Post Thanks / Like

3 Points for snow on roof!!

Apparently a friend of mine has just had 3 points and a 60 quid fine for having snow and ice on his car roof, i laughed when he first told me but he was adement it was true, i still am not sure of it but apparently the cop told him that it was a danger to him but mostly other drivers, if anyone can shine some light on this i would be very interested as it seems a bit harsh.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 Points for snow on roof!!

It is in the highway code to remove all snow that could fall off into the path of other road users. Not to mention common sense, it is a danger all around as it could obstruct your own view.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069859

Post Thanks / Like

Good. The motorway at the weekend was a pain, kept getting hit with dirty slabs of ice/snow from other peoples cars. How hard is it to broom it off?! I managed without any problems and we had a foot of the stuff.

The idiots who only bothered to clear half their front screen and the 2 side windows need shooting

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D4WNO View Post
    Good. The motorway at the weekend was a pain, kept getting hit with dirty slabs of ice/snow from other peoples cars. How hard is it to broom it off?! I managed without any problems and we had a foot of the stuff.

The idiots who only bothered to clear half their front screen and the 2 side windows need shooting

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree. Clearing my car roof took me about 1 minutes with a soft broom,

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

When out driving, we parked up to drop some items off, when got back to the car cleared off the snow, but by the time got round the car it had built up loads as it was coming down that fast, was going round in circles, but yes definately hate people who dont clear down all windows so can see all round and the roof and boot so dont get hit but snow and ice which is even worse.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats true, britosh gas all week have sent morning texts out telling people about that and to clear vans! bit hard when you van roof is 8ft high!

Its important though, as when it turns to more ice than snow it can kill if it comes off your roof; when accelerating or turning if it were to hit a pedestrian or other car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JRP View Post
    Thats true, britosh gas all week have sent morning texts out telling people about that and to clear vans! bit hard when you van roof is 8ft high!

Its important though, as when it turns to more ice than snow it can kill if it comes off your roof; when accelerating or turning if it were to hit a pedestrian or other car.
    seen it all today,most folk have made the effort,but the car on the m'way earlier....
    as it got on an got up to speed huge parts were falling off..as we swiftly moved to middle driving lane....

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen idiots with snow still all over there car and all over the front covering headlights etc and driving at night, stupid idiots!

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless you have a convertible with the roof down...

Post Thanks / Like

well when your roof is 14m long and then 4.8m up in the air it can be quite hard :-P

but it does my head in when you see people who haven't cleared their side windows or only done 1/2 of their windscreen!!!

its like HELLO!!! they are windows for a reason!

Post Thanks / Like

easy one to solve that

dan(the lad who got pulled) had wiped his bonet and all windows, but still had a tad on roof,copper must have had a grudge,lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah there is but do you never overtake anyone on the motorway?

Post Thanks / Like

not if theres ice/snow flying in the inside lane

no seriously now peeps, i dont see how the police can enfore that as what if its snowing heavily and your in slow moving traffic the snow will build up, the one that fuc3s me off the most is when the ice buildup from the arches fall off the car infront and hit my bumper, another thing ive noticed is a couple of brand new cars have folded/creased theyre own wings down by the mudflaps due to ice buildup against the arch lining and wing and being left overnight to go rock hard, then lock to lock movement first thing in the morning damaging the wing, so thats another to look out for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by REGGY5GT View Post
    not if theres ice/snow flying in the inside lane

no seriously now peeps, i dont see how the police can enfore that as what if its snowing heavily and your in slow moving traffic the snow will build up, the one that fuc3s me off the most is when the ice buildup from the arches fall off the car infront and hit my bumper, another thing ive noticed is a couple of brand new cars have folded/creased theyre own wings down by the mudflaps due to ice buildup against the arch lining and wing and being left overnight to go rock hard, then lock to lock movement first thing in the morning damaging the wing, so thats another to look out for.
    You just asked if it was true and we have said that it is. I would hope that the police would use common sense in certain situations but so also must the driver. However thats the problem with common sense......Its not all that common!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob1980 View Post
    You just asked if it was true and we have said that it is. I would hope that the police would use common sense in certain situations but so also must the driver. However thats the problem with common sense......Its not all that common!!

im pritty sure if its snowing at the time the police wouldnt do anything, but if you have a tonne of snow on your roof before you go on your travels you should clear it off, i do it while the car is warming up. you have to be a bit der if you drive along the road with a load of snow/ice on the road its a danger to other people