Post Thanks / Like

Loads of smoke?????

hi all again, after fitting this new rebuilt engine ive just finished running it in, thought id give it a boot with step dads scooby things going all fine until there was plooms of white smoke, got step dad to check all piston compressions and they were wp end 175 175 185 180 fw end so all great pressures and theres no more play in the turbo than when we rebuilt the engine, so it sounds like head gaskets let go, also the water pipes we rock hard with air so if anyones had the same problem, let me know thanx, what we will proberly end up doing is removing the head anyway and filling pistons with petrol but with these good pressures i dont think there will be any petrol displaced thanx again

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Loads of smoke?????

If the pipes are rock hard and its white smoke , chances are you have a head related issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Has the fuelling been setup since rebuild? could have leaned off and damaged the headgasket?? compression sounds very high for a c1j too.

Post Thanks / Like

we fitted the same carb/mani that was on the original engine, the reading were dry readings, to be honest i thought they were abit high, the turbo which has a ar48 outer rating stage2??? was running 20psi,, on the old engine it would never go above 15psi, we bought the complete bottom engine and i just added a bb270 cam, might have to fit new uprated head gasket and lower the boost, i dont no what this turbo is??? any more help apprec thanx

Post Thanks / Like

so you basically fitted a carb setup for a smaller turbo and cam setup that was running 15 psi max

onto a bigger turbo, bigger cam and bigger boost without setting it up with a wideband or det cans?

headgasket sounds like a good guess and then get it setup correctly

Post Thanks / Like

hey fordy the turbo was on the original engine so all that diff on this 1 is the cam, does any1 know what turbo the ar48 is i think ill get the ktec head gasket and go from there any other help is apprec thanx

Committee Member
    North West Regional Area Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

noooo dont go spending on the ktec stuff give mike (gt turbo spares) a shout he will sort you a much better deal out.
    out of interest how many miles has the engine done ? mine had done 109k and rings was gone so i decided rebuild the whole bottom end lol overkill maybe but much improved like a new un

Post Thanks / Like

the engine has just run in that why i find it funny that head gasket may have gone already its done about 1100 miles m8

Post Thanks / Like

Headgasket could go after 2 miles if the fuelling/tune is bad mate. Fix the problem and get it set up properly.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like its the flux capacitor to me!

Post Thanks / Like

thanx peeps ya a good bunch right head gasket, then check head, before i put head on this engine i noticed some tiny cracks between valves they were not all the way across and nothing was said when the springs were changed is this a prob 2??? also just about to start another thread if i cant find it in a search very leaky new cranks seals hmmm n thanx again