Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Yet another F7p Turbo conversion

That is a shame mate I know strip down and rebuild is best, but might be worth lashing some diesel down the bores to see if you can free it up? i have done this with a c1j years ago, worked a treat!

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    That is a shame mate I know strip down and rebuild is best, but might be worth lashing some diesel down the bores to see if you can free it up? i have done this with a c1j years ago, worked a treat!
    Already tried that Brigsy, done the brake fluid, diesel and Coca cola left for a few hours with cola, with brake fluid left for 24hours and did not budge at all. I even tried rolling the car after all this and slamming into gear to see if it would free it up no success, I will try some diesel again as i still have some left in the jerry can. My only option is to rebuild from what I can see now which is not what i want to do this close to ND.

Now contemplating is this the time to stick a bigger valved williams head on?
    Last edited by James5; 25-05-2011 at 12:30.

Post Thanks / Like

Well after a **** few days with finding the engine seized / locked. Come home this eve to find fuel pump has arrived from the USA
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

I've just seen you've been running it down the road slamming it in gear I hope it's not the belt slipped then or you will be replacing valves or head

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5teve L View Post
    I've just seen you've been running it down the road slamming it in gear I hope it's not the belt slipped then or you will be replacing valves or head

Well wasn't getting anywere so cambelt came off tried to turn engine on crank pulley still no joy could move cams quiet easily so looking good there, took the head off and number 3 had what looked like 1" of grit in it anyway cleaned it all up and took a wooden block in number 2&3 and smacked it with the mallet a few times and feck me had movement done it a few more times and now unsiezed, gave all a good clean up and checked the bores all looks good no rusty marks moved the crank a few times to make sure all moving nice and freely and now all perfect, have now got engine left @ TDC with crank marking's lined up with marking on side of block and flywheel lines up with 0 on gearbox housing All looking good, just awaiting new headgasket bits to turn up now.

Looks like things are going back in the right direction now,
    Last edited by James5; 22-06-2011 at 15:50.

Post Thanks / Like

Great news mate gets the bits and crack on for the Surrey meet then national day

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Great news that its free now, shame the head had to come off, you getting a standard gasket for it?

Post Thanks / Like

As per PM, I'd be worried WTF the grit was doing in there in the 1st place, let alone whats left behind you can't see

Post Thanks / Like

i can`t believe how many f7p/r turbos have suddenly turned up. I can see this turning into a war of thr bhp battle

Post Thanks / Like

Well a few more things done this eve

New fuel lines from end of metal ones to go to fuel rail return and supply now done, started on the wiring aswell tonight R5 engine loom is now gone, still a couple of wires from the clio loom to wire up and I need to extend the live and earth leads to the battery for the clio loom also.

Post Thanks / Like

So how long till you can start it mate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philr5t View Post
    So how long till you can start it mate
    Really waiting the h/g set to turn up, if it doesn't turn up tomoz I will fit the walbro and sort the exhaust out then that is everything under the car done. I should be able to start it on the wiring I have done so far

Post Thanks / Like

top work matey cant believe how quick this has all happened roll on nat day

Post Thanks / Like

Engine back together and timing belt on, alternator now in place with brackets and also aux belt in place also.

Will do some more again tonight
    Last edited by James5; 01-06-2011 at 12:49.

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

james, glad to hear its now freed` up, crikey , i wish i had the time.... to do half as much my end and i only have one daughter..., good going bud, you dont hang around, she be a corker when up and running!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

impressive stuff, but have you started planning the next engine change yet

i'm amazed how fast u work, i thought i burnt alot of midnight oil but u'r crazy! lol

be good to see it next weekend

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markey b View Post
    impressive stuff, but have you started planning the next engine change yet

i'm amazed how fast u work, i thought i burnt alot of midnight oil but u'r crazy! lol

be good to see it next weekend

Cheeky, don't know what your talking about think you have me confused with someone else

Well another good eve on the 5 got turbo bolted up, downpipe on, marked sidey for cuting down, installed 95% of the under bonnet pipework . Got rad fitted in and plumbed up, had to cut slam panel kind of tidied up the wiring for now with relays mounted on strut turret but just want to make sure it runs, need to wire fuel pump in.

Tomorrow will be a case of sorting sidey out and putting new fuel pump on then I can drop the car back down on the ground and won't look like so much of an eye saw for my neighbours.
    Last edited by James5; 29-05-2011 at 10:33.

Post Thanks / Like

Yet another really gooed eve on the 5 Installed external Walbro 255 fuel pump, new gtt fuel filter, sorted exhaust for downpipe fitment, mounted chargecooler pre rad, mounted chargecooler pump, 5 is now back on the floor on all 4 wheels

Went to see if she cranks on the key and she does but fuel pump doesn't kick in had this with the f4r conversion ended up using a switch but might wire it into ignition this time. Have a few electrical gremlins 1 being alternator, I just can't bolt positve wire to either of the 2 connection's on the alternator without a fault the wire comes straight from the starter perm live feed which then comes straight from battery.

Also rad fan comes on constant if I wire it up to a constant live feed as if fan switch stuck on or I have cross wired somewhere later will more than likely be the case

Any idea's on fuel pump?? I have taken the fuel pump live feed from the clio relay and gone straight to the gtt fuel pump relay connection and joined them together and thought this would work

Still a few bits to sort out but I am about 90% done now not bad for a week turn around so far juggling 4 kids a pregnant Mrs's the job, also only doing it in the eve's and the unfortunate unforseen problem which put me back to step 1 but back on track now.

Also can anyone tell me how the coolant pipe run should go on a chargecooler
    Last edited by James5; 30-05-2011 at 11:21.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

top work m8. fair play to ya for fitting time in for the car with all that lot going on lol

Post Thanks / Like

You may need to prime the pump first mate I had to on mine as it would not send any fuel up before it was primed it's looking good mate and I can't wait to see it I'll call you tomorrow reference the charge cooler set up top work mate

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re the fuel pump.. You need to check if you have 12v at the fuel pump, if you have check the earth. Failing this you've picked the wrong wire's on the old fuel pump feed also dont forget cars switch the earth not the live.

Post Thanks / Like

You'll be finished before me at this rate !
    I'm at the same stage as you are now, I'll be going over later to see if mine starts as it had a flat battery. I also need to do my water pipes though, they're on but not tightened in case I had to remove things again

Post Thanks / Like

Well a slow night to night but thanks to 5teveL for coming over and having a look at my 5 and my messy wiring which appears to be ok he traced my lack of fuel pump priming down to 2 faulty relays one was for the rad fan and the other the fuel pump relay to which now both work as should

Still some more wires to do into the 5 cabin and hopefully then I will get some spark

Post Thanks / Like

Things left to do -

• Engine coolant,
    • Install charge cooler coolant pipes,
    • Charge cooler coolant
    • Wire up charge cooler pump,
    • Wire last 3 clio loom wires into the 5 loom,
    • Drill 63mm hole for air filter through bulkhead (need bigger drill chuck),
    • See if i can get spark,
    • Start the project

Post Thanks / Like

Well good news it started for a sec then died, went to start again but battery to weak so now on charge

Will start again later and see what happens with dash gauges, wiring a little messy will tidy up next week with decent plug connection and get rid if all the block connections I have temporarily used.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    Well good news it started for a sec then died, went to start again but battery to weak so now on charge

Will start again later and see what happens with dash gauges, wiring a little messy will tidy up next week with decent plug connection and get rid if all the block connections I have temporarily used.
    Think I shot myself ion the foot yesterday by thinking the lack of starting was down to the battery. Well still not started and battery was fully charged I thought she died yesterday due to first start but it would appear that the injectors are not firing, I have fuel to the rail, I have strong spark, I have engine cranking over on starter I just don't seem to be getting fuel into the bores and this would point to injectors to me, I removed sparkies to see if they were wet and see if the bores smelt of fuel and they didn't whilst I was at it I replaced the sparkies with the new ones to rule out knackered spark plugs.

Does anyone know how the injectors are activated on the F7p? are they activated by a relay which then sends signal to ECU??

Any ideas would be appreciated as time for me to get this running before nat day are getting slimmer.

List of things left to do
    1. Drill 63mm hole for air filter through bulkhead - done temp air ducting for time being as drill chuck to small for hole saw,
    2. Work out why injectors are not firing (could be a relay),
    3. Sort small oil leak from rear of engine,
    4. Start the project

Post Thanks / Like

Remove the plugs which go onto the injectors, and get some wire straight from the battery. just tap on the pins and see if can get it firing, had to free up two injectors this way once.

Or as somebody else said get some noids (sp?) and test the plugs that way.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome matey! hats off to you,

Re fuel pump issue i have the same problem! i checked everything and just had the relays on a bench test and they are both scrap! hopefully this will solve it.

also about your injectors, i have this problem aswell, i run on stand alone ecu, i primed the pump from going straight from the battery, got fuel pressure and spark, but injectors wont squirt! hope you get it sorted

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robclio98 View Post
    Awesome matey! hats off to you,

Re fuel pump issue i have the same problem! i checked everything and just had the relays on a bench test and they are both scrap! hopefully this will solve it.

also about your injectors, i have this problem aswell, i run on stand alone ecu, i primed the pump from going straight from the battery, got fuel pressure and spark, but injectors wont squirt! hope you get it sorted

I am hoping it's a simple fix in that it's just another knackered relay, if you find out what your fault was let me know

Post Thanks / Like

Good new shes starts so wiring all good bad news is she smokes like a red fecking arrow engine has to come out number 3 rings have gone and I have an oil leak from the rear aswell somewhere

Comp test when warm

1 - 143psi
    2 - 143psi
    3 - 60psi
    4 - 147psi

Darn new I should have taken the engine out when I did the h/g and sorted the rings out then. Won't be making that mistake again. At least I know my wiring works

Post Thanks / Like

Well it was worth a try getting it running that quick, you definately not done bad for 2 weeks work

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    Well it was worth a try getting it running that quick, you definately not done bad for 2 weeks work
    True not bad at least everything is done it's just getting the engine out now and ordering the bits up.

Post Thanks / Like

Typical, we get the bugger running & then it turns into a smoke machine
    was good to hear it fire up though..... after changing another dodgy injector & knocking the crud off the dizzy cap.. what would you do without me eh

Post Thanks / Like

Typical, we get the bugger running & then it turns into a smoke machine
    was good to hear it fire up though..... after changing another dodgy injector & knocking the crud off the dizzy cap.. what would you do without me eh
    To right matey many thanks for coming up as you say at least it started and ran for a bit.

Not looking forward to taking the bugger out though, although should be a little easier as I cut the slam panel so gives more room and clearance

Post Thanks / Like

To right matey many thanks for coming up as you say at least it started and ran for a bit.

Not looking forward to taking the bugger out though, although should be a little easier as I cut the slam panel so gives more room and clearance
    I'll be doing mine tomorrow, will check I can't see anything obvious 1st, I think the lump will be coming out though

Post Thanks / Like

Well unfortunatly I did not make national day this year first one in a long time I have spent the afternoon removing the f7pt from my 5 and stripping the engine down, found the rings in number 3 were shot which I new form the comp test results and the pistons were not wossner but JE low comp forged piston. So removed the piston and eventually managed to get the rings out, so need new piston rings and going to hone the bore aswell.

Fingers crossed no further problems

H/G ordered

Piston out and removed from rod, inspected piston top and middle ring stuck in piston inspected piston further and noticed one side has some warping to it

Anyway piston is now @ machine shop having this sorted out and I will order some rings to match what the machine shop take it out to will only be a few .mm's bigger should be fine still
    Last edited by James5; 08-06-2011 at 17:51.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

James sorry you missed national day and our yearly calm drive round the track in my car

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bod 182 View Post
    James sorry you missed national day and our yearly calm drive round the track in my car
    I was so pissed off with the 5 I have not looked at it for the last 2 days, but finally done some bits today, I told myself if the 5 wasn't running I wasn't doing nat day this year. I will be there next year Andrew with fresh pant's . I will be doing POD this year though well spectating for the day

Post Thanks / Like

Well engine is back together machine shop managed to save my piston all for the price of £20.00 bloody bargain they increased the size of ring gaps in the piston to accept OE size piston rings this also removed the wonkey ringlands, they also tested to make sure it's still round and it is So engine went back together last night, gone for a mellior H/G this time, done the ole 6 step head tigtening sequence, all timed up an tensioned, fingers crossed no mayo mix this time as I know the ring problem is sorted now.

Cheers Steve and johnnyevo for popping over and giving me a hand dropping it in.

Got the loom fitted after you guys had gone and bolted a load of bits up onto the engine aswell, if the rain stops today will finish off what needs doing and hopefully start her again today

Post Thanks / Like

Well engine is back together machine managed to save my piston by increasing the size of ring gaps in the piston to accept OE size piston rings So engine went back together last night, gone for a mellior H/G this time, done the ole 6 step head tigtening sequence, all timed up an tensioned, fingers crossed no mayo mix this time as I know the ring problem is sorted now.

Cheers Steve and johnnyevo for popping over and giving me a hand dropping it in.

Got the loom fitted after you guys had gone and bolted a load of bits up onto the engine aswell, if the rain stops today will finish off what needs doing and hopefully start her again today
    No probs matey, like I said last night I may be calling on you to help me finish off mine , I just need inspiration & enthusiasm as I seem to be lacking in both at the moment
    I don't know how you manage with four kids mate, I have enough trouble with three & working full time

Fingers crossed it starts & runs ok today

Post Thanks / Like

No probs matey, like I said last night I may be calling on you to help me finish off mine , I just need inspiration & enthusiasm as I seem to be lacking in both at the moment
    I don't know how you manage with four kids mate, I have enough trouble with three & working full time

Fingers crossed it starts & runs ok today

Enthusiasm is running really low around here at the mo, I just so hope it works.
    Defo up for helping you out matey

I don't know how I manage it either with working full time the 4 kids and pregnant Mrs's I just give her no option when I want to play 5 I only really play on the car in the eve's when I can.

Post Thanks / Like

Come on guys, you are both in sight of the finish line. Enthusiasm boost needed. Big pat on the back and back to it!

Post Thanks / Like

pics look awesome as per usual when you get a spare 10 mins you should deffinately put a list in of exactly whats needed to do this.

imo thats the only thing missing from these great project threads

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Josie172cup View Post
    pics look awesome as per usual when you get a spare 10 mins you should deffinately put a list in of exactly whats needed to do this.

imo thats the only thing missing from these great project threads

I will do a list at the end of parts needed for the conversion and stick it in the F7 boards section then peeps whom have done it can add to the list
    Last edited by James5; 13-06-2011 at 12:33.

Post Thanks / Like

Todays progress has been slow as I haven't really been enthusiastic about doing the car, got driveshafts back in and bolted up, filled gearbox with oil, filled engine with oil, fitted the wiring loom, installed chargecooler pre-rad again, and dropped the 5 back down onto her wheels

I will be back out later doing some more, not sure if I should fit the turbo I have on it for now as I have a Pulsar T28 on the way also fitted a 4 bar bosch fpr into my fuel rail as the faastchips high boost I believe needs 3.5bar and the previous owner of the engine was using a 3bar and I have and adjustable but no fuel rail adaptor so will see what it does to the fueling.

Post Thanks / Like

Todays progress has been slow as I haven't really been enthusiastic about doing the car, got driveshafts back in and bolted up, filled gearbox with oil, filled engine with oil, fitted the wiring loom, installed chargecooler pre-rad again, and dropped the 5 back down onto her wheels

I will be back out later doing some more, not sure if I should fit the turbo I have on it for now as I have a Pulsar T28 on the way also fitted a 4 bar bosch fpr into my fuel rail as the faastchips high boost I believe needs 3.5bar and the previous owner of the engine was using a 3bar and I have and adjustable but no fuel rail adaptor so will see what it does to the fueling.
    Thought you'd have started it TBH matey
    I went to my car earlier, it rained hard so I came home with the hump, decided to sort my van out, broke things on that so not a very productive day for me either

Post Thanks / Like

Thought you'd have started it TBH matey
    I went to my car earlier, it rained hard so I came home with the hump, decided to sort my van out, broke things on that so not a very productive day for me either

I don't know if I want to start it when I am finished with fear of something going wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome turnaround mate, soon be back on the road

Post Thanks / Like

Good news is she runs and I have had no mixing of mayo in the oil this time Bad news is I need a new battery this fecker doesn't hold any charge

Need to work out why the revs keep increasing by themselves? and I need to sort out some of the OE gauges to work aswell mainly rev counter I need to work.

Post Thanks / Like

are you using the 16v coil or coil packs? as I use a 16v coil and just have it plugged into the oe AEI plug and my rev counter works.