Post Thanks / Like

Really Strange Happenings (longish read)

As the title goes chaps, we've been experiencing some really strange happenings with our broadband and I wanted to put it out to everyone here to tell me what you think...

We have people parking outside the house day in day out and have never had a problem with our internet in over 12 months..hell, when the RTOC crew came up the street was taken up!!

Anyway, recently, our neighbour has been parking half on the road and half on the pavement right outside the house. Thats cool, no problems with that, apart from the fact every time he does it our internet crashes...

First time it happened (parked outside for 3 hours) I just put it down to BT so phoned them and they did a full check to see if there were any problems with the lines..All came back Crystal clear..

So, 2nd time he parks there (mid afternoon) my connection dumps..he is there for an hour and a half...drives off, internet returns...

The other afternoon I was working away and my connection dumps...Joking with myself I turn around to see if he had parked outside on the pavement and there he was getting out of the car!!!!

So, I went round to explain the situation and to cut a long story short, after explaining to them i wasnt going mad, he moved his car...as he pulls down his driveway my internet returned!!!

HAS THIS EVER HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE?? or is it just coincidence?? It never happens when anyone else parks there just him....

PS..They havent spoken to me since and have ignored me twice...Perhaps they think I'm going insane...

Help

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Really Strange Happenings (longish read)

I wonder if he has a garage opener or some strange audio arial or alike thats doing it?

or the cables are just beneath the the path and are getting squashed under weight of car

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRP View Post
    I wonder if he has a garage opener or some strange audio arial or alike thats doing it?

or the cables are just beneath the the path and are getting squashed under weight of car
    Thats what we thought...Maybe something to do with the frequency of his alarm as such I did a little google search and it is possible..PLUS, he does drive quite a heavy car...
    Its one of these here but unlikely to be this as the hub doesnt get affected...The problem is with the wifi signal...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lomo View Post
    Thats what we thought...Maybe something to do with the frequency of his alarm as such I did a little google search and it is possible..PLUS, he does drive quite a heavy car...
    Its one of these here but unlikely to be this as the hub doesnt get affected...The problem is with the wifi signal...
    Could this work the other way round then, as in, a wifi signal could stop me locking my car up, as accross the road in front of a particular house it wont lock the clifford alarm, but everywhere else its fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrixNFlix View Post
    Could this work the other way round then, as in, a wifi signal could stop me locking my car up, as accross the road in front of a particular house it wont lock the clifford alarm, but everywhere else its fine.
    If it does it one way then I can see this being a possibility....Why not!

I found this...here

Post Thanks / Like

answer to this question is easy....

Turn the internet off.. walk to the fridge ... take out an ice cold beer ( not stella as this could end with the guy impaled on the lamp post out side)...... turn on the liverpool v chelsea game recorded on sky+.. sit back & relax ... deep in the knowing that King kenny is back

sorted

Post Thanks / Like

I've had my laptop die (wifi with bt hub) when I was playing with my RC boat which is on 2.4ghz, turned it off and it went fine

but if I walked to the otherside of the garage it came back

i just put it down to the £20 cheap chinky poo remote that i bought!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moggy View Post
    I've had my laptop die (wifi with bt hub) when I was playing with my RC boat which is on 2.4ghz, turned it off and it went fine

but if I walked to the otherside of the garage it came back

i just put it down to the £20 cheap chinky poo remote that i bought!
    This is a BT hub as well...

And Gibbo...you make me laugh

Post Thanks / Like

This is a BT hub as well...

And Gibbo...you make me laugh

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds more like radio interference, we had the problem at work, not down to a car but due to an electrical item which causes your connection to disconnect, wasn't even in our building the dodgy item was but problem has seem to be resolved since the equipment has been removed. BT walk around with a radio on AM and it picks up if there is a problem as the sound changes loads when its by the item

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Weird mate...

I've got a laptop with wifi and it only works in the same room as the wifi router... If I take the laptop out of the room it just crashes to a blue screen and I have to re-boot it. It runs for a few mins then crashes again... Barmy

Post Thanks / Like

i use a dongle for my internet, absolutely brilliant.... but only in 3 places in my front room. if i move a a few inches left or right, signal goes to nothing lol. but i live just on the border of the acceptable range of it.
    I was comparing the peak time dl speed with my friend the other night, i was getting 900kb to 1.2mb dl he could get next to nothing? i couldnt believe it when he showed me, BT for broadband seem to suck

Post Thanks / Like

im on sky max broadband, we run 2 laptops nearly both continuously at the same time, i can take my laptop across the road, garden,in the loft and ive never lost a signal yet.
    your problem seems like radio interference. i wonder if the quality of the laptop wifi card could cause this too?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raj View Post
    im on sky max broadband, we run 2 laptops nearly both continuously at the same time, i can take my laptop across the road, garden,in the loft and ive never lost a signal yet.
    your problem seems like radio interference. i wonder if the quality of the laptop wifi card could cause this too?
    Dont have a laptop personally...Both the computers, and the phones and even the wifes laptop all get disconnected..Then when he drives off they all return...

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried changing your broadband filter? not sure how its kicking out your phones though, unless there is some dodgy cables under the pavement and the car is breaking the circuit

Post Thanks / Like

You can change the Frequency on the hub to a different channel cant you ? (if its a wireless prob)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IANMM View Post
    You can change the Frequency on the hub to a different channel cant you ? (if its a wireless prob)
    Why do you need to change the wireless frequency when he is saying that the connection is dropping thats nothing to do with wireless thats to do with the line going into the router.

Post Thanks / Like

All the lights on the hub are indicating there isn't a problem...For anyone with a BT hub they'll know they should all be a blue colour...if it goes wrong they turn yellow....All of them are blue but yet when he parks outside we lose the wireless signal on the computers and yet they stay blue...

Post Thanks / Like

So your internet connection does not crash, have you tried plugging in a wire straight into the router and seeing if you still have a connection when he parks outside?

Post Thanks / Like

is the computer connected to your router wireless or it it via a patch lead?

Post Thanks / Like

Channels: You may find that some other wi-fi equipment close by (perhaps a neighbour's wi-fi) could be on the same wi-fi channel, clashing with your Hub's wi-fi channel. There are 13 wi-fi channels available. Perhaps change the default channel.

BT Home Hub (firmware version 6.2.2.6 and above)

1. Open the Hub Manager program by clicking the icon on your desktop or by typing the URL http://bthomehub.home into your browser.
    2. Click Advanced in the menu then Continue
    3. You will be prompted to enter a username and password.
    4. On the main screen, locate the Channel Selection option and select Manual
    5. You can then select the channel. Try channels 1, 7 or 11 in the first instance
    6. Click Apply to confirm the change. Then wait 60 seconds for your computers to discover the new settings (this will be done automatically). There is no need to change any settings on your computer.

BT Home Hub (firmware version 6.1.1.R and below)

1. Open the Hub Manager program by clicking the icon on your desktop or by typing the URL http://bthomehub.home into your browser.
    3. Click Switch to another user
    4. You will be prompted to enter your username and password.
    5. Click Home Network, then click Interfaces
    6. In the diagram on the right, click the WLAN: BTHomeHub link
    7. Click Configure in the horizontal menu on the right hand side
    8. On the main screen, locate the Channel Selection option and select Manual
    9. You can then select the channel. Try channels 1, 7 or 11 in the first instance
    10. Click Apply to confirm the change. Then wait 60 seconds for your computers to discover the new settings (this will be done automatically). There is no need to change any settings on your computer.

BT Voyager Wireless Routers (all models)

1. Open the Configuration Manager program by typing the URL http://voyager.home into your browser.
    3. You will be prompted to enter a username and password. The default username/password combination is admin/admin
    4. Under the Configuration menu, click Wireless
    5. Under the Settings page, you can now select the channel
    6. Click Apply to confirm the change. Then wait 60 seconds for your computers to discover the new settings (this will be done automatically). There is no need to change any settings on your computer.

Support for BT Voyager equipment is also available by clicking the link below:

www.voyager.bt.com

Post Thanks / Like

Just change the channel your wifi is on?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    So your internet connection does not crash, have you tried plugging in a wire straight into the router and seeing if you still have a connection when he parks outside?
    This was my thought right from 1st post. You need to establish whether its a wireless problem or your internet connection. If its internet actually dropping out BT need to be involved, if its wireless take Ians advice and try changing frequency.

Post Thanks / Like

Also screened cable (if it is wired) will cut down on interference

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
    yes mate and we dont have a connection when he's outside..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IANMM View Post
    is the computer connected to your router wireless or it it via a patch lead?
    wireless..

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, give me a chance to get my head round this as I dont want to go changing everything as it works fine when he's not there...

Post Thanks / Like

yes mate and we dont have a connection when he's outside..
    Is that a yes to the connection dropping or a yes to plugging in the wire. Other thing is your phone? Is that a wireless phone which goes through your broadband (VOIP phone?)

Post Thanks / Like

Iain,

Just get an ethernet cable and plug direct into the hub. If it works ok you definitely know it's a wireless problem and is therefore most probably a frequency clash like everyone is saying. Then just try changing the frequency channel, as per the instructions above, until you get your connection back.