Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

what clutch

Right I've made a cock up with my clutch I've the 200mm volvo and a 215mm flywheel what clutch can I buy off the shelf that will hold 260bhp and fit my gtturbo box? But im under the impression I can't use a 215mm flywheel? Just would like some suggestions on what to buy that won't cost the earth and what people are using now?

Many thanks

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: what clutch

Quote Originally Posted by steer from the rear View Post
    Right I've made a cock up with my clutch I've the 200mm volvo and a 215mm flywheel what clutch can I buy off the shelf that will hold 260bhp and fit my gtturbo box? But im under the impression I can't use a 215mm flywheel? Just would like some suggestions on what to buy that won't cost the earth and what people are using now?

Many thanks

Why are you under the impression you can't use the 215mm flywheel?

If your going adaptronic you need the 215mm flywheel, so as you say you need to sell on the 200mm clutch you have. The options you have are the volvo 215mm clutch, 172, 182 clio clutches, but to hold 260bhp you would really need at least a paddle friction plate and valeo cover maybe the volvo 215mm turbo clutch on the later years might work but not sure it will cope with 260+.

What size are the meganne turbo flywheels? would a clutch from one of them work?

Or you could use the same clutch as turbo Ted and Markey mark which cost just shy of £1k

South West Regional Rep Alastair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Get a full helix paddle and be done with it, 215mm, i think techcraft were cheapest? Alternatively use the volvo 440 cover and a helix 4 paddle centre on a 200mm fly.

Couple of threads on here about it. Do a search and they will come up.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Helix autosport think a group n cover £180 and a organic plate £ 78. will hold upto 250bhp. Do I try that or pay the extra and but a cerametallic plate for 150. I'm JUST PEED OFF I ended up with a bloody 200mm when I was sure it was 215mm clutch I ordered

What about these techniclutch people on ebay they seem cheap for a performance clutch. Item num 260550788511
    Last edited by steer from the rear; 20-07-2011 at 14:20.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Flywheel drilled, tapped and fitted with the 200mm volvo cover. 1 AP 4 paddle friction plate ordered for tomorrow

Post Thanks / Like

Flywheel drilled, tapped and fitted with the 200mm volvo cover. 1 AP 4 paddle friction plate ordered for tomorrow

Good man didn't think about that but for the power you are wanting will be fine

Post Thanks / Like

What about these techniclutch people on ebay they seem cheap for a performance clutch. Item num 260550788511
    my experience with them isn't first hand, but its not great...

my bro built a corsa redtop on jenveys, it was 250bhp.... the techniclutch that cost over £170 warped after 500miles, we chucked in a halfords LUK one as a temporary measure and it didn't slip at all.. techniclutch denied any warranty so he had a hardly used clutch that was useless, i'd avoid at all costs tbh

Post Thanks / Like

Keep as far away from techniclutch as you can. they sell **** clutches sprayed red that are not even up to oe quality.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I googled techniclutch O DEAR I've read from nissan skyines with clutch coves that don't line up with bolt holes and people with fords and the list goes on! I've read there after sales was great too the dude puts the phone down lol

I've made the right choice I've pics to go up on my project later of the modifications of my flywheel

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah for 260 bhp you'll be fine with the paddle & valeo cover, I doubt you'll make as much torque & it's the torque you need to be looking at I think James has this on his car at the mo running 15 psi on a 200sx unit.

I've been talking to techcraft today funny enough about clutches for my 19 build, looks like I'll have to go down the same route as Robbie & Mark, custom clutch on a stepped flywheel etc. to hold the power, they did say I may be able to get away with an organic plate though (for up to around 300lbft, the ceremetalic in the same cover will take near on 400lbft )
    I will prob be running less than 300lbft but my idea was if I did any drag at least I have a bit left over to allow for the extra grip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5teve L View Post
    Yeah for 260 bhp you'll be fine with the paddle & valeo cover, I doubt you'll make as much torque & it's the torque you need to be looking at I think James has this on his car at the mo running 15 psi on a 200sx unit.

Helix paddle friction plate + valeo cover + 15psi + S14 T28 = Seems to work well for me

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going T3 4x4 cossie blower now as just can't afford to have this hunk of crap t28 fixed. 200 quid is fine for a rebuild and that's what I will pay for a cossie one to be rebuilt but as soon as I said needs a compressor wheel and not to sure about the turbine shaft it then became 400+

I'm sure it will cope though if not out it comes and order the ap cover