Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wipers and heater controls

Im getting annoyed already with electrics, least I got the horn working tonight. Im trying to get the wipers to work, worked out you have a white relay and a black relay for the front and back wipers. I have changed these over just to make sure these aren't faulty, have checked that the wipers work by putting a power supply to them and they work fine. I have checked the plug and some of them are getting power to it but im guessing its not the right connectors of the plug else the wiper will be going on constantly. The stalk will control which circuit to use. Im hoping its just the wiper stalk as got two other spare to test out.

The rear one I can hear the relay clicking when I press the switch, so know that section is working, so guessing its the wiring going to the back of the car or maybe the wiper is faulty, haven't quite checked that yet.

The heater controls dont work either, how is this controlled? relay/fuse, wheres power come from. Hoping dont need to take it apart just to get to the wiring so can test it straight from a battery.

Are all these linked together anyway?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wipers and heater controls

I'm not too sure what the crack is with the OE wiring loom as I ripped all mine out and just rewired everything off the cuff, anyhow...

I'm pretty sure the wiper motor has it's own live/earth feed but then there is a live feed which goes to the wiper stalk which then goes to the timer relay connecting to the motor. I can have a look on mine tomorrow if you like but i'm pretty sure that's how I wired mine up.

Heater controls there is a live/earth again going to the switch/thumbwheel which then goes to the motor, if you can get the control panel out test if the supply is getting past the switch as I found this to be quite problematic on mine and no supply was getting through.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no rear wiper fitted in my car but if you want me to have a look at my wiring tomorrow I can tell you what ive done, the OE plugs are still there on the control side I have just rewired the earth/live as I saw fit.

Post Thanks / Like

That would be great. Thinking might bridge the connectors up so bypass the switch see if that makes them work and just test each section of the wires. Same with rest of the items. Hope it's not bad as wanting it for ND

Post Thanks / Like

You can test the live to the fan switch, but this then turns into three wires that go to the resistor built into the top of the fan housing. You can just see it be peering into the scuttle area.

The fan live and neutral come off the resistor, but you cannot get to the wires etc without removing the dash etc.

If you remove the fan you can test this direct to the battey so you know this works, and the connections to the fan may need a squuze with the pliers to tighten them up.

But I'll bet its that damn resistor. I fixed mine by getting a screwdriver and trying to clean the connectors on the resistor (with battery disconnected), but a month later it isnt working again!

I was thinking of rewiring the circuit and putting the resistor somewhere I can physically get to it...but its a dash out job again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by far4ngn View Post
    You can test the live to the fan switch, but this then turns into three wires that go to the resistor built into the top of the fan housing. You can just see it be peering into the scuttle area.

The fan live and neutral come off the resistor, but you cannot get to the wires etc without removing the dash etc.

If you remove the fan you can test this direct to the battey so you know this works, and the connections to the fan may need a squuze with the pliers to tighten them up.

But I'll bet its that damn resistor. I fixed mine by getting a screwdriver and trying to clean the connectors on the resistor (with battery disconnected), but a month later it isnt working again!

I was thinking of rewiring the circuit and putting the resistor somewhere I can physically get to it...but its a dash out job again.
    That sounds like my heater, tested fan directly with power probe and it worked connect up the control switch and its very intermittent.

Bigfoot have you had a look at this diagram with regards to the front wipers

https://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%...EN%20WIPER.JPG

when I rewired mine from scratch I just went off that diagram. Infact I wired everything together off the car the just connected the lives/earths to a power supply and tested it.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Lee, will be taking it apart so I can start doing some test for all the wires, take a while to work out that wiring diagram but im sure it will soon start making sense

Post Thanks / Like

It's not as complicated as it looks.

If you want I can give you a call tomorrow sometime talk through what i've done, shouldn't take you long at all.

Post Thanks / Like

If your free in the evening around 7ish, aslong as weather is good will be outside trying to play around with it with that sheet printed out PM your number if your free then and will give you a bell and have a chat if you could tell me more info that would be awesome

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah no problem mate, if the weather is good? man up!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tiff_lee View Post
    Yeah no problem mate, if the weather is good? man up!
    keeping the inside of the car dry is my main thing, should have check that wiring before I put the front seats in for more space first, live and learn really.

Post Thanks / Like

evogill does this help you?