Post Thanks / Like

VW Passat Estate brakes locking on

To any one who works for VW out there, need your help or wisdom on a problem i've just developed.

I got a 51 reg VW Passat Estate TDI diesel and the brakes have locked on, pulling away brakes felt ok but after about 2 miles pedal started feeling very hard (no movement) before brakes pulled up hard.
    After another mile the ABS and traction control light come on and then i can feel brakes slowing car down alot, lifting off the throttle it felt like i left handbrak on it stoped so quick.
    I pulled over (was on dual carriage way) as i could smell burning brakes, all 4 discs where starting to glow and burn the pads.

Now i'm no expert on VW's, is this a fault anyone has come across before, does it seem the ABS is applying the brakes.
    To be honest i'm not too sure, i'm hoping my brother can take car to a mates garage tomorrow to have the ECU read to see if any faults have come up.

Any help will be appriciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: VW Passat Estate brakes locking on

hi mate im off work at the mo but will make a few calls to the techs at my work and give you a bell tomorrow

Post Thanks / Like

scuttle panel drains block and fill the brake servo, not quite the same symptoms but an easy check/fix.

Post Thanks / Like

Might be worth changing the brake fluid too.

Post Thanks / Like

As per phone call mark...and as tony mentioned above, i've seeen the scuttle area filled like a pond due to the drain hole blocked which gave a huge brake issue on a passat a little older than yours.

As you took the abs fuses out to try and keep normal braking and eventually after driving around the block a few times it still brought up the problem then maybe its something to do with the servo afterall

I've not heard much about the abs control units or the abs pump at fault...but only vag com will give you more an answer if the abs and tc light are lit permantly (but still could be stored in the ecu as a fault so should come up either way.

Also defo change the fluid as by the sounds of it it's boiled for sure

Post Thanks / Like

Well its gone in today and looks like servo and master cylinder at fault, did look at changing it myself but onced looked at it though 'sod that'!