Post Thanks / Like

1995 clio rsi

iv just bought an old clio rsi which is in major need of some love!!!
    the problem is that i cant seem to find any info or bits for it so i was wondering does anyone know if the subframe bushes are the same as gtt's??
    also would a set of gtt struts fit??

iv sized up fitting a gtt side exit exhaust but i need a longer downpipe made

and i cant find anything for the engine except for a cam from catcams so i was looking and it seems the engine is basically the same as the volvo lump some of you guys use so i was wondering if injectors/ecu will fit???
    maybe even a turbo conversion at some point?

has anyone even owned one of these??
    any help greatly received

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1995 clio rsi

Basically a single cam Clio 16v......
    Yes, its a a B18 type engine, so in theory a Volvo turbo will fit in there......suspension? 16v clio and williams stuff fits a treat.
    Get a 16v bonnet and front wings and the styling dept. is sorted.....
    Need any 16v stuff, give me a shout.
    Matt5@codered.

Post Thanks / Like

nice one, thanks
    i agree on the bonnet and front wings making it look miles better

i have a shed full of gtt bits so was hoping to use some of the bits i have but i need to see if they fit

Post Thanks / Like

Nice buy.. There getting a rare one to come across now!! Haven't had one but my mate did.. There not very easy to get stuff for off the shelf pretty difficult as not many things were made for it but am sure a reworked one could be just as good?! As for the gtt bits I no they run a gtt rear beam on the rsi but unsure of other bits so please give me a shout when you find out and let me no..

Good luck with it, keep us posted.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

well i brought an rsi a month ago due to needing some fun in my life as im now a home owner.so i began my research once i brought the car.
    i looked into parts/tuning and couldnt really find alot mainly air filters and exhausts. so i thought b18ft now the rsi 1.8 8v lump looks to be the same but its no where near the same! i read a few bits about turboing the 1.8 but the comp is totaly wrong. a 1.7 volvo head is flat by the valves where a rsi 1.8 is recessed.so there for the pistons a different to,rsi pistons flat top ,volvo pistons recessed hence lower comp.
    excuse the bad terminoligy and spelling!new to this.
    anyhow i have learnt that its wise to buy a b18ft lump and just do a swap and fiddle with the wiring loom.easy said than done!

so then i looked at the 2.0 8v laguna f3r. thought i would stay 8v and go 2.0.but my little 1.8 8v rsi lump runs so sweet and doesnt tap at all. it pulls like a train (for an 8v)and you wont gain much bhp from the f3r. so now my plans are to keep the standard lump and work on that. tho not cheap. as you found,cat cam is a good upgrade so thats what im going for .in the process of making my own manifold for a set of r1 bike carbs to use as throttle bodies as there cheap. then using f3r injectors.iv fitted a full exhaust system with decat.the manifold is pretty much a 4 into 2 into 1,so theres no point buying a manifold.i have magnicor leads and a k&n filter.then will go for a remap . should be a fun cheap little car.

failing all that the best conversion i have been told is a straight swap for the williams/megane f7r 150bhp?

hope any of this helps?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

ktec are doing a front brake upgrade kit on special at the mo for the rsi and its a good upgrade. have just brought one myself.

and in the way of suspension

apex struts and springs are on special to.some good buys from ktec at the mo.

Post Thanks / Like

i just happen to also have an Rsi the brakes are the same as the 5
    was chatting to marky mark about the volvo lump the rsi head is different but the wiring is there would seam a very easy job in theory

the subframe and shocks are the same as the basic clio gear other than the anti roll bar
    its even the smaller of the 2 bearings in the hubs

this ones mine

Post Thanks / Like

ok so i attacked the clio at the weekend and have sorted the massive list of probs
    so after driving it iv decided its a nice little car to run around in!could do with being lowered tho

i looked at the 2.0 laguna block swap but thought its not worth the effort!
    so i might wait and do the volvo turbo or mighty c1j conversion at a later date

iv found that all of the 5 gtt brakes,suspension stuff is the same and fits but i cant get the exhaust to fit so am thinking of making up a longer down pipe and fitting the sidey.

il get some pics up......

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by mike r5 gtt; 07-03-2011 at 21:23.

Leeds & South Yorkshire Area Rep
    Loose Bolts Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

currently on with a b18ft into my clio rsi, picked the car up for £275 and the engine turbo, gearbox, loom, etc for £150, dirt cheap track car. cooling pipe work is done, on with the boost pipes and then the wiring, its not as straight forward as everyone makes out tho, theres alot of making things fit etc

mine performed really well at mallory in the wet performance, aint that bad for a na engine if its really on a budget

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

From the photos, I'm guessing it was a cheap trade-in....
    Cracking little cars, and it looks very tidy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@CodeRedMotorsports View Post
    From the photos, I'm guessing it was a cheap trade-in....
    Cracking little cars, and it looks very tidy.
    bought it off fleebay
    but it wouldnt idle, overheated, none of the wipers,washers worked the n/s door didnt open and on and on and on!!!!!!
    so sorted all of that and gave it what might have been its first ever clean!!looks miles better!
    im gonna sort the wheels and maybe lower it this weekend.

iv just signed up to cliosport and am reading about a mk1 f4r conversion
    but will have to see how much cash iv got as to what happens with the engine options!iv got a spare c1j that i was going to put in my campus but this is in much better condition so might do that.
    Last edited by mike r5 gtt; 04-04-2011 at 22:25.

Post Thanks / Like

id have a wee check under the skirts they rot there

also when lowering you have to pop off the back of the skirts as the torsion bars hit them when pulling them out mine has a slight crack in it

you can get the k&n panel filter also

other than that not much you can do to them but they still cruise allong a private road at 120+mph

Post Thanks / Like

we were abit quiet at work today so i thought id roll the clio in and "quickly" lower it
    iv played with my gtt's suspension lots and think the longest its ever taken is about 30mins!
    so i rolled it in, and straight away things went wrong, first i couldnt move either side skirt and nearly snapped both of them trying to get them off, only to find that someone has superglued them on so took them both off and cleanned them up .

then both bars were stuck solid, one came out after about 20mins with the slide hammer and the puller but the other side pulled the thread out and so needed heating up and then just hammered the hell out if it for about 30mins until it finally moved

so ended up taking me about 2-3hours just to lower the back

but its finally done and looks much better just gota wait til monday now to get the skirts back on then il get some pics

Post Thanks / Like

here's the clio after a change of headlights,alloy wheels and sitting lower.....