Post Thanks / Like

classifieds spam

is there any need for members to spam each others adds.it happens to me and many others and is of no help what so ever is there anything the mods could do or do club rule need to be updated on the classifieds

example
    https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=20142

Post Thanks / Like

Re: classifieds spam

Looking from the outside and not being a computer wizard I think that the only thing that could be done is to not allow any replied at all to an advert so PM's only. Its impossible to tell who will spam which is a must if you are to pre empt it.

Still if you cant beat them, join them!

Post Thanks / Like

Now this is ironic! Adam you are the first to spam your own Classifieds threads!

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I can remove comments or lock the advert if I see or am asked.

I think all adverts should be locked, all chat goes via pm. The advert should be written once with all info, no need for people asking for prices, pics yadda yadda in the following 5 posts.

Cliosport have it nailed.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Phil meant to offend. Many people tell others on the classifieds that their asking price is possibly a bit high. I think its part of the process.

Rob's idea above is very good though and i'd imagine would be simple to implement.

If someone starts a thread, they are the only one who can add to it. I.e. to add pictures or a lower price etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrixNFlix View Post
    Now this is ironic! Adam you are the first to spam your own Classifieds threads!
    if you mean bumping them to keep it view them i am guilty.but it's hardley the same thing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam 005 View Post
    if you mean bumping them to keep it view them i am guilty.but it's hardley the same thing
    Of course this is subjective, but in my eyes this is spamming.

Post Thanks / Like

Adam you obviously have friends in high places. You rant about someone spamming your thread, then spam it yourself.................

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dangerous dave View Post

I think all adverts should be locked, all chat goes via pm. The advert should be written once with all info, no need for people asking for prices, pics yadda yadda

Post Thanks / Like

okay maybe spaming is the wrong word to use.maybe if members have thoughts on adds they should pm seller and express thier worries/views

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

The old website had a locked, non-replyable type classifieds and hords of people complained that it should be in the forum so people can discuss stuff. New website, forum idea implemented and now people want a locked, non-replyable classifieds

Can't win

But really people should have the decency not to stick their nose in if they have no interest in buying whatever it is (thats my general view, I havn't seen any of the threads in question at the moment).

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry im a guilty man, bend me over and spank my arse.

Like i said in the post, did not mean to insult, just trying to give you a like for like comparison as to what i paid.

I did not come on saying your having a laugh mate, did i?

I hoped it may get you a sale, buy rethinking your price a little.

Maybe i should keep quiet.

As for spamming, good spam is ok, but constructive span is bad, its nice how you mentioned a Williams 3 was a good price in another post, guess that is ok.

This is how it should be, members helping each other out to buy and sell an item.

I have often pointed people or myself been pointed in the direction or an item one of us was looking for.

phil

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

your price is a little optermistic for the condition of them mind, Personaly i think that peoples opinions on prices is good as some one who may not know may pay too much or the other way get a bargin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andyrg View Post
    your price is a little optermistic for the condition of them mind, Personaly i think that peoples opinions on prices is good as some one who may not know may pay too much or the other way get a bargin
    Im sorry but i would have to disagree with that. Firstly no one is forcing the buyer to purchase an item for what some may say (In their opinion only) is too much. Its their choice and freedom allows this. Ignorance is no excuse for breaking a law and it works for this too. If they do not do their research then who's fault is that? This also works for the seller.

I have had people comment on what I am selling and to be honest it is very annoying. If you dont want to buy something for the stated price then dont, no one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to do so. You opinion is just that, YOUR opinion and not the rule so remember that just because you are offended or think something is wrong, this does not make you right.

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is, however, a club not a public classifieds site and if a member or members think some seller is taking the P then it's the right thing to do to mention it to other members, or maybe the committee in case such a seller needs a caution or banning from classifieds use, as has happened.

Obviously, most sellers want their item to reach the highest price, but exploitation of gullible members who think because it's another member selling it's not dodgy, via the classifieds, or any other part of the site, is not acceptable.

Committee members have to waste their time dealing with the fallout when some bad transaction does occur so it's easier for us if members do actually comment on a sellers thread warning others if the asking price is excessive rather than a buyer feel very cheated then months of aggravation ensue.

We don't have a guide to advise members what they should be expecting to pay for used, or new, goods and I doubt anyone will have time to make and update one. Especially when some of the items are hard to obtain, there is no real market value, just what a buyer is willing to pay. Wealthier buyers maybe happy to pay too much in order to save something their money can't buy, their time. Some sellers will be just fishing for such a buyer, especially with hard to get parts. That's fair enough provided everyone is aware of that and they are not making out the goods are better than they are.

Comments as such on classifieds are always going to be a tricky grey area to deal with and the club has the last word. If sellers think they can get away with being sly then they'll probably be making a mistake. This is not eBay.

One solution maybe be if members could lock their own ads, which I believe is not currently technically possibly, or chose to leave them open if they know people will want to ask questions. In the former cases, should we open another board for people to comment on ads that may be taking the P or so potential buyers can talk amongst themselves about the price, quality, seller, alternatives?

Post Thanks / Like

I think if you list something for sale on a public forum expect people to comment.

I personally would expect people to pm me if I start asking questions about an item for sale "thats far too much kenobi" "Ive got one of them for half the price"

Its all part of the classifieds.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Ohhhh ohhhhh ohhhhh got a point there! 005 is on it today
    Waaaaa waaaa

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the mention, you sold your wheels yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    you sold your wheels yet.
    PMSL