Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

New Renault 5 GT Turbo

Just picked up another renault 5 GT Turbo, has been sitting for last 7 years outside, body work is a bit pink but lots of compound and is coming up well, interior is in great condition considering its been outside like that, engine bay looks like spiders have found home and taken up the whole area. Going to be swapping off bits for the items which are better on my car and my mate is doing the same with his, but I recon its too good to break and want it up and running, will upload pics in a bit. It has the old renault 5 gt turbo owners club sticker in the back window so wouldn't mind if anyone knows any history on this car, Reg is F75 BEG

The original eBay ad:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-5-GT-T...item2c5d79bbd3

Suprising what a little bit of cleaning will do, so much more to do though, but will get there

Just realised its 9 years since last seen on the road, its got road tax from 95 to 2002 in the car.

Last edited by Bigfoot; 22-06-2011 at 22:55.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Renault 5 GT Turbo

looks like a canabis factory in the background.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a Peterborough car with the registration 'EG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve - Raider View Post
    Looks like a Peterborough car with the registration 'EG
    It was taxed in cambridge from 95 to 2002 and thats when it came off the road, and has been parked up since just by Saffron Walden

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

why did i not spot that first lol. Did ya get it for next to scrap as that seems like all they wanted by there ad?

Post Thanks / Like

There is another shell for 150 there. This we had to pay a little more as when we went eBay was up to 300 already but managed to pick up before it went stupid high like how some cars are going for on there

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Vary well done I see this on eBay when it first went on looks well tide now a bit of time has been spent on it good luck with it chap!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raider_gtt View Post
    Vary well done I see this on eBay when it first went on looks well tide now a bit of time has been spent on it good luck with it chap!
    Only spent about 2 hours cleaning it, shows how much different that car make, will be working on it again tonight and hopefully get some pictures of the worse parts and more cleaning to do. Clean up the whole of the interior and get rid of the rubbish cluttering up the car, makes a big difference really and doesn't cost any money will be looking at a quick turn around for this car as obviously too many cars between the two of us so will be up for sale once on the road again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post

Good find looks to good to break as you say.

That sticker has got to make it be worth more proper retro, I have one either side in my rear quarter windows....old school cool

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Russ B View Post
    Good find looks to good to break as you say.

That sticker has got to make it be worth more proper retro, I have one either side in my rear quarter windows....old school cool
    Snap!

Got them with my membership packs all those years ago

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks a sound purchase, joys of flea bay! thats why ive got a black 11 turbo on my drive now lol

Post Thanks / Like

Can this be moved to Projects please

Post Thanks / Like

Spent all this afternoon compounding the paint work more, the above pictures weren't quite telling the truth nothing what a bit of water hides, but tonight decided to attack the lot of it, about 50% complete and still want to go over a lot of the panel but suprising how well the colour has come up.

We also put on a batttery, cut the alarm so the buzzer wasn't going off, and poured petrol into the carb, the car turned over nicely, and tried starting but spluttering away, more than likely as it just needs a good flush out and good clean lot of fuel through it. But least we know that the engine seems good to fire just depends on what its like running.

Got some more pictures of how the paintwork is coming along, you will see what the door panels were like and get an idea on how the rest of the car was like

Last edited by Bigfoot; 24-06-2011 at 07:18.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    Can this be moved to Projects please
    Your wish is my command...

Post Thanks / Like

Sam has spent some time this morning doing a few bits, found that the alarm was wired into the fuel relay, removed that, drilled out the fuel cap as have no keys, a bit has fallen into the reserve tank though put all the water pipes and oil pipes in place, plumbed the turbo in and connected to exhaust, car fired up, turbo is smoking so its not a good turbo, going home during lunch break to get my rebuilt turbo to put on there. Then its just some welding to be done and some more compounding on the paint.

Other things which are needed:

Full set of door locks including fuel cap

Post Thanks / Like

Finished the front grill and bumper and went over the orange back bumper, still need to go over the back bumper some more and still a little too orange for my liking. Turbo is now swapped over for a fully refurbished one so engine is not smoking now

Boot now cleared of rubbish and put things back in place, rear lights, one brake light, one fog light, and windows aren't working, got the door cards off so will be looking at why the windows are working, might just need freeing up a bit due to sitting too long. But also need to change over the door locks once we get hold of some of those. Hazards are still flashing away due to alarm but that will hopfully be sorted out tonight, going to empty the reserve tank as well so that can get rid of some of the petrol cap, will then look at the bit of rust, clean it back so it dont look so bad.

Need to clean the engine bay some more especially the pipes, put the rest of the boost pipes in place and air filter so that should finish it off nicely.

Not long left now really before it will be moved on, nothing quite like a quite project

Post Thanks / Like

Engine now back together with hoses, gave another polish over the whole car, had the engine running, freed up some of the brakes, hand brake could do with a bit more going over but brakes good enough, putting side skirt back on tomorrow.

This is now going back on eBay and will put link up on here if anyone is interested in finishing it off, just welding really and its ready for road, engine pulls lovely especially with that turbo and carb is spot on, even the overboost cuts in which we didn't realise what was happening until we wondered why it was popping a bit