Post Thanks / Like

Aem tru boost and afr

Well im a happy chappie, got my car back together and its alive again. I have been fitting my gauges so just after some advice, I have been running my engine on 10psi for 700 miles now via a bleed valve, i have had no idea how well it was running without having an afr gauge, i checked the plugs regular and they were fine and its only getting about 15mpg so must be rich .

I now have my gauges in and im looking to set the car up, first im guessing the boost is best, im going to go up to 1 bar about 14psi, i have watched the aem video on youtube and it mentions duty cycles and spring pressures, any tip guys . I know James has a tru boost so hoping he can point me in the best direction and give me an idea on how his is set or anyone else care to comment.

I have an idea on afrs i believe 14.5 idle 13 normal driving and 12 is good for wot. I have not driven car yet just checking for leaks first but its running bang on 14.5 at idle once warmed up.

I guess the lower the number the richer the car is, what are bad numbers at normal driving and wot?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aem tru boost and afr

leaning out with WOT will do the damage so dont go any leaner than 12-12.2 at WOT normal driving 13-14. If youre going to use bigger injectors with your new turbo setting up the fueling will be a bit of a bitch so get it good at WOT and as best as ya can every where else

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

AEM Tru boost is easy to setup

I take it you have it all wirded up correctly and the light's all come on with ingition live? i also assume you are using the correct solenoid ports?

1st step is to set the boost reading to PSI, hold thise 2 tiny nipples in for a fews secs and then release it should say PRG or something along those lines

Ignore scramble boost I didn't install sounded to dangerous this basically allows you to overboost for a few sec's to which you can programme yourself, as said i didn't install at all (saw no point if your setting it up for max boost anyway why would you want to risk det / knock?)

Choose internal pressure sensor of the gauge,

Alarm set at a psi you want it to flash at (duty cycle) say @ 1 psi above what you want to run when activated it should automatically put you straight back to actuator pressure.

Spring pressure is basically the cracking pressure / when the actuator starts to open I had mine set @ about 5psi even though actuator was set @ 14psi the cracking pressure would be before that.

I also set the boost gauge reading value to 30psi which is the max for the gauge built in pressure sensor,

The gauge works on duty cycle's I used Boost setting A and set it 42 and that was giving me 24psi @ manifold. I would suggest you go in alot lower say 10 duty cycles and see what boost level it is giving you and increase another 10 duty cycles until you get to near where you want to be and then just fine tune with increments of 1 duty cycle up or down until you get the boost level you want whilst doing this keep and eye on your afr's I tend to look for a max of 12.1 @ WOT. (Good thing with the AEM tru boost is you can sit in the car and increase or decrease boost).

I also mirror'd the Boost setting A for boost setting B as I was using carb so no point in having 2 different settings and prob be the same for yourself on the B18ft.

Post Thanks / Like

i found on the dyno and a calibrated gauge that the aem tru boost gauge reads the spikes as the max boost, basically you have to watch the gauge whilst going down the road to see what boost its holding

and the spring pressure i dont know if it was the car that it was fitted too (Classic mini turbo engine), but the default spring pressure of 2psi was the best out of 3 runs at different pressures one at the lowest and one i think at 5psi

Post Thanks / Like

Yes ig live and ports one and two i think, the one on the left and the bottom, we left the little filter on where it came from the factory.

So i will ignore scramble.

Alarm on 14psi say 15-16psi.

Set to max 30psi.

I fancy a low boost and high say 14 and 16psi, so i would set up on a and b with different duty cycles to get the desired boost levels.

Does that mean i can set two alarms to?

Post Thanks / Like

im looking to get a tru boost to but i dont now how will i hoke the solenoid to the system

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philg View Post
    Yes ig live and ports one and two i think, the one on the left and the bottom, we left the little filter on where it came from the factory.

So i will ignore scramble.

Alarm on 14psi say 15-16psi.

Set to max 30psi.

I fancy a low boost and high say 14 and 16psi, so i would set up on a and b with different duty cycles to get the desired boost levels.

Does that mean i can set two alarms to?

Unfortunatly only 1 alarm level is able to be set I would just go in and set boost for 16psi max

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks james, big help

Post Thanks / Like

I have been out and had a bit of a play, i have been getting afr readings of 13s just part throttle, if i give it full beans at wot in 3rd and 4th im getting about 10.5 and in 5th i get 11, so im guessing the car is running rich.

I ran the duty cycle at 70% and it drives great about 11psi, if i up it to 75% it starts to hesitate and splutter and hits 13psi. Wot was still 10.5-11.

I thought it was struggling for fuel so i messed around with my afm it was reading around 450ohms so adjusted it up a bit at a time untill it was up to 700ohms it was still hesitating and not making much of a difference to my afr at wot .

I then dropped the duty cycle down to 70% and car runs great again.

Im sure its my car does not have a richmod like i thought and it is a standard ecu and im hitting overboost. Its that how the overboost feels on the b18 gary?

Im sure they are set to overboost at 0.9 bar which is around 13.5psi.

If thats the case its a send to scoff job.

To get my afrs down at wot will i just turn down the afm to get around 12, remember im running bigger injectors so maybe thats why is miles out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philg View Post
    I have been out and had a bit of a play, i have been getting afr readings of 13s just part throttle, if i give it full beans at wot in 3rd and 4th im getting about 10.5 and in 5th i get 11, so im guessing the car is running rich.

I ran the duty cycle at 70% and it drives great about 11psi, if i up it to 75% it starts to hesitate and splutter and hits 13psi. Wot was still 10.5-11.

I thought it was struggling for fuel so i messed around with my afm it was reading around 450ohms so adjusted it up a bit at a time untill it was up to 700ohms it was still hesitating and not making much of a difference to my afr at wot .

I then dropped the duty cycle down to 70% and car runs great again.

Im sure its my car does not have a richmod like i thought and it is a standard ecu and im hitting overboost. Its that how the overboost feels on the b18 gary?

Im sure they are set to overboost at 0.9 bar which is around 13.5psi.

If thats the case its a send to scoff job.

To get my afrs down at wot will i just turn down the afm to get around 12, remember im running bigger injectors so maybe thats why is miles out.
    70% duty cycle sounds to much for 11psi of boost, sounds like you are using the wrong ports. You should be using ports 2 & 3 with the vacum pipes (turn duty cycle down to about 25% now) as said I was seeing 24-25psi @ 42% duty cycle on mine and port 1 should have the filter muffler on it.

13's part throttle sounds ok, also does sound like your hitting a limiter.
    Last edited by James5; 30-06-2011 at 09:01.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry matey sent my ecu off to be scoff modded before engine was in the car si never drove it with a boost limit. Adjusting the maf will not alter fueling at wot only idle and light throttle, when the maf reads 5v at not many psi adjusting it wont do anything else. This is the problem you will have with bigger injectors to lean it out at wot run more boost and you may need to cut a hole in the pipe inbetween air filter and maf (not too close to maf) this will trick the ecu and it wont put as much fuel in bigger the hole the leaner it gets. Its a bit of a bodge but only way to do it other than standalone.

Post Thanks / Like

im only just trying to get mine running at the moment..
    I have a T28 and orange (I think) injectors, I have a scoff modded ECU but it seems to be running really rich....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadboytank View Post
    im only just trying to get mine running at the moment..
    I have a T28 and orange (I think) injectors, I have a scoff modded ECU but it seems to be running really rich....

Turn up da Boost

Post Thanks / Like

Up the boost and cuy a hole

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    70% duty cycle sounds to much for 11psi of boost, sounds like you are using the wrong ports. You should be using ports 2 & 3 with the vacum pipes (turn duty cycle down to about 25% now) as said I was seeing 24-25psi @ 42% duty cycle on mine and port 1 should have the filter muffler on it.

13's part throttle sounds ok, also does sound like your hitting a limiter.
    Thanks james, just checked, port 2&3 are being used the correct way. I watched the aem video on youtube and they ran a 50% duty cycle which was about 10psi, if i remember right

I did have the vac pipe the wrong way round to start with but soon realised

I was going to ring you James but we got burgled on Sunday night and my phone was taken, so i have no rtoc numbers

Gary i will have a play with the afm setting up for moderate driving and it probably does need some more boost.