Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Renault 5 Gt Turbo Ex Cup-car

hi all been looking at this cup 5.love it but know nothing about it?wondered if anyone had seen it or had any knowledge of it?

ebay
    Item number: 320677669972

Non-member Penfold aka The Dealer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Renault 5 Gt Turbo Ex Cup-car

nice car, but to over priced for what it is really...

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

fair comment.whats a good price in your opion?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on so many things, and would be impossible to say without seeing/hearing the car.
    It could be missing alot of the coupe bits, making it nothing more than a stripped road car..... or it could be an original coupe shell, loads of history, proper blueprinted engine build, warranty etc etc.

I have sold a couple of ex cup cars, from £1600 to £3800 for a near dammit newly built one.
    I think that was a bargain price for a Newly built (from bare shell, inc engine/gearbox etc) race car. You will struggle to find a well set-up race car for less than £3000 - check piston heads
    A good cup car is a pretty sorted race car, They raced for over a decade in almost identical spec.

Everyone has their own idea of what 'good value' is though. And there should be a distinctive line between a stripped/caged road car, and a sorted race/cup car.

I have a LHD ex German Cup car I need to sell soon
    Last edited by Sam Fish; 07-04-2011 at 23:16.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

PS,
    Personally, I think that may be quite an original one - some very early bits I have only ever seen on proper cup cars;
    That style thin ally drivers floor plate is a giveaway, and I think I have seen it advertised with the MXV coupe tyres/wheels, which wheren't used as wets after 1988 I think

A quick way to tell would be to get a chassis number. Or lack of one, or RAD stamped on the turret

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

some bloody good advice!

thanks alot ! i just fancy one,as it shouldnt cost me a fortune to keep and i have space for it ,well kinda lol . well let me know what you do with yours.and how much you want as i have a budget.
    thanks for the info tho.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally if you just wanted a car for track days you could easily build your own....

The koni suspension is one of the best suspension you will get for a 5, with the correct springs it would be hard to beat without spending a fortune on track suspension.... you could even buy some old de carbon if you want to be like the cup car boys....

A full roll cage.... cup cars come with devil cage, but most updated to safety device buy now...

Brakes are standard anyway...

Engine is normally standard... but a rebuilt lump with baffeled sump, piper cam will be upto the job of hard track days...

Turbo on a cup car is a standard T2, could go for a T2hybrid or a T25 roller bearing turbo for good all round performance.

Most cup cars have newer seats now.

Devil strust brace - not overly hard to get, but any strut brace will do...

Cup wheels - different ofset, but 13" wheels with R888's are great on track and road or full on slicks for track.

Devil side exit - but any sidey is good on track - although abit annoying

The only other major difference on a cup car is : less rust (if any), should have manual windows with door cards without speaker cut out, fire extinguisher plumbed in, electrical cut of switch added. Oh and a good chance they have had a battered life and thrashed (often repaired track side with a sledge hammer )

Personally i would buy a road legal track day, makes life easier for when your having to set the car up as not everybody has private road to use.

South West Regional Rep Alastair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure i have seen that one before somewhere? Looks like it has the headlight blanks too? Need pics of under the bonnet...

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

i like the history behind it all.but could be an idea to build my own?just means another 5 off the road.and thats not good!
    but you have a good point about it being thrashed!lol
    should imagen they have had a hard time!
    but i think iv gotta have a cup just for what it is.it would put a smile on my face everytime i look at it!
    will keep my eyes pealed for one ,but my ask for advice if thats ok?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by r5_scotty View Post
    i like the history behind it all.
    The car? Do you know any history of it - Have you asked the seller? There's no mention in the advert

Quote Originally Posted by r5_scotty View Post
    my ask for advice if thats ok?
    No

Quote Originally Posted by Alastair View Post
    Looks like it has the headlight blanks too?
    There were never headlight blanks fitted (unless they were some after-market item). They just had stickers covering the headlights

I don't think I've seen that car before. I quite like the white/grey combo'. Is it an original coupe shell, I wonder? I can't see for sure, but are they speaker grills on the front door cards. If so, that could point towards a re-shell, as they didn't have them.

I wonder just how many Coupes are left out there.....

South West Regional Rep Alastair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The new Bill J View Post
    There were never headlight blanks fitted (unless they were some after-market item). They just had stickers covering the headlights
    They did in France, I've seen a couple of cars in the UK with them but like you say they had STD headlights for the series.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alastair View Post
    They did in France, I've seen a couple of cars in the UK with them but like you say they had STD headlights for the series.
    Do you know if they were Renault items? I've never seen 'proper' ones before - Only home made efforts, made out of baked bean tins

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a fibreglass headlight cover. Never used (untrimmed). Seems a perfect fit, exact copy of the glass, but will a bit extra. They always ran with headlights, even in the coupe cup though.
    yeah, could be french maybe?

Remember the coupes has the brake ducts, stiffer engine mounts....
    And the rear Koni's used on the cup cars where re-valved to be stiffer (well, solid really). Dont think the fronts where....

They will have been trashed, but Im sure many of the road cars have been too!
    Last edited by Sam Fish; 11-04-2011 at 09:28.

Post Thanks / Like

Shame we cant get the uprated rear shocks refurbished, i have some that are ok for now, but wont last forever.

Also dont forget the coupe badge!! Cant get them anywhere... although european replicas are available.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

You can get them rebuilt
    My dad gets koni's revalved for the clio's. It was a mission finding somebody that was good enough though. Many came back leaking before it was sorted!

I THINK it's around £80 a damper, maybe Something like that.