Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DG locost race car powered by SR20DET project

Mart I desperatly DID NOT want the usually build the night before setup but as always life has stolen my spare time and even the S3 is not finished yet so its crack on and finish the beast or weld the bloody diff in the omega estate LOL

Was hoping after covering 1000's of miles and loads of track days with you and that car I may finally get out in that jap taxi FAIL! lol

More than happy to give a pax ride pending

1. it working
    2. you fitting lol
    3. been able to drive it LOL

Stop been tight and get the jap taxi south

Having a good chat with Flan yesterday and worked a cheeky deal with him to save some time on my exhaust custom build lots will be changed for the future but for now - std ecu, turn the boost up a touch (well you have to ) and see if it works

DG

Post Thanks / Like

It's not a case of being tight mate - I'm driving out to ze fatherland on Sunday, and it's too much of a mission (read stupid early start) to get the Evo back up here Sunday morning, for me to then jump in a company car, boot it down to Ashford to catch a reasonable (hopefully!) time ET train, then a ~6hr drive to Stuttgart.

I was thinking of knocking the Saturday night @ Mallory on the head, but would miss out on the fun & games then plus I'm/we're now not eligible for a room refund from that hotel we're all booked in at.

Anyway, I'll bring my lid, just incase...

Post Thanks / Like

Dude I had a tear in my eye reading that LOL

Man up biach

leave the evo at mine if it helps in any way? But understand the logistics, could be tempted to steal that room for the night if you get stuck

Def bring the lid though

See you soon bad boy

Post Thanks / Like

Steal the room? You have a room all booked & paid for in your name already, you geeza

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    Steal the room? You have a room all booked & paid for in your name already, you geeza
    I have long legs and need 2 lol

Sorry read that wrong (blame 2 nights of no sleep due to Benji been ill) yes have our own room the sat - were you staying the fri night also? That was what I thought you were unable to make and hence may been able to take the room

DOH, time to sleep on keyboard

Your not getting out of staying the Sat geeza

Post Thanks / Like

We're there both nights mate, as is Steve & Sarah, Lomo & Nicola, and Billy Pallets.

You & Sarah, Ricardo & his missus, and possibly Alex are down as staying the one night (Saturday).

If you now want to stay the Friday night as well, you'll need to contact the hotel, mention the group booking (*), and see if the guy can sort you a room for Friday.

* which, if you do stay both nights, then entitles you & Sarah to free breakfast

Post Thanks / Like

Roger that!

Dont get me started on breakfast there after last year when they forgot even though told twice and argued I never told them lol

Ok well as it stands there for the sat night only but see how things go - may still be working on the car

Just finished getting final spec for the I/C and rad setup and going to have to lose 100mm height off the rad but will still be more than upto the job of cooling

I/C is 565mm across and 380mm height depth 80mm inc outlets (sure is 40 or 50mm core)

Rad now 370mm height and 530mm across with 50mm core

Overall depth when together in love = 170mm which should be fine

For once something is working out and even managed to sweet talk him for some free hose work so hopefully temps (which I have issues with lol) should be taken care of!

DG

Post Thanks / Like

Well struggled with free time this weekend but did manage 2 hrs very late Sat night ready for the Sunday morning trip to friends for more fabrication work. And got a good 5hrs work on sun

As always nothing is straight forward and my list of 6 jobs ended up with getting one done....but the most important and time consuming.

Gearbox custom mounts done, replacement engine and box complete fitted with turbo etc all attached and also extra work to make it fit - actuator has 1mm clearence from chassis its that kind of close - EVERYWHERE lol

So decided to use the oe mount point on the gearbox and the hard bit was working out where they were and how high it was as with the box in it was blind and with it out bit hit and miss measuring due to funcky angles and no room to get any form of measuring tool in etc etc etc

Anyway got there in the end and have to say VERY happy with the final engine / box mounting - finished the welding to the mounts stated a few weeks back also. So with tubing cut to size and blind bold welted to repair washers it was all welded together and one side bolts onto the oe studs and the other is accessed through a very nice small access hole from under the car. Job done, Rob has some better pics but had 3 cheeky ones on the phone which I will try and upload and share now

Not bitter or twisted about forgetting the release bearing for the box so guess what I am doing 1 evening for no bloody good reason

DG

Post Thanks / Like

Ok managed to meet up with Flan earlier in the week for a dodgy deal on an ind est but got to see his sr20det powered beast and have to say sounded great and went like I hoped

So have most of the exhaust bits now and hope to make this weekend

Also got the engine back out last night and fitted fully this time and converted the clutch to hydraulic, only problem is the starter motor fouls the chassis so need trimming dowm a touch but was too late for grinder

Also got a load of pipework for the cooland / boost etc and collect the remote oil filter kit this weekend so thats the oil sorted

Alas the i/c and rad options will not be done in time so its oe little rad and a vx i/c for now lol, spend time after installing how I want

Got a day in the machine shop lined up and few things to make / tweek inc propshaft, few brackets, remove 2 broken studs out of turbo - dont ask!!!!

started the fuel pump and swirl pot install also

Getting soooo close but sooo little time as well

See how it goes

DG

Post Thanks / Like

Ok some good progress yesterday and fuel setup done and just need wiring, made alt bracket and fitted, loom installed, propshaft cut and ready to weld this week, turbo removed to get broken studs out, rad installed, pipe work done

Quite a bit left but getting there

KNACKERED LOL

Post Thanks / Like

2 steps forward 1 step bk - ended up with the tubi manifold off after another the stud holding it on broke so need to track down a gasket asap and hopefully some bolts / studs (not the normal size I have spare) oh and circlip on actuator bracket broke lol

Engineering friend has the propshaft to join but in a true enineer mode moaning about strength and lock of sleeving etc etc etc.....just sort it was my response

Got the final list of parts required and looks like some true pmt is required on the oil filter as the remote location kit sticks out too far still lol - so BIG dent in corner of filter it is

So hope to get to the machine sho after work to remove broken studs and then get it all bk on and hopefully start to address the wiring then thu / fri is welding some bosses on for sensors on spa dash and also make the exhaust, fit the propshaft, mod the bonnet (it will be very PMT aka a big hole in the middle lol) attend to guess boost and see if it starts

It is starting to sound a smaller list but know its going to be VERY VERY close!!!!!!

Be gutted if its not ready

DG

Post Thanks / Like

Well as a few of you may have seen I got to the track late and with no car

It was finished and driving but then an issue with my friend been able to take the trailor and car back home after and after a few FULL on days could not be arsed so put it back in the garage

Will get some pictures sorted but the very short drive was....its bloody quick and sure most of you saw Flans very similar car going round the track to get a view of what it will be like

Hope to get it on track early next month which gives me a day or so spare to finish and tidy up a few bits that got thrown in.

GUTTED it never worked out but very pleased it works lol

Just about finished this project now and by some strange sad turn of events looking to start another

Project BARGE (omega barge coming off the road to put the S3 on and thinking omega estate, nice interior (proper seats and bring the horrible wood upto date, sort the body work and get it on decent suspension, wheels etc............................................... then onto my fave bit - engine conversion

Atm its going to be V8, v6 turbo or 2/2.5 turbo option

RB25/26 turbo lump looks interesting although the SR20DEt is really an easy option

RS4 engine currently at top of hit list if for nothing else noise

Saab turbo lumps B204 stuff bolts onto current omega box / diff so bit easier

LSx v8 range a big option

BMW 335i option athough know nothing about hem really other than seem to make good power

And not forgetting vag tsi range

Atm the larger engines are making more sense but goal is to keep a practical barge but make it look half decent and 400bhp ftw

I need to get out more

Big thanks to everyone who has helped to get this car running (Flan got most of the questions lol) most of the fabrication help are ext to this site so no point naming but its all VERY good

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Grier View Post
    Just about finished this project now and by some strange sad turn of events looking to start another

Project BARGE (omega barge coming off the road to put the S3 on and thinking omega estate, nice interior (proper seats and bring the horrible wood upto date, sort the body work and get it on decent suspension, wheels etc............................................... then onto my fave bit - engine conversion...
    You taken leave of ALL of your senses Grier??

Post Thanks / Like

Ok well not much progress at all since ND due to no free time but managed a few hrs and sorted a few jobs I never knew I had

But got half day on it this weekend and hope to finish most of the prep work and sensor gauge mounting before final day of fabrication work and then its bit of paint and set boost up

Going to stick oe map for now and up the boost a bit (220+bhp) just to get it out there and see how it goes. The electronic boost controller also gives me the option of stock boost (200bhp) and a bit less if required for poss wet days

Main work left mech / fab wise is redo the angle of exhaust / downpipe, finish the missing section of bonnet (it has a sr20det size hole in it lol) new boost hose with T pieces, nose cone ducting, few other small items

Then its harass Mart and have a track day

Big thing to confirm atm is if the rear diff has had the crush washer removed for a solid spacer and if we chuck an lsd in there (it is un proven at these torque levels so could be interesting)

But hope the std 185 cut slicks will not be enough to hut the diff before spinning or even the slick maybe

Will get some recent pictures uploaded at some point also so you get a better idea of progress

DG

Post Thanks / Like

250bhp should be easy at around a bar and I ran a stock ecu. I hit 102mph terminals last year at Pod with the stock weight on the S14a, which roughly equates to that power.

I'm now getting 113mph at 1.2bar on the GT30 with a stock engine and a similar weight

Post Thanks / Like

Adam 250 with stock ecu and no chip/daughter board? I know you can run upto a bar of boost but did not think it took the power that high? If the fueling is fine happy days with that much for now

I have a HKS EVC 6 boost controller but am trying to work out the plugs on the back of the controller as I have only ever used it as a boost gauge. Have the 2 pin loom (there is also a 3 and 5 pin) 5 pin is for the pc connection to control software so dont need that but am missing the 3 pin connector and can buy them

Anyway seems the 2 pin harness is the scramble loom but mine connects into more loom and gets powered by this and also connects to the solinoid so may be able to use this one as confirming any real diags for the hks stuff is a ball ache

Going to have a play this weekend and connect it up

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, totally standard, mate. The only mods to that car were the front mount, straight through exhaust, walbro pump and a bar of boost. Effectively I've gained over 10 mph on the 1/4 mile from a larger turbo and 2psi more boost, it just goes to show how well the Sr20 performs. Not to mention I hit 113mph with a boot full of gear for pod.

Post Thanks / Like

gt2871 or 76 i cant remember? and 555 injectors saw me hitting 118 terminals. i have this feeling youll spend more time sideways than straight lol

Post Thanks / Like

Just as a side note, the JDM S15 had a foctory output of 247bhp. The engine differences were minimul. A much more free flowing exhaust system, 480cc injectors iirc (compared to the 370cc's on the S14/a's, the rollerbearing turbo (which only aided spool up) and that's all I can think of at the moment.
    Last edited by Adam L; 21-07-2011 at 00:20.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok well I def have a free flowing exhaust and intake for that matter lol, and not longer eunning ac/power steering/large alternator etc

Do you know what the 370cc injectors are good for?

I have avaiable the use of AFR kit with clamp on probe for exhaust so thinking even my discount at Brunters of £50+vat for an hr a cheaper trackday prob makes more sense and can adjust the boost from in the car on the EVC boost controller

Adam did you retain the oe actuator? Had no plans to change mine based on power atm

Have a lot to learn with this car on track so more than happy with about 220bhp, still debating the LSD options and beefing up of axle and diff. Sure it reaches a point of too much power is slower in the bends and bit much on the straights also and just end up snapping shafts all day long

Not long now and may get it out on track

DG

Post Thanks / Like

I actually had an adjustable actuator on my old car but the preload was only 13psi, and I literally just wacked the bleed valve up as the stock ecu is very forgiving.

Diff options are so open it's rediculous. You can run anything from the whole 200sx range to Skyline. The S15 diff seems to be the most popular but is the most expensive. I can't remember all the roatios as it's really late, but they're easily obtainlable. Funnily enough there was a recent thread on sxoc aboout gearbox options and diffs, with a link to work out top speeds. Mine, with all the correct ratios worked out at 185mph at a 7100rpm rev limit (that's an all stock transmition and clearly power/aero dictates that). The 5 speed is similar but I don't know the ratios.

Lag is the least of your worries, so if you think you're going to be slow in the corners, on a T28, you've got another thing coming.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

[quote=D4WNO;227641]I actually had an adjustable actuator on my old car but the preload was only 13psi, and I literally just wacked the bleed valve up as the stock ecu is very forgiving.....[quote]

God D4WNO

You're know more about cars than you let on!

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=Big Steve - Raider;227653][quote=D4WNO;227641]I actually had an adjustable actuator on my old car but the preload was only 13psi, and I literally just wacked the bleed valve up as the stock ecu is very forgiving.....

God D4WNO

You're know more about cars than you let on!

She picks things up better than I can explain them

I forgot about the injectors, they're only small, so 270-280bhp should be obtainable on a good map. Personally I'd upgrade just because they're such a low cc.

I hope Duncan doesn't have the gearbox woe's I've just had. I've just driven back from Swindon and 4th gear has smashed itself to peices along with the rest of the box. The noise was so horrendous when it went I actually thought the prop shaft had broken and was grinding on the road

Post Thanks / Like

Thansk for the info

Sure the gearbox will be fine - not massive power and very light car

Only looking at upto 250bhp atm, need to confirm the diff is ok - its not the 200sx item and live rear axle so they are not used to that hind of power - ratios look ok from my math prior to instal

Ok so those injectors are fine for my starting poin but will upgrade if / when ready for a another spike of power

So for upto 250bhp is the stock act setting ok or does it need a bit more preload?

Cheers
    DG

Post Thanks / Like

Preload wise, on the sttock actuator, you're a little stuck as they're not adjustable. However, an old trick to lengthen the rod is to place washers undeneath the actuator bracket on the compressor housing so you're putting more tension on the spring.

Post Thanks / Like

didnt realise it was you who drove this...

one of the most entertaining cars at nats day last year.. looked to be epic fun!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djinuk View Post
    didnt realise it was you who drove this...

one of the most entertaining cars at nats day last year.. looked to be epic fun!
    Very Similar cars DJ but the one at ND was Flan's & Duncan's didn't make it

Post Thanks / Like

oohhh.. bloody fail.. well after seeing that one i imagine this was will be pretty epic aswell!!

thanks for clearing that up steve.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes flans is a similar build but different chassis - my one is a lot smaller and running live rear, Flans is IRS

His is currently running a bit more power also but for now I still have a ? mark over how much the rear diff can take so going to stick with 250bhp for now

Probably very similar in performance as mine weighs a chunck less and have full cage so it must be better LOL

Car due to trailer to Scoff over winter for a session to set the boost up and check a few things and then few little jobs (seat / bonnet buldge etc) to have ready for 2012 track season - Anglesea (booked), Blyton Park (RTOC ND) & Spa (Paid for)

Depending on other commitments may pull the engine back out to do a minor refresh (sort a common oil leak) early next year

Will get some pictures when I am at the unit next