Post Thanks / Like

Evo 6

Anyone know anything about them?

thinking of getting one the weekend

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Evo 6

Bit newer than a 5 bit older than the 7 and not as good looking as a 5
    Search wikipedia bit in there. Have you joined the mlr lancer forum, worth a shot
    Last edited by SCHWARTZ; 19-05-2011 at 18:19.

Post Thanks / Like

i think they are what you buy when you're too old for a GTT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markey b View Post
    i think they are what you buy when you're too old for a GTT
    I've got both. What does that make me, in denial?

The main thing to look out for with the VI's these days is rust. There are some REAL sheds out there now. There's a good buying guide on the MLR, which will give you a good place to start

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The new Bill J View Post
    I've got both. What does that make me, in denial?
    Are you undergoing a transition period?

at what age do you become too old for a R5? by the time I get mine finished ill be past it!

Post Thanks / Like

i guess people know this but just a heads up.

My friend had 2 of these.. first one he purchased got stolen on the back of a truck off his drive.

second one got taken away due to outstanding finance.. make you have some where safe to keep it and make sure you hpi it.. lots

Post Thanks / Like

im getting one because i need a family car and it fits the bill will never ever sell the five but thats just my toy and no one elses i cant even go food shopping in the 5 because the nitrous bottle gets in the way and i cant get over the speed bumps

the one im looking at is hpi clear and got cat 1 alarm plus tracker full ralliart history and 350+bhp

full wax oil and underseal

so all in all i think it sounds ok

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IANMM View Post
    im getting one because i need a family car and it fits the bill
    They're a touch thirsty for a family car i think? Super unleaded also

Post Thanks / Like

briggs van of warp speed mayhem whips evo's bottoms...i would not bother..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J$£5GTT View Post
    briggs van of warp speed mayhem whips evo's bottoms...i would not bother..

got a van to rival brigs soon plus the five does about 19 miles to a gallon so all in all all things are even

im not replacing the 5 just need a car that can have a child seat in for my 2yr old and fit my 19yr old son too want a family holiday this year too and got to think about the traveling etc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IANMM View Post
    got a van to rival brigs soon plus the five does about 19 miles to a gallon so all in all all things are even

im not replacing the 5 just need a car that can have a child seat in for my 2yr old and fit my 19yr old son too want a family holiday this year too and got to think about the traveling etc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve - Raider View Post
    Super unleaded also
    You can map them to run 95ron safely enough, although 99% of MLR'ers will tell you otherwise Sure, there'll be a natural power drop, but as long as detonation is kept at bay, the engine will be fine.

Mine's been running like that for the past couple of years, although, to be fair, I do run 97/98ron when on track, but that's just simply to increase the det' threshold given the more harsh operating conditions, higher act's & egt's that are present when flat out lap after lap.

They're great cars, a nice place to be, but akin to GTT tuning of old, don't get sucked into the tuner (tuning) bollox & their over-inflated parts prices.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve - Raider View Post
    They're a touch thirsty for a family car i think? Super unleaded also
    thats very true steve. imo the evos a great car but i dont think its a family car at all. there a very high maintence car ie service and tune up every 2-3k 12 to 15 mpg on a run if your not to mad on the gas. high insurence and car tax. there only a few. for the same money i would go for a skoda octavia vrs. a great family car with a massive boot and very quick with a re-map. but if your got loads of money then go for the evo.

Post Thanks / Like

I would go for a bmw e46, a nice 330d remapped, or even a seat leon cupra r.

Evos are the working mans super car not a family car, nothing is cheap for them apart from buying them in the 1st place.

They do have a massive grim factor and road presence, depends on what you are after.

I would have another, but only for the weekends and would have a gunmetal mr 8

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MADFIVE View Post
    thats very true steve. imo the evos a great car but i dont think its a family car at all. there a very high maintence car ie service and tune up every 2-3k 12 to 15 mpg on a run if your not to mad on the gas. high insurence and car tax. there only a few.
    The Evo's a perfect family car - errrrm . Service is every 4.5k, and it's not overly expensive. Fuel wise: I get about 170 miles to £60 of V Power, but it stays the same however I drive. I'm always heavy on fuel though, whatever I'm in. A lot of owners with standard'ish' cars like mine, get a lot more to the gallon. Tax is £200, and my insurance is £400.

If you get a good one, they can be very reliable, and not cost a great deal to run. Bear in mind though, that when things break, they can cost a fortune. For example, if your AYC pump packs up (fairly common), it's £2.5k if you were to buy a new one from Mitsi'

Another option, as mentioned by Phil, is an E46 M3. They're one of the only cars I'd consider changing my Evo for. They're a bit more grown up, and make better every day cars. The build quality is a LOT better, for starters. My Evo rattles as much as any of my 5's have done, which does my head in

Although the way fuel prices are going, diesel could be the way to go these days, especially for a family car. I guess it depends what mileage you're doing, and how much you love spending money on petrol.....

Post Thanks / Like

And you think M3's are fuel efficient!?

It's the 4wd & stupid rear wing (drag) that kills fuel consumption on Evo's.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    And you think M3's are fuel efficient!?

It's the 4wd & stupid rear wing (drag) that kills fuel consumption on Evo's.
    I never mentioned anything about the M3's fuel consumption . Although I remember when I went to Belgium in Al's CSL he averaged 30mpg odd iirc, and that included Spa.

Don't forget the Evo's good old 'Jap Map', that pours neat fuel straight out of the exhaust

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

The Evo's a perfect family car - errrrm . Service is every 4.5k, and it's not overly expensive. Fuel wise: I get about 170 miles to £60 of V Power, but it stays the same however I drive. I'm always heavy on fuel though, whatever I'm in. A lot of owners with standard'ish' cars like mine, get a lot more to the gallon. Tax is £200, and my insurance is £400.

If you get a good one, they can be very reliable, and not cost a great deal to run. Bear in mind though, that when things break, they can cost a fortune. For example, if your AYC pump packs up (fairly common), it's £2.5k if you were to buy a new one from Mitsi'

Another option, as mentioned by Phil, is an E46 M3. They're one of the only cars I'd consider changing my Evo for. They're a bit more grown up, and make better every day cars. The build quality is a LOT better, for starters. My Evo rattles as much as any of my 5's have done, which does my head in

Although the way fuel prices are going, diesel could be the way to go these days, especially for a family car. I guess it depends what mileage you're doing, and how much you love spending money on petrol.....
    god your the only person that i have ever hear of sticking up for a evo in running costs. i have about 7 good friends that have own them. and all bar one sold them because of there running costs. god i would love to be loaded like you. how the other half live.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MADFIVE View Post
    god your the only person that i have ever hear of sticking up for a evo in running costs. i have about 7 good friends that have own them. and all bar one sold them because of there running costs. god i would love to be loaded like you. how the other half live.

I might be God , but I'm just giving anyone who might be interested, an idea of what I pay on mine. I don't recall saying it's cheap, and I don't recall saying it's a bargain! If you think that the costs I posted are cheap, or expensive, then that's down to you! In actual fact, I said they can cost a fortune when they break. Yep, I must really be sticking up for the running costs

Post Thanks / Like

I might be God , but I'm just giving anyone who might be interested, an idea of what I pay on mine. I don't recall saying it's cheap, and I don't recall saying it's a bargain! If you think that the costs I posted are cheap, or expensive, then that's down to you! In actual fact, I said they can cost a fortune when they break. Yep, I must really be sticking up for the running costs
    I sold my V because of running costs. Petrol and insurance were the killers for me.
    And as Bill said, if it breaks, it's not likely to be a cheap fix

The tank is smaller on the V's so a £50 fill would get about 120-140 miles. And I drive like miss daisy That was mapped to 1.3bar. It's pretty much (as much as makes no difference) the same car apart from aesthetic changes.

If petrol isn't an issue for you, go for it. I'd definitely still have mine if I could

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

just been for a drink with my mate rich. he has still got his evo 6 back in his mum and dads garage. been of the road since last august. the 4x4 transmission box went coming back from skegness. been told is will cost between 2.5k to 3k inc labour to get it back on the road. i know there dear but that takes the p**s. its very true when they say you need very deep pockets to run these cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Gearbox or transfer box? Either way, you can pick up a second hand unit for around £300-£500 tops, and should be about the same price to have it fitted.

Post Thanks / Like

a mate of mine had an evo 6 rs,and the first week of owning it.he went through £150 worth of fuelbut even once the excitement had worn off and he started driveing sensible,he was still forever putting fuel in

i must say though,when he first got it and it was standard i was shocked at how fast it was

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats the trouble with cars you have to put fuel in them if only we lived in america cheap fuel

Post Thanks / Like

get a lancia delta evo instead, my perfered family car:OR get a gto twin turbo poor mans super car
    Last edited by SCHWARTZ; 20-05-2011 at 20:44.

Post Thanks / Like

i think if you got your heart on an evo and can afford it then get one,got 4 seats hasnt it.

as mentioned above tho i do think the skoda vrs are a very good option.

Post Thanks / Like

well im on my way up north to pick her up.....only a 4 hr journey there

he is filling her up for me tho

getting her for a bargin price so theres money to be made on her if she gets too expensive

and to answer a few things.....

the car is only going to be used on weekends and the MPG is the same as the 5 lol

insurance fully comp is only £700

theres a evo tuner down the road and they charge £200 for the 4500 mile service

and to be fair i prob wont do that milage in 6 months so i can live with that

the skoda is a nice car but it just does not float my boat

will post some pics up when i got her

Post Thanks / Like

buy any evo and take it here , spend some pennies on a 2.2 stroker kit like my brother and oh my days rapid isent the word mapped at 450hp is ample but engine had been built for 650-700 although fuel consumption is abit poo but well worth it for the exitment

http://www.stevehillmotorsport.com/

Post Thanks / Like

here is my new toy

more pictures here.....

goes like stink 350hp

http://s728.photobucket.com/albums/w...NMM69/EVO%206/

Committee Member
    North West Regional Area Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

nice mate i prefer these to subarus but im a bit old school and would have a 3 door cosworth before any of them (yes i know glutten for punishment)

bet it goes well with 350bhp a friend had one at 330bhp and that didnt hang about

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BluntyR5GTT View Post
    nice mate i prefer these to subarus but im a bit old school and would have a 3 door cosworth before any of them (yes i know glutten for punishment)

bet it goes well with 350bhp a friend had one at 330bhp and that didnt hang about

my mates been after a cossie for months just no good ones about at realistic prices....

and yeah its a completly different driving experience to the 5.....dont get me wrong i will never sell the 5 or stop using her but at least i can go over speed bumps and put the shopping in the back of the EVO

Committee Member
    North West Regional Area Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

they are demanding real big money atm even sapphire cosworths are fetching good money.

hehe yeah a 350bhp shopping car i like it

Post Thanks / Like

Ah that takes me back, hope you enjoy it

Post Thanks / Like

Good Times!