Post Thanks / Like

Surge tank

I've been looking at fuel pump options for the 19 turbo build & was going to get a walbro or a bosch 040 in-tank. I've been put off the walbro due to the amount of failures & walbros ****e CS (according to alot you read on the net) & the bosch is huge & requires alot of modding to the cradle, plus it doesn't run a sock so if not set up in the right place in the tank it will suffer with surge alot more.

So, it got me onto surge tanks, now in an ideal world, a 1 or 2l tank fed by my standard pump to a 044 would be good but I understand that a low pressure pump is used as the pick up.
    Does that mean I shouldn't use the standard pump or would it be ok?

ta
    Steve

South West Regional Rep Alastair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Surge tank

Steve the standard pump to a swirl pot will be fine, just make sure the return is at least as big as the supply line. The 044 may be too big too, i would go for a Sytec 020/whatever (basically walbro - dont beleive all the hype - most rally teams use them in v harsh conditions, just make sure you use a pre-high pressure pump filter.)

The lady on the end of the phone at this website is very helpful and they carry everything you need in stock.

http://www.fuelpumpsonline.co.uk/wal...rice-249-p.asp

I would plumb in like this: OE tank pump and fuel filter to a swirl pot, return line to tank. swirl pot to HP filter, HP pump to fuel rail, FPR, to swirl pot.

Hope you get sorted m8. 1 ltr swirl pot should be fine too

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alastair View Post
    Steve the standard pump to a swirl pot will be fine, just make sure the return is at least as big as the supply line. The 044 may be too big too, i would go for a Sytec 020/whatever (basically walbro - dont beleive all the hype - most rally teams use them in v harsh conditions, just make sure you use a pre-high pressure pump filter.)

The lady on the end of the phone at this website is very helpful and they carry everything you need in stock.

http://www.fuelpumpsonline.co.uk/wal...rice-249-p.asp

I would plumb in like this: OE tank pump and fuel filter to a swirl pot, return line to tank. swirl pot to HP filter, HP pump to fuel rail, FPR, to swirl pot.

Hope you get sorted m8. 1 ltr swirl pot should be fine too
    Thanks Alistair, & it's for my 19 turbo build so I think the 044 will be ok since I'm aiming for 300bhp+

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Alistair on this, I'm sure most of the walbro trouble comes from ebay pumps. I got my pumps from the link he posted. The test results they show are pumps they have tested. The 044 is a massive pump, and well over what you need, even the HP 255 is massive.

I just picked this comparison off the net, so I wouldn't trust it as I don't know what voltage it is, but it's an example:

75psi is about 5 bar, 3 bar pressure plus 2 bar of boost and pressure drop. 200LPH will run 4 833cc injectors flat out (less what leaks through your regulator).

I used a Bosch 191(?), cheaper, smaller, lighter, and draws less current than the 044, but only then because I wanted 7 bar without an alternator. With an alternator I may have chosen something else.
    Last edited by Andrew Cooke; 14-08-2011 at 10:11.

Post Thanks / Like

So are you saying I don't need a big pump ? As long as it's rated to 5 bar & flows 200lph it should be ok ? Would make it easier to get a pump if thats the case. I thought i'd need a larger pump for 1:5 bar boost on a 1.816v ?
    Will the standard efi pump be to much to fill a 1l surge tank ? If it is I will drop a low pressure unit in... Or just go with a drop in walbro evo pump...

Post Thanks / Like

I can't recall what size injectors you have, say they're 500cc/min x4 is 2L/min flat out, so that's 120L/hr plus whatever leaks past your pressure regulator. It should be nothing, but I doubt that's the case.

in this example: as a minimum you want 120L/hr at 5 bar at the voltage you'll see at your pump (assume 12V : 13.7V less some drop in the wiring). Note this is not the same as a 120L/min 5bar pump, it needs to do both at the same time....

I'd imagine the standard pump will be fine as a lift pump, just ensure the return from collector to tank is large enough that you don't pressurise the collector (as said by Alastair).

Post Thanks / Like

I'd have to ask Robbie (Turbo Ted) what the injectors flow, pretty sure he said they were 80% @ 3 bar @ 18psi when he had it mapped by Scoff where it made around 320hp IIRC.