Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

AFR readings all over the place.

finally rebuilt my engine and got my 5 back on the road, thought id treat in to a AFR gauge to set it up and keep an eye on things, never had 1 or seen 1 in use before so am a bit new to how its ment to react. read up on here that its ment to be 14:1 when cruising and 12:1 on WOT , but my gauge bounces from 10 - 18 seems to be very sensitive, sits between 13 and 16 when cruising then when you lift off it either drops right off the gauge or goes up off the gauge, still running my engine in and im a bit worried i might be doing some damage. gonna give the carb a clean tomo and see if that makes any difference.

any advice would be grateful cheers

just noticed ive put this thread in the wrong field, my cars a 5 gt turbo sorry
    Last edited by bennyboy; 23-04-2011 at 19:37. Reason: posted in wrong section

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFR readings all over the place.

are there any breather pipe mod pictures on here ? if ive might have piped mine up wrong , would this affect my AFR readings???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bennyboy View Post
    finally rebuilt my engine and got my 5 back on the road, thought id treat in to a AFR gauge to set it up and keep an eye on things, never had 1 or seen 1 in use before so am a bit new to how its ment to react. read up on here that its ment to be 14:1 when cruising and 12:1 on WOT , but my gauge bounces from 10 - 18 seems to be very sensitive, sits between 13 and 16 when cruising then when you lift off it either drops right off the gauge or goes up off the gauge, still running my engine in and im a bit worried i might be doing some damage. gonna give the carb a clean tomo and see if that makes any difference.

any advice would be grateful cheers

just noticed ive put this thread in the wrong field, my cars a 5 gt turbo sorry

no two gt's run the same on fueling.firstly what afr gauge do you have.secoundly readings will change as you drive because you are always moving the thottle.you want to be seeing what the afr is like on boost though the gears so a nice drag along a stright(i find slightly up hill helps) road is a good place to start.i would take a friend and write down the readings and post what you find

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bennyboy View Post
    are there any breather pipe mod pictures on here ? if ive might have piped mine up wrong , would this affect my AFR readings???
    in a word yes.could make you run lean.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

its going on my mates rolling road this fri so we'll have a play with it on there, i'll take a few notes of where n what everything is doing and be back in touch.

thanks ben

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

rolling road showed my car running very lean on WOT, so we drilled my main jet out to 1.5mm which made it right on WOT, but when im driving about just cruising my AFR readings are between 10-13 is this gonna halm my engine? do i need to alter the size hole in my air corrector jet?

Post Thanks / Like

Give this a good coat of looking over

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=460

As a rough guide (it's differant for evey engine)

You want to leave the main jet standard and increase the second stage jet gradually for on boost. (WOT)

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

just what i was looking for mate thanks for that, will have a tweek tomo!!

thanks ben