Post Thanks / Like

Product review section

As seen in a few other clubs they have a product review section where peeps can post a make of a product and let others know what its like or for others to add there thoughts of the such product... Eg tyres, pads, pistons, clutchs, you name it... It mite tidy some sections up and also make finding a product with an answer easier..

what you think?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Product review section

Post Thanks / Like

on a sort of related note, I wonder if it's possible to have a wiki within the site, it would be interesting for articles too. bet it wouldn't get abused

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

ooh, I like those ideas. Rob, your idea could work as a sub-section of the articles section once I've finnished writing it. Reviews would have to be submited to an admin, anything that allowed people to upload their own would inevitabely get overrun with duplicate reviews, ones that make no sence.

.. how about the option to leave a comment under an article, or product review. IE, there is an initial write up of a product and below it, in a you-tube fashon there is space for members to post individual comments, thoughts, reviews, etc.

Andy, a wiki as in member-updatable ? It might be a job in its self for someone to moderate the updates ? maybe just broadening the scope of the articles section might suffice.

Post Thanks / Like

I like both ideas a lot

Scoff, that seems like the most logical way of handling the product reviews, 1 review with a comments section. Rob? is that how it works on other sites? tbh ive never seen anything like that on other forums, do you have a link to any for us to have a look at?
    I also agree a wiki section would prob need a fair bit of moderating, dunno about a job in itself thou, between all the cm's we should be able to keep it under control

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    Andy, a wiki as in member-updatable ? It might be a job in its self for someone to moderate the updates ? maybe just broadening the scope of the articles section might suffice.
    yep, member updateable. I'm not sure how it works with wikipedia, but all changes are tracked and traceable. I suppose if it was technically possible you'd want to start in a small way and see how it worked out. If it did work, and didn't become a big slanging match I think it'd be awesome. It doesn't take many clicks in wikipedia to really appreciate how powerful it is.

eg, Volvo engine swap, anyone who's done it can add input, links to projects, links to suppliers web sites.

I can see the situation where someone asks as question, and rather than reply you update the wiki, then point to the changes as a reply. I dunno, I just think "doing a search" doesn't really work that well as finding the definitive answer is a real trawl.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

OK I think my problem is that I don't understand how wikipedia is updated. Example, if there exists a page already and somebody wants to correct an error or add information to it, how is that done ? or a better question is how could we best do it here ?

I think the cool thing about wikipedia is that the pages interconnet so well. A topic only needs a mention in a wiki page and there is a hyperlink off to that topic. Administrating that I think would be difficult if it were a manual thing. I think the root of the software would have to be clever enough to search out the relivent words and hyperlink them to corrisponding articles.

I could bring in the auto-interlinking into the articles section. Say your reading an article on a volvo conversion and it uses the words "engine mount", it would be nice if it automatically hyperlinked those words so that if you clicked them you'd be taken to an article on engine mounts. Each article submited could be submited with a list of catchment words so if these words existed in the right order within any other article then a link to the new article would be formed.

I think we really need to cram as much data as possible into the articles section if the wiki-like linking is to be worthwhile. People need to get busy writing articles

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea, and something I touched on a good while back on the old forum. Given my fair, unbiased, nature of reviewing products I'd like to volunteer for the mod' role

Post Thanks / Like

I've been wondering how to find out more about Wikis, and came upon the brilliant plan of looking on Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

points noted guys. I think the simplest all round thing for me to do is create the wikki like interlinking and you-tube like commenting in with the new article section.

I imagine there would need to be a few moderators (thanks mart) to strip out un-helpfull comments. It would be best if each article's comment section is left open to post on and then moderators can fish out the comments they don't like afterward rarther than having to create a moderation que which would start to get a bit complicated and time consuming. Comments should be of an informative nature, not things like "yeah, great article m8" which helps no one. If a moderator thinks a comment is worthy enough of inclusion in the article then they can do so, perhaps by clicking a button and the comment is automatically appended to the foot of the article text, with some header telling us when and who made the comments.

I have a good idea in my mind how I can make the wikki like interlinking work but I'll do some reading (thanks andy) before I start. I'm part way through Wizard still, so it'll be a week or 2 off yet

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is what I was doing for so many years with the articles. Adding links to threads as I read the boards or copying information into articles. Some were comments from people. See http://old.rtoc.co.uk/articles/artic...?ArticleID=128 for an example. I think that I added and changed that further since that version.

I also hyperlinked some articles together, but in a very basic way.

As far as members contributing you're all being optimistic at best. They won't is realistic.

On the old site we just couldn't get ANYONE to edit and update the many articles that were there. It was just me. Rich stuck a few in there that were written by member and submitted but didn't edit them, I practically re-wrote some that were submitted to me to improve them as much as I could. Rich also wrote some himself.

I kept asking people to help, but nada, zilch.

Same actually as with the Contacts.

The info remained in the threads. I tried to sift them as I went and collate the gems into articles, but it takes too much time.

This club lacks someone / people with journalistic talent, or at lest they've not shown themselves and stated the will to use it for the club.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

------
    As far as members contributing you're all being optimistic at best. They won't is realistic.
    ------

as pesimistic as I am in day to day life I know that being optimistic is the only way you're ever going to get anywhere with anything that's worth while. I think a new articles section is worth while. and besides, if people don't submit info, I'll kick they're arse.

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Fortunately there's plenty in the old site to copy over.