Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

b18ft does it need a coolant header tank or can it have a filler on the rad?

First post!

Hi peeps, i have just got my car back from having a bit of fabrication work done and it came back with the new rad having a filler cap attached! is there any way of converting it to not having an expansion tank? if so would this be safe or would it be a bad idea? any info would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: b18ft does it need a coolant header tank or can it have a filler on the rad?

If there is a small return to the rad to help bleed it and you pipe it up differently I seee no probs.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: b18ft does it need a coolant header tank or can it have a filler on the rad?

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Do you know if its been done before? would the rad need to be the highest point to enable air to be bled?

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

where would the water go when expanded? you could use a deguassing pot like on a gtt to get the air out of the system but then it would be trapped in the rad. you could use a campus expansion tank off the rad like a turbo 2 set up but you'd still need a bleed screw at the back of the block as thats the highest point, poss a tap off the smallest port ?

Post Thanks / Like

The smallest port is a bleed valve should have a little brass screw in it, that can be used as you wont be taking back yo the headder. Like haz said (which I didnt think about) the water needs to be able to expand. Why not just use the headder tank with that rad or do you want the headder done away with?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SCHWARTZ View Post
    The smallest port is a bleed valve should have a little brass screw in it, that can be used as you wont be taking back yo the headder. Like haz said (which I didnt think about) the water needs to be able to expand. Why not just use the headder tank with that rad or do you want the headder done away with?
    I just wanted to use the new rad as i spent a fair bit having it made and it fits lovely. I wasn't precious about getting rid of the header tank but it would be nice to have one less thing cluttering up the bay but if needs must and i can get away with having the header tank with my rad then so be it.

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder if its poss to plumb it up similarly to a campus water system as this uses an expansion bottle instead of a header tank, would clear the engine bay up abit mate.

May have to look into this or if not you'll just have to block the outlet on the rad and plumb it up the conventinal way

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markey Mark (BD) View Post
    Wonder if its poss to plumb it up similarly to a campus water system as this uses an expansion bottle instead of a header tank, would clear the engine bay up abit mate.

May have to look into this or if not you'll just have to block the outlet on the rad and plumb it up the conventinal way
    Yeah thats what i'm thinking. its gunna be a mess of pipes any two ways its done so i should just do it the reliable tried and tested way. however definately up for looking into it tho as the header tank will be in a ****e place next to the turbo as i don't want to be cutting holes in me new paint to put it in the bulkhead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fred rowland View Post

Yeah thats what i'm thinking. its gunna be a mess of pipes any two ways its done so i should just do it the reliable tried and tested way. however definately up for looking into it tho as the header tank will be in a ****e place next to the turbo as i don't want to be cutting holes in me new paint to put it in the bulkhead.
    I did cut a hole in my bulkhead to run my pipes through it as my header tank is in scuttle area, as you say with header tank in there will be abit oif a aqueeze and tight.
    We'll measure it all up one day mate, sure can come up with a way of plumbing up possible without header tank.