Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re-shelling A 5

My GT turbo was majorly rotten beyond repair, so i rebuilt it with a GTX shell. The way i see it is the car is still the original GT turbo, and I have reg docs for both the cars.
    Obviously i want to keep it as a GT turbo but how legitimate is this and has anyone else done this ?? chassis no.s etc ??

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Re-shelling A 5

its not "ringing" as you are the realy owner so i can see a problem just swap the chassis plate and number plate over ect

Post Thanks / Like

There is a good thread on the subject here http://passionford.com/forum/general...ell-a-car.html although it is about cossies it's pretty much the same question.

Very grey area though tbh, are you making the GTX into a replica or you planning to swap VIN numbers and stuff....

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have contacted the DVLA who say they can change the engine capacity on the V5 which means I dont have to pay the GTX £210.00 a year tax. If they do this I think ill have to keep it on the GTX V5.
    According to the DVLA if you use a 2nd hand bodyshell from another car it has to be re-registered on a Q plate, unless the bodyshell is brand new then you can use the original V5.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boustie View Post
    My GT turbo was majorly rotten beyond repair, so i rebuilt it with a GTX shell. The way i see it is the car is still the original GT turbo, and I have reg docs for both the cars.
    Obviously i want to keep it as a GT turbo but how legitimate is this and has anyone else done this ?? chassis no.s etc ??

Changing the id of a shell to another registered id is not legal mate, you are basically "ringing". It doesn't matter that you own both, so neither is stolen, its still "ringing". You can do it if you want, but its at you own risk. Depends if you don't mind a good ring reaming if you get found out lol. If it was legal to do, there would be lots of 5 owners buying the latest/cleanest Campus they can find & making it into a GTT, not a replica. I'm sure there's a few already done, but it is not really a GTT , its a "ringer".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boustie View Post
    I have contacted the DVLA who say they can change the engine capacity on the V5 which means I dont have to pay the GTX £210.00 a year tax. If they do this I think ill have to keep it on the GTX V5.
    According to the DVLA if you use a 2nd hand bodyshell from another car it has to be re-registered on a Q plate, unless the bodyshell is brand new then you can use the original V5.
    Thats sounds right, Q for "questionable provinence" . I'd rather have a fully documented replica than a Q plated GTT that for sure, probably worth more as well.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

going to keep it registered on the GTX V5. Ill still keep the original GT turbo V5 open for the history to show its origin.
    How much less will it be worth though ??

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

You can reshell, but whatever you do, don't take the vin plate off or change the chassis number. All you need to do is swap everything from the GTT over and take photos ideally when you do it to prove it's been done, then change the chassis number on the V5 of the turbo to the new chassis number. The DVLA will probably want to do an inspection, but this is the right way to do it. Also it would help if you had a receipt for the GTX even if it is just a written one.
    You may have to do an IVA or SVA or whatever it's called these days Basically a super MOT for kit cars and conversions etc.

Whatever you do though DON'T swap the Vin Plate or anything like that as it WILL end up on a Q plate. Doing the above method will also retain your numberplate.

Also if you're keeping it as a GTX make sure you get confirmation that your insurance company recognise it has a turbo conversion, because otherwise if you insure it as a GTX then you're not going to be covered in case of an accident.

One last thing though, the GTX would need to be the same age or newer than the GT Turbo, as you can't make a vehicle appear newer than it is. There are some documents on the DVLA site about this.

Hope this helps

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

i know its not the legal way to do it but i generaly take the line that provided its for your own use and you are not trying to defraud anyone then DVLA dont need to know.

lets face it if you tell them they are just going to give you loads of hassle, loose your documents, send you new ones with errors and be generaly unhelpfull.

if you are good with a welder and grinder or know someone who is then there is no reason why anyone should ever know

Scotland Regional Rep youngscottie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

food for thought
    fraud is worse than murder

ky jelly and hm prison free to all participents

contact vosa for answers as there going to be correct and not internet hearsay

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

To keep the original VIN no. As i read this from the DVLA website, because the body shell is second hand then the car will need to be inspected and then put on a Q reg:
    ================================================== ============
    In order to retain the original registration mark:
    cars and car-derived vans must use:

The original unmodified chassis or unaltered bodyshell (i.e. body and chassis as one unit - monocoque); or a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same specification as the original supported by evidence from the dealer or manufacturer (e.g. receipt).

And two other major components from the original vehicle - ie suspension (front & back); steering assembly; axles (both); transmission or engine.

If a second-hand chassis or monocoque bodyshell is used a car must pass an Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) and light goods vans must have a enhanced single vehicle approval (ESVA) or single vehicle approval (SVA) test after which a "Q" prefix registration number will be allocated.
    ================================================== ============
    I dont want a Q plate but how much less is the car worth registered as a GTX ??????
    confused....

Post Thanks / Like

It's only ever going to be worth what someone is willing to pay and if that someone wants to pay more for a rotten GT rather than a mint GT replica then more fool them really, just transfer all the GT specific parts over and make a mint GT replica as true to a GT as can be.

If you are really that worried about the value decreasing I suggest you expose everyone who has read this thread to one of these http://www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets/...-/Product.html, have the thread deleted then go with one of the more questionable methods suggested.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bought one ha