Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

rust problem

hi ive took my front wings off to have them painted and noticed on the passenger side where the run off pipe from battery tray sits behind the wing.it has rusted the bottom corner of the wheel arch! ive had new cills fitted they dont look so new on the pics as the jack has crumpled them abit on the lip.what could i do with this hole? what is best way to get around it as i dont want my car dropping in bits.thanks

here are some pics

Post Thanks / Like

Re: rust problem

think your best route of approach is to cut it out an fabricate/make up a new section,does not look very bad,then stick some paint on there an wax treatment of some kind.
    could be a lot worse than that,your lucky!

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

you've had your sills done???

looks like someones taken on the job, found the extra rot which would need more time and £££ to sort and thought...

feck it, i'll do what im getting paid for and leave the rest.. i've seen painters do it before

you need to cut the rest out, looks like you'll need some inner sill, outer and floor pan perhaps.. not that bad but a pain as you've had some work done already.. your new sills would have had that front section, they may have cut it off and binned it..

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

hi I had the cills fit and bumper points done and he put new inner cills in. i had the work done over a year ago and only noticed this now ive took the wings off the hole wasnt there there was a piece of metal covering it but i put my finger through it. yeh they havnt done it propperly really. should i start to sand and flappy disc around it to see how far the rust has gone?its in the wheel arch so could get a piece of metal sheet cut then welded in then rust treat and underseal it.do you think this will work? god why are these cars so bad!!!! if i would have known before i bought one how bad the rust could be i would have made sure i bought a clean one lol!!! an old mate turned up at my house in this one and i fell in love with it and took it off his hands. should have done research and tried to find one like that amazing silver phase 1 thats up for auction now! ive spent 2.5k on this and still getting no where!!u live and learn

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

they nearly all have rot somewhere, its just a case of what rot bothers you..

i'd get a angle grinder out with a twisted tipped wire wheel, that beats it was through the rust and soft metal, but to be honest you wanna be cutting it out till you hit good metal..

it needs cut to a point thats easy to weld for the guy doing the job, and he's most likely the best judge of what to grind/cut etc..

Post Thanks / Like

Mine was actually worse than that, from the outside it was still blue then when i pressed on it with my finger it just went through, had rotted from the inside

If you don't fancy doing it yourself take it to carl at CBS in Nelson, He did a top job on mine!

If you want his number PM me.

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The only real way to fix that is to cut all the rot out and fabricate new metal and have it welded in place. DO NOT use the jack on the sills, use it on the subframe or chassis leg.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

hi mate yes will sand it back and grind to the good metal dont want it coming back! i do normally jack it up on the chassis leg and subframe but we had an accident wheel fell off on backroad and couldnt get jack under so had to on the cills. the cills have been painted in a thin coat of stonechip would you underseal them with a thick coat as there behind the skirts! there already rusting in little patches where the paint has been scraped!

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The more stonechip/underseal the better!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

is there such a thing as a solid renault 5 shell??i spent 2.5 k on new cills rear bumper points and a full spray job and now ive taken my front wings found more rust on the front bumper points one is nearly hanging off and the front of the cills are rusty as u can see from the pics. i was gutted on saturday was thinking of getting rid of the car as ive spent 6 k in total and still spending and still not ready!!!then i took it for a sneaky blast up the lane and just cant sell it!!forgot how quick and fun these cars are! do i get rid or try and find a solid shell which hasnt had loadsa welding and new cills.just dont like the fact the car is not genuine and been cut up and welded etc are they not weaker when they have had cills done.i want to put this car on the odd track day dont want it falling apart!

Post Thanks / Like

Look through my project thread mate, you will see yours is not all bad

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=6285

Post Thanks / Like

if you have spent that much on your car i would not get rid of it, i know that some 1 on here could get hold of the rear bumper bracket and sills,not sure if he can get fronts tho could be worth asking heres a link

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthrea...ighlight=sills

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

is there any pics in that thread of rusty cils? i can only see the rust around thee window pics.thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyshaw49 View Post
    is there any pics in that thread of rusty cils? i can only see the rust around thee window pics.thanks
    im sure there are some amongst this lot.....

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/search.php?searchid=20204

Last edited by J$£5GTT; 31-01-2011 at 23:12.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

that wont let me open it