Post Thanks / Like

electrical/wiring

im abit gay when it comes to electrics...

so as ive just fitted a larger radiator i need to extend the wiring from the engine loom for it to reach the fan switch and the other one!

what id like to know is what type/ampage wire i should use for the extension?
    also the std wiring when cut into has lots of tiny strands of copper.
    can i use wire that has a single thicker strand of copper?

also, on the loom side,the connector that fixes to the rad fan...what is the brown wire and whats the black wire.?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: electrical/wiring

come on folks, pretty urgent this

would i be right in thinking the std wiring is 5amp? i say this because its really think in comparison with some "i think"15amp wire i have!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raj View Post
    im abit gay when it comes to electrics...

so as ive just fitted a larger radiator i need to extend the wiring from the engine loom for it to reach the fan switch and the other one!

what id like to know is what type/ampage wire i should use for the extension?
    also the std wiring when cut into has lots of tiny strands of copper.
    can i use wire that has a single thicker strand of copper?

also, on the loom side,the connector that fixes to the rad fan...what is the brown wire and whats the black wire.?

dont use solid cable mate, its stranded so that the vibration doesnt work harden the copper

20 amp cable available from halforsds is ample, join with through crimps

check which size fuse protects the circuit then make sure the cable is higher rated than the fuse, so that theres no risk of burning the cable out first

Post Thanks / Like

ive actually just been to halfords and bought a roll of 15amp wire along with some male/female bullet connectors to use to extend the loom side and also some spade connectors to link to the switches. hope it does the job.
    i went for te 15amp cable as i dont see there being any harm in having amp wire with a higher rating, its only when the amp wire is too low a rating is when things get a little hot?!?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raj View Post
    ive actually just been to halfords and bought a roll of 15amp wire along with some male/female bullet connectors to use to extend the loom side and also some spade connectors to link to the switches. hope it does the job.
    i went for te 15amp cable as i dont see there being any harm in having amp wire with a higher rating, its only when the amp wire is too low a rating is when things get a little hot?!?
    yeah you should be fine with that, coat those bullet connectors with vaseline once there connected then tape them up and it will stop them corroding and giving chew further down the road