Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

pop goes the engine ;-(

Just killed my r5,some cock was behind me flashing his lights going against my better judgement droped it into 2nd and gave it death changed up into and a nice cloud of smoke from behind.

Long story short fixed a leak on boost circuit which ended up gaining me 0.3 bar of boost giving me a total of 1.1 bar,the realy anoying thing is I actualy took the carb I just bought into work today to check jets then swap over and that was set up for bigger boost

Im soo angry words cant describe.

If I was to remove the engine myself what sort of cost would I be looking to pay a mechanic mates rates to rebuild it for cash and also buying the parts?

If I remove the oil cap whilist the engine is running smoke is coming out that nasty smell of death smoke grrr.

What is likely to have gone piston rings,it doesn't over heat and still drives ok

Post Thanks / Like

Re: pop goes the engine ;-(

what colour smoke ?, any mayo ?

maybe a compression test time..

Post Thanks / Like

If you got smoke coming out the oil cap on the rocker cover sounds like you have nipped a piston and it will have scored a liner too.

Does it sound like its running on 3 cylinders abit?

Also cost will really depend on who you ask to do it, sometimes its bit hard to say how much it'll be untill the engine is stripped down.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djinuk View Post
    what colour smoke ?, any mayo ?

maybe a compression test time..

look for oil in water bottle or if its dry
    any mayo/cream on the dip stick

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bit of maybo inside the oil cap defnetly foobarred mate,I can do a compression test on it.this will be the 3rd engine thats gone wrong in my hands this year.

my rover 200vi cam belt jumped fw months ago
    my birds rover 25 seized last week
    and now my r5 turbo engine has poped my only form of transport is now a pushbike up and down hill 14 mile round tripe grrrr8.

Starts car and runs pipe from outside to the cab and sits there till everythig goes blank soo gutted.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like its running normal il go out and check catch tank in a min I would get the cheepest cash in hand job going but get what you mean abou hard to tell till its stripped.

I have a mechanic who does work very cheep he done my old scooby clutch for £150 labour and gearbox on mrs rover 25 for £100.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doggydowg22 View Post
    Sounds like its running normal il go out and check catch tank in a min I would get the cheepest cash in hand job going but get what you mean abou hard to tell till its stripped.

I have a mechanic who does work very cheep he done my old scooby clutch for £150 labour and gearbox on mrs rover 25 for £100.
    I'd personally say get someone who knows about the engine to do it and not the cheapest as they will know what to look for, once its all done you need to find out why its gone.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

It went because turbo was running too much boost and the carb wasn't set up for that boost plus running 95 ron,have been running it on 95 ron for past few weeks everyday but had boost at 0.8bar.

Yesterday I sorted out the boost pipes as it was leaking resulting in me having 1.1bar,I said to myself Il check jets today on new carb ive bought ans swap round carbs,did I swap carbs no what a berk I am ;-(

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Expansion tank has no mayo in if that hellps diagnose at all,the dip stick also shot out and dumped aload of oil in the engine bay earlier too which may have bee the cload of smoke with oil hitting hoit manifold/turbo/exhaust?

Still smokes at idle once warmed,how long can I get away with driving If I was to make sure oil is toppped up and what will happen next engine seize?

Post Thanks / Like

Expansion tank has no mayo in if that hellps diagnose at all,the dip stick also shot out and dumped aload of oil in the engine bay earlier too which may have bee the cload of smoke with oil hitting hoit manifold/turbo/exhaust?

Still smokes at idle once warmed,how long can I get away with driving If I was to make sure oil is toppped up and what will happen next engine seize?
    Sounds like done a piston mate, to be honest you shouldn't be driving it around at all like that.

Bet getting it sorted asap mate

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't drive it anymore it won't last much longer as it is, if you've nipped a piston the rings are prob shot hence dipstick shooting out and oil everywhere as you have caused the sump to pressurise. If you keep driving like that the bottom end will starve of oil and then you will need to replace, crank bearings etc... that's if that has not already happened

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

eeeek Il see if I can source a cheep engine if not il probably put it on ebay,so glad I ad an oil change yesterday to blow the engine up the next day.Thanks for advice guys.Ive messaged a few ppl about engines and have had a look on flebay fingers crossed.

Post Thanks / Like

you could possibly repair it yourself ?, failing that theres a few running r5 engines for around £200 mark on the bay

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Doubt I could repair it myself I dont understand how to time engines for a start. I could remove the engine myself and give to a mechanic to repair pritty much already thrown the towel in and thinking bout buying my mrs friends 1.2 corsa merry christmas to me

Post Thanks / Like

As I have to come to you for the seats I can whip the head off no probs so we can see the damage. Then discuss what you need or want to do after that ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5teve L View Post
    As I have to come to you for the seats I can whip the head off no probs so we can see the damage. Then discuss what you need or want to do after that ?
    love these boards!!!

dont give up on a 5 based on 1 problem.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all the people who have been messaging me and offering help and advice,there is light at the end of the tunnel looks like I might be getting my hands dirty and fixing it

Post Thanks / Like

Worst case as per PM, I also have an engine hoist, it works but you may get covered in oil using it (as James knows )
    No need to give up & no need for it to cost an arm & a leg

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all the people who have been messaging me and offering help and advice,there is light at the end of the tunnel looks like I might be getting my hands dirty and fixing it
    Once you've seen it done & helped out a bit it's pretty simple TBH.

Post Thanks / Like

Worst case as per PM, I also have an engine hoist, it works but you may get covered in oil using it (as James knows )
    No need to give up & no need for it to cost an arm & a leg

It was like jiz down my leg, and in your face

I prob have some used internal engines spares aswell he could have for it if he wants to rebuild the lump he has.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    It was like jiz down my leg, and in your face

I prob have some used internal engines spares aswell he could have for it if he wants to rebuild the lump he has.
    May need a piston/liner, depends what state the engine is in & how much oil it's lost, if the level is still halfway or so & the bottom end doesn't knock we're in business there. It may just be the headgasket, worst case it's liner & piston, prob easier to lift the beggar out & do it out of the car, I hate sealing the sump with it in the car, the begaar always leaks !

Post Thanks / Like

if its just a piston an liner gone then thats easy...just whip the head off and have a look.
    get hold of a good condition donor piston an liner,new liner seal,head gasket and bolts(not always needed..).

stick the old bearings in the donor conrod.....

should not cost you much and no engine out scenario...

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

if you want it doing cheap but a top job then give justin a call at automedics motorsports in stoke on 01782 744014 and tell him grant told you to call. been working with 5s for 15 years. top bloke.

Post Thanks / Like

i hope you're on commission....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MADFIVE View Post
    if you want it doing cheap but a top job then give justin a call at automedics motorsports in stoke on 01782 744014 and tell him grant told you to call. been working with 5s for 15 years. top bloke.
    Also bloody miles from the OP, he's down south near pompey

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi thanks for advice got Steave L poping over at some point to help me with it hopefully ive just blown the headgascet and its an easy fix.Have just spoke to a chap off here selling his engine so have that lined up worse case but he's abit farr away so fingers crosed for a cheep fix.

Il keep this thread updated for anyone who is intrested,you could start a poll did he blow a)headgascet,b)piston or c)liner or d) all .

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    i hope you're on commission....
    very funny. im just putting the word out for a good friend thats all. theres to many owners on here that think that they will get ripped off. but thats not the case.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi thanks for advice got Steave L poping over at some point to help me with it hopefully ive just blown the headgascet and its an easy fix.Have just spoke to a chap off here selling his engine so have that lined up worse case but he's abit farr away so fingers crosed for a cheep fix.

Il keep this thread updated for anyone who is intrested,you could start a poll did he blow a)headgascet,b)piston or c)liner or d) all .
    TBH, 95 RON, no rejetting to carb, T28 + 1.1 bar prob = piston picked up & piston & liner shot..

Post Thanks / Like

TBH no rejetting to carb, T28 + 1.1 bar prob = piston picked up & piston & liner shot..

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=doggydowg22;192922]Bit of maybo inside the oil cap defnetly foobarred mate,I can do a compression test on it.this will be the 3rd engine thats gone wrong in my hands this year.

my rover 200vi cam belt jumped fw months ago
    my birds rover 25 seized last week
    and now my r5 turbo engine has poped my only form of transport is now a pushbike up and down hill 14 mile round tripe grrrr8.

Does the above not tell you something.Sell the gt and get a honda mate

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

carb is jetted just not sure what spec thoe,it starts with no choke and avarages 22mpg so probably massive main jet,was running that boost when I first got it just not 95 ron

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Honda meh

Post Thanks / Like

carb is jetted just not sure what spec thoe,it starts with no choke and avarages 22mpg so probably massive main jet,was running that boost when I first got it just not 95 ron
    Once its back running i would say have the AFR's checked straight away, i bet that carbed isn't jetted correctly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markey Mark (BD) View Post
    Once its back running i would say have the AFR's checked straight away, i bet that carbed isn't jetted correctly
    Maybe another thing to look at while i'm down there.... Think I still have the drill bits to measure the jets somewhere (well James' drill bits )

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have my micro drill set from when I had r5 years ago,I have a new carb thats jetted for a bar that I was meant to fit today!

Im going to save up and buy a wideband,oil pressure guage,and inline oil filter once car back on road.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe another thing to look at while i'm down there.... Think I still have the drill bits to measure the jets somewhere (well James' drill bits )

Might neeed them soon once i sort my 5 out to run some more boost, and found a decent way to monitor det other than stethoscope
    Last edited by James5; 23-12-2010 at 23:57.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

what oil did you change to m8?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

As recomended on here 10w40 from gsf.

Post Thanks / Like

mayo on your oil filler cap could just be condensation. compression test should be your first check. maybe you left your dipstick loose and oil sprayed out, poss blocked breather from sump? dont condem it without testing it.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Was thinking of doing a compression test today,I would have to get the car up to running temp which would mean running the car for awhile is this wise?

The oil breather set up is just pipes from rocker cover and side of engine to an oil catch tank.

I dont think this is a blocked breather although this would be nice its defnetly .

Post Thanks / Like

Is there oil in the catch tank ?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I havnt looked,I emptied it a last wknd as it was full to the brim with water for some strange reason,I hadnt checked it in my 3 month of owndership so not sure how long it had been like that.

Post Thanks / Like

To get a result thats very accurate you should get the car to temp, but to test for a major fault, stone cold will be fine, its not a difference of a few psi your looking for, it'll probably be quite a difference on the faulty cylinder.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Would a blown headgscet shpow up on compression tester or will it only show blown rings/liners/pistons?

Would be nice if its just the head gascet and a simpe fix done by mr 5teve L

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just took of the drain bung on my oil catch tank and there was abit of water and sludgy goopy brown oil in the bottom that poor out.

Not sure how long its been there I did empty it a few weeks back using the sight pipe that sits an inch higher and loads of water came pooring out but didnt notice any oil goop but car was at running temp then.

Could this be headgascet,I have smelt the inside of my oil filler cap and this smells of burnt oil if that helps?

Post Thanks / Like

Just took of the drain bung on my oil catch tank and there was abit of water and sludgy goopy brown oil in the bottom that poor out.

Not sure how long its been there I did empty it a few weeks back using the sight pipe that sits an inch higher and loads of water came pooring out but didnt notice any oil goop but car was at running temp then.

Could this be headgascet,I have smelt the inside of my oil filler cap and this smells of burnt oil if that helps?
    There will be a little oily water as the vapours are oily & warm = condensation = water collecting in the metal catch tank usually.
    If there was alot of oil then thats a different story....
    We will know more tomorrow...

Post Thanks / Like

c'mon get that head off!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J$£5GTT View Post
    c'mon get that head off!!!!
    Was going to say isn't it off yet!

Only way going to know is by taking it apart, time for guessing is up lets see whats actually wrong

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post

Might neeed them soon once i sort my 5 out to run some more boost, and found a decent way to monitor det other than stethoscope
    Knock link? Electronic mechanics stethoscope,diy det cans, ks-3 knock analyser ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PHORMULA-KS-3-...-/180442712332

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_t...All-Categories

And even better

http://autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0353
    Last edited by rs250nut; 27-12-2010 at 22:36.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Big thanks to 5teave L came down this morning,done variouse checks turns out its the turbo thats blown.

Ther was oil on the turbo side of exhaust but not on the manifold side

Would rather the above then the headgasket tbh so now on the lookout for a cheep turbo that isn't smoking.