Post Thanks / Like

21 years since last one!!!

First post!

Hi all, just thought i would say hi and introduce myself after being lucky enough to quickly jump on the sale and treat myself to a very nice well thoughtout phase 2 5 GT Turbo, its Raj's old one, think he is fairly well known in these circles!

Deposit paid and collect Sat.

I owned an E'88 phase 2 Turbo back in 1990, and loved every minute! but since then been around the block trying nearly everything under the sun from 2 GTI-R's, M3 Evo cab, E39 M5, LCR,Jag S Type R,GTO, RS4,RS6 and the infamous money pit 10 yes 10 Subaru's! 2 of which were 450bhp and 550bhp. Just lost the heart and soul after one problem after another. Hand on heart though i think i wil still end up with another one day lol.

Think with the fresh build and nearly everything new on 5 then i am after some fairly cheap (in comparison) fun with some reasonably big power mods looming once ran in and minor things sorted to my taste.

Looking forward to meeting up with you guys at meets/events soon.

Regards Scott.

pics as soon as!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 21 years since last one!!!

good buy, you got a nice example, quick note, if your gonna up the pressre check out the tuning articles on site. National day is coming up too if your after a big meet up

Post Thanks / Like

welcome mate

Post Thanks / Like

welcome to the club..... great looking 5 your getting

Post Thanks / Like

hello and welcome, thats a pretty smart gtt your buying

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the club but I'm sorry you've been conned. You've bought a right sh*t box there. Dreadful previous owner

In seriousness, it's really great news that this GTT is staying in the club. The time and effort Raj put in to this car was phenomenal.

Raj, stick around for the banter. I have

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevhib View Post
    Raj, stick around for the banter. I have
    i plan too as ive just renewed my membership but i dont think i will be on as much as i used to that is unless i end up back with another renault

Post Thanks / Like

hello and welcome to the club.

You have bought a right good bargin there i tell you

Non-member old skool turbo power's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raj View Post
    that is unless i end up back with another renault

never say never mate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by old skool turbo power View Post
    never say never mate
    i know mate, im started to feel a little r11 flavour developing on me tongue

note to self... must not give in to the temptation

Non-member old skool turbo power's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raj View Post
    i know mate, im started to feel a little r11 flavour developing on me tongue

note to self... must not give in to the temptation
    funny you say that...................................
    http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/2637250.htm
    bit of work on it and will look

Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Cheers guys, appreciate all kind feedback and will look after this little gem hopefully as good as Raj if thats possible. Been sifting through all the need to knows and trying to get my knowledge up to scratch on them, just so used to Subarus so quite used to things being wee bit tempramental over the last 10 years.

Personally i think mine may look just as good on standard rims so may look out for some.

Spoke to Tony the MD at Prima Racing and he enlightened me to all the good days ahead, he showed me his sprint/hill climb 5GTT wow it was special is all i can say. He talked me through some of the various options available to me and i will be taking mine down to him next week for him to go over and suggestions he may have. First step is to have a Group A carb fitted once ran in as my target is 20psi with Hybrid turbo different cam and few other things so hopefully a very quick spooling car with min lag aiming for 220-240bhp with same ftlb

Cheers guys, will keep you updated. Like i have had a new lease of life lol

ps see you tomorrow Raj

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by type r brad View Post

Cheers guys, appreciate all kind feedback and will look after this little gem hopefully as good as Raj if thats possible. Been sifting through all the need to knows and trying to get my knowledge up to scratch on them, just so used to Subarus so quite used to things being wee bit tempramental over the last 10 years.

Personally i think mine may look just as good on standard rims so may look out for some.

Spoke to Tony the MD at Prima Racing and he enlightened me to all the good days ahead, he showed me his sprint/hill climb 5GTT wow it was special is all i can say. He talked me through some of the various options available to me and i will be taking mine down to him next week for him to go over and suggestions he may have. First step is to have a Group A carb fitted once ran in as my target is 20psi with Hybrid turbo different cam and few other things so hopefully a very quick spooling car with min lag aiming for 220-240bhp with same ftlb

Cheers guys, will keep you updated. Like i have had a new lease of life lol

ps see you tomorrow Raj

Nooooooooooooooo don't go the group a carb route it's not needed you can make that power with a modified standard venturi carb

Buying Raj's car was good move matey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    Nooooooooooooooo don't go the group a carb route it's not needed you can make that power with a modified standard venturi carb

Buying Raj's car was good move matey

Oh, cheers for advice pal, who do you recommend then local to me for modifying carb then? Been down this road where tuners tell you one thing then it looks like may be poss down another. Suppose once i have latched on to the right tuner then ok??

Big learning curve for me at the mo

All i want once ran in is super quick spool and heaps of torque providing box can stand it!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the boards! Steer clear of the 'tuners', especially the crappy grp 'a' carbs! Piper 285 cam, t25/28 & 22lb boost will probably see the power you want

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    Welcome to the boards! Steer clear of the 'tuners', especially the crappy grp 'a' carbs! Piper 285 cam, t25/28 & 22lb boost will probably see the power you want

I appreciate kind of what your saying but surely some kind of proof or evidence to back up staying away from tuners is needed mate. All i want is someone who is running the sort of boost i am after and for them to enlighten me on the spec/mods to their car and how long its been running safely at that level of tune

Any comments or first hand experience of Prima Racing in Nott'm??

Cheers guys

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the club. Like brigsy says stay away from the tuners and especially the grp a carbs total waste of time been there and done it and failed . Piper 285 and a t25/28 is the way forward and a good wideband guage will see you right.

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Brigsy is speaking sense... get to know the club and its members before you go chque book tuning... the best thing about the 5 is you can tune it easily and yourself (or ask a few local members to help you out)

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate kind of what your saying but surely some kind of proof or evidence to back up staying away from tuners is needed mate. All i want is someone who is running the sort of boost i am after and for them to enlighten me on the spec/mods to their car and how long its been running safely at that level of tune

Cheers guys

Just search the boards mate, loads of stuff on the tuners. Im at that power level with my self built/tuned lump in my van. Reliable? ive done thousands of miles, engine is bullet proof, gearboxes reglularly fail though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penfold aka The Dealer View Post
    Brigsy is speaking sense... get to know the club and its members before you go chque book tuning... the best thing about the 5 is you can tune it easily and yourself (or ask a few local members to help you out)

Brigsy is spot on matey with his advice, your first move should really be to buy a decent wideband kit if you haven't got one installed.

285 cam and a t25 or t28 and as already mentioned 22psi should see you to 200bhp+

I run a standard venturi carb (modified for fueling), 285 cam and VNT turbo and 25psi manifold my fuelling is spot on for WOT driving.

Plenty of theads on this site with the problems with tuners group A carbs and people results of using them, crap fueling on idle, crap fueling on normal driving and fueling for on boost will be fine as that is all the group a will be good for

Post Thanks / Like

Brill, really appreciate what your all saying and will listen to you lot as clearly its all tried and tested with you all, anyone willing to lend a hand or recommend anyone for setting carb up for now and changing turbo/cam, how much should i be expecting to pay?

Anyone fancy meeting up sometime with the mods i am after on there car so i can feel/decide what 220/240 bhp feels like in these and how the spool and torque compare, i know what 550/550 feels like in a scoob but thats a different kettle of fish

Again many thanks all for steering me away from tuner.

Post Thanks / Like

Brill, really appreciate what your all saying and will listen to you lot as clearly its all tried and tested with you all, anyone willing to lend a hand or recommend anyone for setting carb up for now and changing turbo/cam, how much should i be expecting to pay?

Anyone fancy meeting up sometime with the mods i am after on there car so i can feel/decide what 220/240 bhp feels like in these and how the spool and torque compare, i know what 550/550 feels like in a scoob but thats a different kettle of fish

Again many thanks all for steering me away from tuner.

RTOC national day coming up soon matey perfect oppertunity to go for some passenger rides in some various state of tuned 5's and other cars

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, for fecks sake stay away; far, far away! Dreadful service, careless work, no refunds. Possibly the worst reputation on RTOC of any R5 tuner over the years.

I'm with all the others about Grp A carbs. One way ticket.

Good luck learning the ropes, plenty of people here clued up as regards carbs, t28's and cams.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the boards
    What do you think to put B18FT Engine they are good ones. Here are few people using them . Me personaly i don't like 1.4t just a lot of problems with over heating with my 1.4t engine so i put b18ft from volvo 1.7turbo
    But good luck mate

Post Thanks / Like

Right guys picked my 5 up earlier and even though max 60mph at 3k whilst running in i still drove back up the m1 with a grrrreat smile on my face why is that when its the cheapest car i have owned in years lol.

Raj is a real gent and the car is testiment to him, think he needed some tissues as i drove off in his old car.

Anyway straight to work with it, if i am aiming for around 220bhp (turbo/cam) do i need to get carb rejetted now with around 20psi in mind set for that figure. Can anyone recommend anyone in East Mids. Urgently needs setting up as afr gauge is all over the place and last thing i need is det damaged engine so soon!

Also what grade oil should i be putting in on running in and when its ran in?

Post Thanks / Like

10w40 semi is fine, just change it often, im sure your allready aware owning a subaru, they contaminate the oil pretty quickly, even more so if you go the group a carb route, massively overfuelling isnt the way to go. take a look at the carb tuning articles and have a look at the 1/4 mile leader boards for members cars and there modifications. there isnt a bolt on carb for a car that will fuel it for such and such, every engine is different and fueling is different too. For the pressures you want to run you must have an AFR gauge. Your also into the realms of detonation and will want that to be checked/monitored too. i'd aim for around the 18-20psi mark first, easy to fuel for without emptying the float too much aslong as your not boosting too long in 4th/5th. Good luck and i promise you will love 18psi then you'll have a good understanding how to go further

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers all for help and advice, just a few more questions, sticking around the 19/20psi mark how do i decide that the T28 and 285 cam is the best way to go? I gather its just cause so many of you have tried and tested the package?

Also who and how much should i be expecting to pay for T28 and cam?

Cheers Scott.

Post Thanks / Like

Urgently needs setting up as afr gauge is all over the place and last thing i need is det damaged engine so soon!

Firstly welcome along mate

I had alook at that carb recently, the jet sizing in it is speced up for small amount of boost increase i remember the jet sizes quite well but yes will need rejetting for the increase you want.

As for the gauge bouncing around i couldn't see why it was, only poss answer was slight fault with carb base but its only poss, didn't have another with me at time to try out. Other then that i was thinking gauge was reading wrong.
    Last edited by Markey Mark (BD); 12-04-2011 at 16:51.

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

hello, everyones talking sense here, avoid tuners and if anyone works on your car that claims to know all about gtt's just post here what there telling you.. bullsh1t come in spades with these cars and its taken years to clear out the bs and replace it with good knowledge..

me and members that i trust are the only people i would let near my car, no self claimed tuners for me.. i think down to the club and members these cars are going faster, cheaper and more reliably than ever with less bolt on mods

Post Thanks / Like

Scott,

Here's my advise for what it's woth (nothing mainly). Enjoy the car as it is for a little while. It's a new build isn't it?, and hasn't been driven in years, so i would let it all settle in and remedy any issues it may have once you get some miles on it.

From that, if all is ok, then have a think on what you want from it. The 'tuning' isn't all about massive boost, you might benefit from setting the suspension and brakes up over '20 psi and a T28'.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, Cars looks lovely in the pictures, standard wheels should look nice.

Totally agree with the above, but not for me to comment as there knowledge is years ahead of mine, but you seem to be going the right way.

550 Subaru must have been mental

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elcie View Post
    Welcome, Cars looks lovely in the pictures, standard wheels should look nice.

Totally agree with the above, but not for me to comment as there knowledge is years ahead of mine, but you seem to be going the right way.

550 Subaru must have been mental

Thanks pal, yes slowed down a bit on my plans as i tend to get over excited when a new toy arrives lol the guys on here speak much sense and Neil Fletcher is advising me on a few things once ran in.

Many thanks to you all and here are a couple of my old scoobs if anyone is interested

http://bbs.scoobynet.com/garage/1994...0R%20BRAD.html

http://bbs.scoobynet.com/garage/2000...0R%20BRAD.html

Post Thanks / Like

Got insurance premium sorted £118

Chuffed to bits with that with few mods declared!

Footman rocks

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to RTOC