Post Thanks / Like

Cyl #4 failure (not mine thankfully)

The age old pattern of piston number 4 failures is coming in on stage 2 mapped meganes (not to scare any of you running it, still on single figure failures)
    Do any of you knowledgeable people know the type/specification of the fuel pump fitted on the Megane 225/230s please?
    I'm wondering what its limitations are as there seems to be little mention or concern of it's capability to supply fuel for 350hp which I'm not entirely believing, but I'm running out of alternative reasons for failure.
    Any ideas, even If I've heard them before will be much appreciated, I know there's some great knowledge and experience on here

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cyl #4 failure (not mine thankfully)

As far as i know, the filter and pump unit are all one and located in the tank. I think to change the filter you have to replace the full lot. Flow rate is 1.3 - 2 litres/minute at 3 bar.

Which cylinder are you classing as no.4?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MATT C Ringworm Tuning View Post
    As far as i know, the filter and pump unit are all one and located in the tank. I think to change the filter you have to replace the full lot. Flow rate is 1.3 - 2 litres/minute at 3 bar.

Which cylinder are you classing as no.4?
    What regulates the pressure?

The cylinder furthest away from the flywheel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Streetfighter View Post
    What regulates the pressure?

The cylinder furthest away from the flywheel.
    There is a pressure regulator fitted next to the pump assembly. Unfortunately no reference is taken to the regulator so the pressure does not vary with engine load.

I would be looking at getting rid of the intank thing, fitting a remote adjustable regulator in the bay with a reference and have an inline pump fitted, rated for better flow. Up the fuel pressure to suit the map. FYI the standard injectors are 390cc.

Not sure how on the standard setup 350bhp is being achieved??

Post Thanks / Like

There is a pressure regulator fitted next to the pump assembly. Unfortunately no reference is taken to the regulator so the pressure does not vary with engine load.

I would be looking at getting rid of the intank thing, fitting a remote adjustable regulator in the bay with a reference and have an inline pump fitted, rated for better flow. Up the fuel pressure to suit the map. FYI the standard injectors are 390cc.

Not sure how on the standard setup 350bhp is being achieved??
    Standard set up Forged with 630cc injectors, decat, 3" exhaust + the usual trimmings.
    The original engine was running 275 bhp & 326lbft and is dead. Long arm in deep pocket and forged engine appears. Question remains on failure mode of original piston #4

Post Thanks / Like

Standard set up Forged with 630cc injectors, decat, 3" exhaust + the usual trimmings.
    The original engine was running 275 bhp & 326lbft and is dead. Long arm in deep pocket and forged engine appears. Question remains on failure mode of original piston #4
    Have you a picture of a dead piston we can take a look at? 'Failure' is a very general word. Looking at the piston can say athousand words and we may make a good stabb at the issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you a picture of a dead piston we can take a look at? 'Failure' is a very general word. Looking at the piston can say athousand words and we may make a good stabb at the issue.
    Haven't got any here, will get some. Just had a peek with the borescope as the engine is still in the car. Thanks
    Last edited by Streetfighter; 26-04-2011 at 16:16.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe it's simply the fact the pistons are cast from bottom to top, not top to bottom and the cold front on the molten alloy is flawed as the two halves meet. Stress it and it cracks, simple

South West Regional Rep Alastair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say that it is more likely to be an inclusion of foreign/slag material in the casting material than that... forming a stress raiser etc...

Post Thanks / Like

Similar result either way?
    Bit of an egg/chicken question.
    Other possibility is rod bolt failure.
    Definitely no det anyway

Post Thanks / Like

Difficult to see in the pics, but have a look for any chrystalising of the fracture faces. Even if it is material fatigue, it doesnt really explain why all the failures are on cylinder no. four? Are there any signs of the piston 'picking' up in the bore? Any blueing or heat spots on the pin?

Have a look and see if the oil jet for that cylinder is clear/working.

Post Thanks / Like

^^ Thanks, will look a bit deeper and come back. Just some early phone pics as the engine was being swapped over.

Post Thanks / Like

^^ Thanks, will look a bit deeper and come back. Just some early phone pics as the engine was being swapped over.
    No problem matey. It's an interesting one and could do with sorting if it's a common issue.

Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

We had a few here in SA with piston one going with the ring landing and was said to be injector fault related basically not being able to supply enough fuel as the injector stop flowing as it should , and obviously our quality of fuel isn't as good as there in europe