Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Renault 5 GT Turbo Tungsten Track Car

Quote Originally Posted by djinuk View Post
    that inner rear arch looks to be in really good nick.. keep at it, im watching this project all the time .
    Yeah it's not bad, I have cleaned all the seam sealer/underseal of it though, has 1 small bit of welding to be done and the usual bumper brackets.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    Looks like it's back up for sale on Pistonheads
    http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2640529.htm

By the way Lewis project is looking good matey

Cheers

Yeah I see it the other day, Johnson18 was interested in it.

Post Thanks / Like

To start with I've done away with my Photobucket account and gone over to Flickr, as it so slow and always sticks my photo's in different albums. I'm hoping I doesn't mess my pictures around much from the thread though.

Done some work on the boot lid at the weekend, mainly weight saving and just cleaning it up.

Firstly removed the glass as I'm going to use perspex windows and the glass had a big scratch on it.

A lot easier than I thought.

I had all ready taken out the wiper motor and arm then worked out what I was going to cut off.

Cut away the cables for the motor and heated screen.

Forgot to get a finished picture.

Also bought a couple of meters of CDS as I'm going to ad a few bars onto my roll cage.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty much finished seam welding the spare sum frame, Welding looks s**t but I just been practicing with the new welder.

Just need to get it powder coated now when I send the VW Beetle floor pan off.

Decided I'm going to paint the inside of the boot matt black like I'm doing the rest of the inside so it doesn't look to out of place.

So started some of the prep work.

Post Thanks / Like

Painted the bonnet hinges.

Also finished the steering rack tonight as I got the new gaiters this afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like

Selling up,

Just lost interest and patience with the project, needs a lot more money and time spent on the car and realistically isn't going to be finished for another year yet. Can't wait that long so I'm looking at getting a myself Clio 197 for the time being, maybe come back to 5's in a few years time.

All parts will be going up for sale, If you see anything in this thread you like PM me. I mean anything and everything.

Lewis

Post Thanks / Like

Right......

What seems to be months without working out on the car, I have to say I've missed it! After quite a few debates and a lot of thinking I'm going to carry on the Renault project! I've spent all this weekend away with Cliosport.net and as much as I would like a nice new modern reliable car, the Clio 197 is just too boring for me!

Annoyed that I did sell a few parts, but they all can be easily replaced. Glad I never let the engine go but then the advert was pretty bad.

Spent this evening putting a spare interior loom in and got the engine turning over. I'm going to do things a bit different to what I originally planned, so watch this space.

Lewis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elcie View Post
    Right......

What seems to be months without working out on the car, I have to say I've missed it! After quite a few debates and a lot of thinking I'm going to carry on the Renault project! I've spent all this weekend away with Cliosport.net and as much as I would like a nice new modern reliable car, the Clio 197 is just too boring for me!

Annoyed that I did sell a few parts, but they all can be easily replaced. Glad I never let the engine go but then the advert was pretty bad.

Spent this evening putting a spare interior loom in and got the engine turning over. I'm going to do things a bit different to what I originally planned, so watch this space.

Lewis.
    Good to hear mate, you won't regret it, the valver lump is so much better than the C1J.

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5teve L View Post
    Good to hear mate, you won't regret it, the valver lump is so much better than the C1J.
    totally agree, drove mine to the MOT station this morning just hope it passes first time so I can enjoy it again

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Good man Lewis, glad to hear you are sticking with. You will love it once up and running

Post Thanks / Like

Was good talking to you on the Saturday and glad you're sticking with the project. It can be hard at times, sometimes it's good to leave it a while, regain the enthusiasm and crack back into it

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, Dale I have to see your sometime soon

Yeah was a really good day I thought, you should have camped at Tony's, was a right laugh.

Lost my camera for the last 2 weeks thought so not been able to get any proper pictures only ones of my phone.

But been doing some welding today, also painted the rear beam and started striping the engine out over the weekend.

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah just doing some work on it again, sorted out all problems for the MOT apart from adjusting the rear handbrake, need to put on the ramp or lift car a lot higher, damn exhaust is covering the whole area under there and sort out the bit of welding needed for it then will be on the road again

Post Thanks / Like

Lewis, keep up the good work matey and find that camera love all the pic's you have been takeing it's what makes a good project thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers James

Few pictures of some bits I've been doing, I lost my camera for 2 weeks so there a bit all over the place.

Started stripping the engine out off the other shell.

Rust treated the rear beam and painted it.

Got my Spal fan back off a mate that I gave it too when I wasn't guna use it anymore.

Much lighter compared to the s**tty standard one.

Relocated the Charge cooler tank and cleaned up the welds as I looked like a blind chimp had made it, Going to get it powder coated black then it should look Ok

Cars a bit dusty and scratched already from all the grinding, cutting and welding, But I'm going to redo the engine bay gloss black along with the interior once I've trail fitting the engine. Also going to change the rooting around of the water pipes.

Some of the welding

Looks a bit **** in places but it's really hard to get the grinder in those tight angles to smooth it off, not too worried as It will be covered up buy the thick under seal.

That's it, I've took more pictures on my phone but the Photobucket app isn't working atm.

The new target is to get it running ready for the road by the end of the month. :/

Sounds good Dale, where did you say you got your new brake fluid reviseiour from?

And I'm after some campas rear window if any body has any? Already got the seals.

Post Thanks / Like

Lewis looking good matey, end of month you gotta make it to the next surrey meet will be an RTOC conversion meet

Post Thanks / Like

Haha, what't the dates? get Dale down as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Haha, what't the dates? get Dale down as well.

Next one is wednesday the 7th Sept be good to catch up with you guys

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh It want be insured by then, I've got a policy that runs out on the 11th and want to use the extra years no claims.

Post Thanks / Like

Got some more welding done before it started to rain.

Took out the pedal box, save painting around it when I do the inside.

The weldings crap, getting fed up TBH and its really awkward to get under there when the car is on the floor.
    Last edited by elcie; 27-10-2011 at 23:45.

Post Thanks / Like

Lewis keep up the hard work you will love it when you have finished it

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks James

Time for an update,

Took the engine out a couple of weeks back, borrowed a crane as I've taken the winch down.

Wouldn't normally jack on the sub frame but it was guna be scraped anyway.

Bought a OMP steering wheel of a mate that I've nagging to sell to me for nearly a year, well pleased with it just needs a Lifeline group N boss.

Finally this afternoon took the clutch off and chucked the engine on the stand,

Not really done a lot else other than messed about with the new daily, put a new head gasket on and replaced and few other seals, just waiting on another carb gasket then It will be back on the road.

Can't complain really it was free. Plan is to run it to work so I can put everything into getting the Renault on the road.

Post Thanks / Like

Still not got the Mini finished but I have decided I'm not going to use it as a daily, the weather has just got too **** down here and I don't want to be scrapping Ice from both sides of the windscreen,

Been working from dust til dawn recently so have most of the money together to finish the car, soon as the welding and underseal Is done, It will be going of to the bodyshop and having the interior and engine bay painted gloss black.

Picked up a set of Polycarb windows, fitted the rear already but I'm not to sure what I'm going to do with the sides as I want to convert to campas rears (non opening)

Wasn't sure about the tint at first, but I like It now It's fitted. Just needs a polish to remove some of the swirls.

Bought some bumper repair brackets.

Finally, I moved the drive around and got the beetle back In the garage as I don't think that I'll be finished this year either :/

Post Thanks / Like

Finally, I moved the drive around and got the beetle back In the garage as I don't think that I'll be finished this year either :/

dont worry you aint the only 1 who not going to get their car done. my mate across the road has 1 of these beetles, its been sat on his drive for months and nothing gets done.this is his 2nd vw now, his last 1 was a camper (which had more holes than a colander) that never got done he ended up selling it.

Post Thanks / Like

Your not hiding that body very well.....

Post Thanks / Like

Ah the beetle.... it will be on the road for next summer for sure.

That dead body gets everyone, started it a couple of months ago. we just leave it around under that cars and stuff and the amount of people that turn up and either start talking to it or just look really confused.