Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

R21 txi disc help

Having murders, i have tried fitting my Renault 21 2.0l txi discs to my r5 gt turbo.

I bought some willwood 4 pots and had bracket/extenders made from andy tnt.

I thought at fist i was putting them on back to front or something because the calliper would not line up with the disk.

So i fitted the gt turbo disks back on with the extenders and the callipers all is well, what is happening when the 285 txi disk is sitting on the hub the disc has a larger offset ie the disk sticks further out therefore not being able to get the disk to fit where its supposed to. Its about 7-8 ml out.

I rang brembo and asked them, hard work female , im going to ring back tomorrow.

can anyone shed some light, loads of people have fitted larger 285 disks and just used r21 txi disks with extenders

Post Thanks / Like

Re: R21 txi disc help

The extenders usually use the standard gt turbo caliper mate, you will need to chop and change your caliper extenders to suit the 4pots.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philg View Post
    Having murders, i have tried fitting my Renault 21 2.0l txi discs to my r5 gt turbo.

I bought some willwood 4 pots and had bracket/extenders made from andy tnt.

I thought at fist i was putting them on back to front or something because the calliper would not line up with the disk.

So i fitted the gt turbo disks back on with the extenders and the callipers all is well, what is happening when the 285 txi disk is sitting on the hub the disc has a larger offset ie the disk sticks further out therefore not being able to get the disk to fit where its supposed to. Its about 7-8 ml out.

I rang brembo and asked them, hard work female , im going to ring back tomorrow.

can anyone shed some light, loads of people have fitted larger 285 disks and just used r21 txi disks with extenders
    Phil, im sure i mentioned this in your PM when you where having the brackets made. It certainly sounds like the offset of the discs you have are wrong or the extenders.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    The extenders usually use the standard gt turbo caliper mate, you will need to chop and change your caliper extenders to suit the 4pots.
    Its been machined to fit the willwood briggs

If i fit the willwood and the extenders on the gt turbo disk no clearance issues only the disk is not large enough ie diameter wise.

If i fit the willwood and the extenders with the r21 txi disk the offset is not right and the disk sits proud of when the gt disk sits and therefore will not fit into the guide for the disk and pads.

Sorry its a bit hard to explain

Post Thanks / Like

pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

as you can see the centre offset is different to the gt disk

Post Thanks / Like

extenders

Post Thanks / Like

from memory i think from the surface of the disc to the top of the hub face is 40mm?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MATT C Ringworm Tuning View Post
    from memory i think from the surface of the disc to the top of the hub face is 40mm?

Do you mean picture 2? its 20ml on the txi it 10ml

Post Thanks / Like

21 txi I'm pretty sure is 32 o/all 20 thick . 5 is what ? 41 o/all . Wrong extender design by the looks of it .Where they made with actual 21 txi disks in hand ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clee View Post
    21 txi I'm pretty sure is 32 o/all 20 thick . 5 is what ? 41 o/all . Wrong extender design by the looks of it .Where they made with actual 21 txi disks in hand ?

According to brembos website txi has an overall height of 31.8 and 21ml thick

gt turbo is overall 41 and 20ml thick

I have been speaking to andy and he measured up from a k-tec big brake kit which he believes to be a 285 txi disk, he is going to have a measure up.

Is the k tec kit just a txi disk?

Post Thanks / Like

Question, loads of guys have fitted larger disks, put the txi disks on with extenders then a standard gt turbo calliper.

Do the extenders just move the calliper further out the disk for the larger of size 285 or do the extenders also move the calliper further out from the disk face ie the overall hub height size to?

Post Thanks / Like

I bet if marts reading this he is thinking, should have just stuck with standard discs and ds pads like i told you

Post Thanks / Like

Question, loads of guys have fitted larger disks, put the txi disks on with extenders then a standard gt turbo calliper.

Do the extenders just move the calliper further out the disk for the larger of size 285 or do the extenders also move the calliper further out from the disk face ie the overall hub height size to?

I think you already know the answer to that one ....

Post Thanks / Like

I think you already know the answer to that one ....
    Just had a chat with andy, standard extender brackets (for a gt turbo calliper) will only move the calliper further out to the 285ml and not in or out from the face of the disk.

He also measured his larger 285 disk against his standard gt and the both have a 20ml clearance from disk face to the outer hub face.

These txi brembo only have 10ml

Does anyone else have txi disks to hand they could measure?

Post Thanks / Like

Had a good look round and all txi discs have an overall thickness of 31.8 mm and are 21mm thick so leaving ruffly 10ml from the disc face to the hub face, so my discs are the same as all other txis.

Problem i now have is measure for new extenders to take txi disc or try to buy some discs with the same thickness as the gt of 41mm.

Andy mentioned that his was a k tec set up he measured of believing them to be the same as the txis.

So on the phone to k tec tomorrow .

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I was only 1mm Out! But yeah its something I have been through and ended up with a set of lancia discs

Scotland Regional Rep youngscottie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

dont supose you guys would be willing to help
    i made caliper extenders to suit the 21 txi discs
    copied an ap bracket but ive never had any luck sourcing the txi discs
    my local motor factors cant id them
    would any of yous have a part number for the discs
    cheers
    Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by youngscottie View Post
    dont supose you guys would be willing to help
    i made caliper extenders to suit the 21 txi discs
    copied an ap bracket but ive never had any luck sourcing the txi discs
    my local motor factors cant id them
    would any of yous have a part number for the discs
    cheers
    Alan
    my brembo are 09.4626.20

Post Thanks / Like

Not trying to fit the wrong extender on the wrong side/wrong way round? i did do this with my extenders because they looked wrong when fitted correctly lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    Not trying to fit the wrong extender on the wrong side/wrong way round? i did do this with my extenders because they looked wrong when fitted correctly lol.

No, fitted from the back of hub, i did wonder though, basically the txi disk has a different offset to the gt.

Im hoping the guy at brembo will help me out with something similar like what matt said, the lancier is very close, think the centres will just need machined out from 59 to 61

Post Thanks / Like

No, fitted from the back of hub, i did wonder though, basically the txi disk has a different offset to the gt.

Im hoping the guy at brembo will help me out with something similar like what matt said, the lancier is very close, think the centres will just need machined out from 59 to 61
    Yes mate that's the ones as I think the will wood caliper's are very close dimensionally to the hi specs. You will also have to elongate the bolt holes slightly or you'll pull the thread off the bolts when fitting.

Post Thanks / Like

Your discs do look identical to mine. heres a pic if it helps, i know it is a different setup but atleast you can compare.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

so does anybody know for sure what k tec used as cant see any elongated holes on my discs that form part of the big brake conversion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    Your discs do look identical to mine. heres a pic if it helps, i know it is a different setup but atleast you can compare.
    You can see on those that the extender is moving the caliper out from the original mount face on the hub carrier to suit the TXI disc .

Post Thanks / Like

just seen this thread, give me 5 minutes.............

Post Thanks / Like

Right, i've been in the garage for ya Phil

My larger disks (old set up and I presume from the 21) which work with the standard caliper have a dimension from the face of the disk to the face of the wheel mounting of 18mm (see first pic). The disks to go with the Hi Specs have this measurement as 22mm (see second pic on the car).

I have taken a picture of the caliper where the disk rotates through. When i first installed the caliper, i too thought my old disks would be OK, however as you look at this picture, the disk was not central and was more to the right (front) of the caliper and therefore incorrect. I presume this is the problem you have, and would make sense with the 4mm difference

If you do a search, i remember reading through the slagging off of high spec brakes that someone had sourced the correct disc instead of paying hi specs prices, however they needed to get the spigot hole made bigger. I'll see if i can find it.

Also if you look on my "Your my Boy Blue" thread, the first pic is with the old disc, and a picture further down is the hi spec disc. Mine don't have elongated holes at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J8TRO View Post
    Cheers captain, i thought i was going mad

It would seem that the txi discs do definitely pull the discs further out from the hub compared to a gt disc, so the extenders being used with the txi set up and standard calipers must allow for this, ie pull disc out a little.

I think like what andy thought, myself included that all large disc conversion used a 21 txi disc. I think the 4 pot kits must source another disc.

From the comment on here and ref the other thread it seems lacier discs are going to closer to what i need tho keep the disc sitting a bit closer to the hub.

Going to ring brembo today to try and cross reference with some other disc options.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that, it looks exactly the same as the brembo catalog.

I have been cross referencing the lancia with the gt turbo and they do look similar overall width is 43.5mm

Post Thanks / Like

Phil, As per my photo of a cross section through the caliper, how does the disk foul the caliper? to the front or rear and by how much in mm? Sorry if this info is already in your tread.

Post Thanks / Like

Use the search by dimension tool . 284 diameter comes up more than 285 .Depends just how much scope you have .5 hole is also a lot more common .You can search using a min of 2 data fields

Post Thanks / Like

I bet if marts reading this he is thinking, should have just stuck with standard discs and ds pads like i told you

'Mostly ignored since 1996'

Post Thanks / Like

Phil, As per my photo of a cross section through the caliper, how does the disk foul the caliper? to the front or rear and by how much in mm? Sorry if this info is already in your tread.
    It fouls to the front, outside edge of caliper, approx 7-8mm. Im going to have a proper measure up tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

Use the search by dimension tool . 284 diameter comes up more than 285 .Depends just how much scope you have .5 hole is also a lot more common .You can search using a min of 2 data fields

I will have a good play today see if a 5 stud disc may work to, im sure there are more options

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post

'Mostly ignored since 1996'

Post Thanks / Like

I have had a chat with the guy at brembo, it seems there are a few options.

I had a bit more of a look at the set up, If i go of the gt turbo disc the centre is light up nearly perfect i could maybe do with the disc to sit 2ml back to be exact.

So if a gt disc is 41 im going to be looking for a disc around that figure maybe a bit larger to move the disc back a little more. The lancier disc has a overall height of 43.5, i think this is probably the best way to go.

Next problem the calliper just rubs on my 16" momo arrow, so i can either fit a wheel spacer on the front or move the extender back with a washer maybe.

The Williams wheels i bought for the track fit fine loads of room, i was considering going for some team dynamics pro race 1.2, just worried now the might also catch.

I will have a proper look on sat when its a bit lighter.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

just out of interest phil,which lancia discs did you go for in the end, was thinking about this today, felt guilty/responsible even if you used a "txi disc" you would never have cleared the inside of edge of 99.9 % of alloy wheels, due to the thicker side walls of the 4 pots, i dont suppose k tec or cgb let on what they used?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Right, i've been in the garage for ya Phil

My larger disks (old set up and I presume from the 21) which work with the standard caliper have a dimension from the face of the disk to the face of the wheel mounting of 18mm (see first pic). The disks to go with the Hi Specs have this measurement as 22mm (see second pic on the car).

I have taken a picture of the caliper where the disk rotates through. When i first installed the caliper, i too thought my old disks would be OK, however as you look at this picture, the disk was not central and was more to the right (front) of the caliper and therefore incorrect. I presume this is the problem you have, and would make sense with the 4mm difference

If you do a search, i remember reading through the slagging off of high spec brakes that someone had sourced the correct disc instead of paying hi specs prices, however they needed to get the spigot hole made bigger. I'll see if i can find it.

Also if you look on my "Your my Boy Blue" thread, the first pic is with the old disc, and a picture further down is the hi spec disc. Mine don't have elongated holes at all.

looked into extenders from hi spec before, as they only have a .5mm centre difference to the wilwwod midilite, wanted a 100 notes plus postage which is why i went with the machined extenders

my discs have a reading of 18/19 mm between disc face and wheel face, and ive had no problems with clearance at all, in fact i have a 4mm more gap on outside edge of disk to brake pad/ caliper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HAndy View Post
    just out of interest phil,which lancia discs did you go for in the end, was thinking about this today, felt guilty/responsible even if you used a "txi disc" you would never have cleared the inside of edge of 99.9 % of alloy wheels, due to the thicker side walls of the 4 pots, i dont suppose k tec or cgb let on what they used?

I have not sorted it out yet andy, brembo have said i can send them back, so thats good, just need to find the best disc or as close to what i will need to make the extenders work.

You are right, no way a txi disc would work with the willwoods or any other 4 pots i would imagine due to offset of the disc.

I will update the thread as soon as i have some more info

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have not sorted it out yet andy, brembo have said i can send them back, so thats good, just need to find the best disc or as close to what i will need to make the extenders work.

You are right, no way a txi disc would work with the willwoods or any other 4 pots i would imagine due to offset of the disc.

I will update the thread as soon as i have some more info

if anybody else knows what discs are used in the k tec big brake kit, please share the knowlegde with the rest of us

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a few pictures of how the calipers sit with the extenders on a gt turbo disc.

I have found a disc that has a very similar profile to a gt turbo disc, It has an overall height of 43.3, disc width is 22mm, it even has 4x100 stud pattern, the centres are a 60mm so machine out by 1mm. Job done.

Post Thanks / Like

0.10mm 60.10 innit

Post Thanks / Like

0.10mm 60.10 innit

ey

Im not addind 10th of a mm im adding 1mm 1.0mm

Post Thanks / Like

The hole in the disk will be clearance size to the hub center .IE the hub will be 60.00 mm so the hole in the disk will be 0.10 bigger or you'll struggle to fit if size for size .61.00 will be sloppy

Post Thanks / Like

The hole in the disk will be clearance size to the hub center .IE the hub will be 60.00 mm so the hole in the disk will be 0.10 bigger or you'll struggle to fit if size for size .61.00 will be sloppy

I get you the gt turbo runs a 61.00mm hub centre, correct?

So i need to get the disc machined from 59.00mm to 61.10, is that what you are saying?

Post Thanks / Like

oops ignore me

It is 61.00 I was thinking wheels ...there is a step up on the hub where the disk mounts .Sorry to confuse

Post Thanks / Like

oops ignore me

it is 61.00
    Sorry, the info i got from the brembo site said the gt has a 61 centering diamiter and in the disc measurements it says the discs have a cenrte hole of 61.084 61.010 the txi discs are 61.084 61.000.

The ones im looking at are listed as 60 in the measurements it says 60.065 60.000

Post Thanks / Like

oops ignore me

It is 61.00 I was thinking wheels ...there is a step up on the hub where the disk mounts .Sorry to confuse

Its ok mate just want to make sure i get it done right, so my disc would go from 60mm to 61.10?