Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    South West Regional Rep Alastair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Somthing for the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    Ferodo ds2500 are pretty good from cold if you cna get them to fit your calipers?

4 paddle clutch on stock size flywheel is the cheapest upgrade after the valeo, should be ok on your setup.
    Cheers Brigsy, i like the sound of that as it will involve less work! Although if the 215mm wheel bolts straight up and the clutches are around the same price would it be sensible to just get it done, and be over engineered as it were - unless there are any downsides i cant think of?

Or are they a pain to do / lot heavier?

Post Thanks / Like

Ferodo ds2500 are pretty good from cold if you cna get them to fit your calipers?
    Used them on the old cup car for sprints and they were best of the options we tried, never tried them on longer stints on track though

Post Thanks / Like

Engine rebuilt again this week, it needed a set of rings... quaife box rebuilt after the driveshaft decided to drop it's bearings and looks like i will be ready for the Three Counties Stages Rally near Honiton on Sunday...

http://www.bdcc.org.uk/threecountiesstages.html
    If anyone fancies coming along it is free for spectators, i'll see if i can finish the event this time!

Oh and i am looking for another quick rack, the TAZ one i have has a tight spot where the pinion is bent (from new)...

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread mate nice work

Post Thanks / Like

Just been for a run up to the MoT station and dropped it off. Steering is ridiculously heavy with R888 and quick rack.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alastair View Post
    Just been for a run up to the MoT station and dropped it off. Steering is ridiculously heavy with R888 and quick rack.
    quick rack removed as it broke after 10 minutes... the only replacement i could get was a campus 4 turn jobbie and it is pants for tight corners. Just finished at Boris' place welding up the massive hole in the zorst and all loaded up and ready for the racing tomorrow at Smetharpe!

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Best of luck bud!!
    Matt5@codered

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Matt,

Well what a day, we arrived with dubious brakes that just wouldnt bleed to give a good feel after replacing a rear caliper, a campus steering rack and totally knackered from a week of engine rebuilding and gearbox changing. The engine had 3 miles on it ... it is now run in of a fashion .

Stage 1, steady run until the Tilton bias valve in the car turned into a fountain out of the top of the lever! No brakes at the rear and limped it back on the fronts Removed the bias valve and bridged the lines, a quick bleed and time for stage 2!

Stage 2 was fairly sedate, as we again couldn't get them to feel right. The following stages were ok, including a minor oil leak from the guage line, untill on SS7 we had front brake failure, one of the flexi (also brand new) lines exploded and we lost fronts at 110 mph, this involved a detour over a few tyres/fences, round a field and back on to limp back for repair and the final stage. By this time we were about 40th of 73, not bad as that included a 4 minute time penalty (navigator error - cost us 10+ places) and poor brakes all day.

The lads cobbled together a new flexi and we had 30 seconds service time left as we finished putting the wheel back on

Stage 8 was awesome, the first 2 chicanes we had poor brakes, but as the residual fluid burned off the brakes got better and better, and after a mile we really went for it (first time all day), needless to say we were 6th overall on that stage, 1 second off an Aston DBR9 rally car and the others were 4wd WRC cars - I was very happy with that! Just shows the car really does have some potential to do ok

Final result: A full finish - the aim, position 37 (would have been top 20 without time penalty), lots of issues identified / solved and looking good for the next event.

The car attracted lots of attention including an ex-R5 coupe racer who was a really nice chap. Lots to do to get it ready including fixing a bit of front bumper paint but it will have to wait untill i am next in the UK... Pics in my album for those interested (in 10 mins). Awesome day out and thanks to all those that helped

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear youve had fun...ill get mine done at some point and hopefully... get out in the car once more...., good going buddy, sounds fun.

Post Thanks / Like

I found a site with a few photos of me going rather sideways and smoking all the tyres - and hoovering up a few tyres during a minor crash Thought you might like to see - poor car

http://www.teltphotography.com/R-270610-73.aspx

Post Thanks / Like

great stuff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blot View Post
    great stuff

You not doing the Tyneside stages this weekend Tony? I though you would be all over that!

Hows your motor getting along?

I will definitely be doing the Croft stages again in January I think we are going to be fighting over all the second hand front bumpers over the next couple of years given our track records so far

Post Thanks / Like

Just been sent a load of photos through the post... this was before the brake line popped! Thought i'd share as it isn't often you see a 5 going sideways - unless your called Blot!

Post Thanks / Like

looks amazing mate

Post Thanks / Like

You not doing the Tyneside stages this weekend Tony? I though you would be all over that!

Hows your motor getting along?

I will definitely be doing the Croft stages again in January I think we are going to be fighting over all the second hand front bumpers over the next couple of years given our track records so far
    Great way of weight saving tho

Ey oop Alastair, time been taken up with other stuff and car has been sat in garage with knackered slave cylinder since May. Did actually start the car today for first time since then!
    Aiming to do xmas stages again, bring on the snow!!

Post Thanks / Like

Al, I still have some video footage I took from the smeathorpe stages if you want it? Your 5 was my favorite car of the day for sure man, I liked the 100% or go home approach

Post Thanks / Like

Boris, cheers m8 , some video uploaded to youtube for those interested...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTs8U4hbwcc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRauzqz7IZQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu_mRYyemus

I like the last one as you can compare speed with the competition in the same class. It was later in the day that we really went for it (and sideways lots) as we had brake issues all morning!

Post Thanks / Like

Project update - Increase Ground clearance...

Having damaged my sidey at almost every event and Boris getting annoyed at repairing it we decided to have a day making a new system. The old sidey was a quality BMS item and was 90db, and fitted very nicely, we offered up a couple of after market exhausts and they all hung way too low from the DP at the front and didn't have many fixing points.

We started with what we think was a Magnex system, and removed 40mm from the front where it joins the DP, then tweaked the centre section to go around the tank heatshield without knocking and added an extra hangar, then mounted up the rear box. this needed new hangars, a tailpipe, and a minor repair!

The end result is in the pics, with the lowest point under the car the floorpan...! This means that my old BMS sidey is up for grabs if anyone is interested, just drop me a PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Just found some more footage of another stage, uploaded to U-Tube for those interested, i just like the sound of my poor old sidey want it back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3gjbULtIX8

Post Thanks / Like

Ive been doing some thinking and am considering trying to get a lower class entry for the 5 in future competitions, however i wouldnt want to spend a fortune...

As turbos times you engine capacity by 1.7 i regularly have to compete with 400bhp+ cars which i dont think is too fair against an old iron c1j...! Anyone got any suggestions for NA engines up to:

1600cc or upto 2000cc that would bolt up to my quaife box...?

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated, particularly with potential power outputs and bhp per $ thoughts too!

Al

Post Thanks / Like

Just fitted full efi, been for a quick test run at a bar of boostings, and have to say I am stunned! The best change I have done to the 5. Throttle response and mid range torque massively improved, much more power at the same boost, and running 15 to 20 degrees c cooler???

For all those thinking of doing it all I can say is bite the bullet, and get on with it, you won't be dissapointed. Transforms the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you going to give us any information of what EFI system you have fitted matey??

Sounds like your having great fun with the car!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hebden View Post
    Are you going to give us any information of what EFI system you have fitted matey??

Sounds like your having great fun with the car!!
    Hi Chris, still a long way to go to get the EFi up to where i was with the carb, but the initial test run today was amazing.

I'll upload a few pics from my phone and post them up.... cant believe just how much more mid range torque there is, Scoff was right about the hole in the ignition map. The most bizzare change is the lower running temps - very strange, it was 15 degrees cooler and on a warmer day!

And fitted:

Last edited by Alastair; 24-04-2011 at 23:37.

Post Thanks / Like

can anyone identify what model the tb is from?

Post Thanks / Like

looks a bit mondeowy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT ANDY View Post
    looks a bit mondeowy
    Any idea of which model Andy? I have googled it and can't see anything similar, just a plain sealed TB with a TPS as standard...?

Any guesses on the fuel rail?

Post Thanks / Like

what manufacturer is the potentiometer on the side? might give a clue

Post Thanks / Like

Any idea of which model Andy? I have googled it and can't see anything similar, just a plain sealed TB with a TPS as standard...?

Any guesses on the fuel rail?
    Not sure - looks like a very basic t/b, what size is the throat and what are the measurements for the mountings for the tps?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT ANDY View Post
    Not sure - looks like a very basic t/b, what size is the throat and what are the measurements for the mountings for the tps?
    Andy i'll have a look and post up, would be interesting to be able to source replacement parts or perhaps put a kit together/ list of part numbers for those wanting to go EFi.
    --------
    UPDATE, just been for a run out, my old turbo let go (T28 RB), the bearings were a little rattly ad then seized, fortunately with no damage to the compressor ad engine (i was going steady beleive it or not) Nearly 9 years of punishment finally saw it off

--------

Just fitted an ADAM L custom turbo with RB core, .42 compressor and cant remember the turbine spec off the top of my head, but it is soooooo much better! making boost at 2k and 22psi by 3.6k.... with the efi all i can say is i am stunned, the next rally is going to be interesting if i can pedal it somewhere near it's potential...

New turbo has loads of surge though - will it hurt it - or should i fit a D/V...

Going for a r/r session when in 6 weeks when i get back from work (leave today), and about to take it out with a video camera so i can see the guages when on boost, i'll try and post up some footage later!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that sounds like the ideal turbo for a c1j.

Post Thanks / Like

Set up is low comp terabusi pistons and honed up liners, new renault head (full height) and corteco blue HG. Decided to check the compression as it has been breathing really heavy for a while now, results as follows:

103, 115, 103, 108 dry at WoT from 1 to 4. in Psi

Really quite low!!!

So i put 2/3 squirts of oil into the bores and re did them:

112, 120, 102, 110 - wet 1 to 4

+9, +5, -1, +2 (No3 had slow cranking speed will re-do)

Not sure what to make of these as they are pretty even, but very low, i thought the wet test would have made a bigger difference?

Any thoughts from peeps?

Post Thanks / Like

Ive got some new valves and guides to fit too so was going to put a piston and liner kit in and some total seal rings to try and control the heavy breathing... When i honed up the liners i think i might have taken a bit too much off them, i used a set of stones pretty much!

Thing is it is still going well and i am meant to be doing a sprint next week end...

Jesus you up for a shakedown at St Eval (near newquay) next week end?

Post Thanks / Like

only just seen this... FANTASTIC! love the car and all that you have done to it. it sounded lovely with the sidey on.

TOP work. real fair play pal. keep it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jamie,

So anyone got any thoughts on the compression results?

Also anyone know who can supply total seal piston rings?

Al

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jamie,

So anyone got any thoughts on the compression results?

Also anyone know who can supply total seal piston rings?

Al
    Have tried Mike and Performance unlimited who need to know the ring thicknesses and groove depths... Can anyone confirm these?

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive got some new valves and guides to fit too so was going to put a piston and liner kit in and some total seal rings to try and control the heavy breathing... When i honed up the liners i think i might have taken a bit too much off them, i used a set of stones pretty much!

Thing is it is still going well and i am meant to be doing a sprint next week end...

Jesus you up for a shakedown at St Eval (near newquay) next week end?
    good going al`.......whats happening at st eval my good man...i did the hillclimb school , it was fantastic....90mph into hollow bend , into second gear at karousel, up over the rise at 65 plus and round ashes bend to a straight 106mph over the finish...., be good to catch up buddy , give us a bell when youve chance!, ps the megane was better than i gave it credit......

Post Thanks / Like

Have tried Mike and Performance unlimited who need to know the ring thicknesses and groove depths... Can anyone confirm these?
    Evening chaps... i need some assistance!

Mike 16v and I have been trying to source some total seal piston rings and have found the UK importer a bit unhelpful despite Mike posting him a piston to measure!

What we need to know is the dimensions of a new top compression ring, standard OE spec.

He measured it at 1.85mm, and apparently 'they dont exist'

If the ringland was worn then the 1.75mm would fit.

Does anyone have a data sheet with the OE ring dimensions they can help us out with?

Grateful for any assistance - i know some people run them so they must be available!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Evening chaps... i need some assistance!

Mike 16v and I have been trying to source some total seal piston rings and have found the UK importer a bit unhelpful despite Mike posting him a piston to measure!

What we need to know is the dimensions of a new top compression ring, standard OE spec.

He measured it at 1.85mm, and apparently 'they dont exist'

If the ringland was worn then the 1.75mm would fit.

Does anyone have a data sheet with the OE ring dimensions they can help us out with?

Grateful for any assistance - i know some people run them so they must be available!!!
    Haynes has come through,
    1.75mm top
    2.0mm No 2
    4.0mm Oil control

Now i need to measure the depths!

Post Thanks / Like

Quick update, while the head is off for new pistons, liners and rings i thought it about time to fit the power steering, the 172 rack went in ok and i have raised the rear engine mount by 10 mm to clear the pipes. I intend to put the 106 electric pump behind the passenger foot rest and box it in... I've taken some pics and will upload them later, and will report back on how the steering feels!

Also gone even wider track and added more castor, this should give me more wheel to strut clearance for more negative camber without having to use spacers which give lots of torque steer!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget the gearbox oil to add to that list dude

This car is awesome and I really REALLY need to go out in it ASAP

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Chris, cheers for the hand with the ARB the other day, drive shaft gaiter now repaired with a jubilee clip... I'll replace it or get it banded properly IDC

I've just finished the new engine build and fitted a new fuel system. It looks very shiny and sounds great. The compression was very high when turning the engine over by hand!

I also found out that the FPR is set to 4 Bar I had guessed it was set to 3

The power steering rack is in, and the power steering pump wiring loom is in, i just need to mount the pump and connect the pipes...

For those that are interested here are a few pics... (i know it needs a clean)

Album here: https://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php...pictureid=2838

Post Thanks / Like

Just remembered the heat shielding on the PAS pipes is silicone hose with bako foil glued in 3 layers on top with silicone sealant Works a treat though PMT FTW.

Post Thanks / Like

looking good mate what rack are you using

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by modfather View Post
    looking good mate what rack are you using
    Thanks, am using a Clio 182 PAS rack. Not too much fiddling to make it fit, but I had the head off so had access...! Pump from a 106. If anyone needs more info i took a load of pics as i went along.

Post Thanks / Like

my steering is mega heavy and have thought about pas but didnt know what choices i had, some pics would be good and more info. maybe you could start a thread up on fitting pas

Post Thanks / Like

Looks nicely installed mate what ecu are you using??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by modfather View Post
    my steering is mega heavy and have thought about pas but didnt know what choices i had, some pics would be good and more info. maybe you could start a thread up on fitting pas
    Yeah could do, got to fit the pump first...! I have managed to keep costs down by using the standard pipes (with a few extra bends ) and joining them with compression fittings from the local Pirtec. But it all depends where you want to put the pump.

Your best with a 106 pump though, everyone uses them and they are 50 squid for a good second hand unit. 172 racks are also 2.7 lock to lock so you get a quicker rack too. Wiring needs a 30 Amp relay and some decent cable, ive run mine on a switch so i can start the pump once the engine is running, but you could run it off the fuel pump relay latch for the same affect.

If you decide to do it let me know and ill give you my number.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks nicely installed mate what ecu are you using??
    Hey Bud. Using a R19 16v ECU with a BBPT fast chip. Same one as used here that made 240ish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rqc2uuiV6U

Plan to get mine on the RR once the new rings are bedded in.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet! Can that ecu be mapped if you have the software? like the clio 16v ecu?