Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: clio 172 (time for some boost)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@CodeRedMotorsports View Post
    I'd quite like a phase 1 172 in silver with no sunroof please.....alloy bonnets???
    Not in blue?

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Heh, yep one in blue too.....!

Post Thanks / Like

Dude you brought a White shell?

Well the Clio did proud today, ran on the dyno at the same time were 2 other sc clios (common as muck down this way) one was a ktec converted one, drive in drive out jobby. That pulled 266 and looking at his graph had lots more area under the line than mine or my mates one that were diy built. Bombers made 245 same as it does everytime and mine pulled 278.6bhp, it runs a little more boost than the others so guessing that's why it makes more power, im very happy with that for a top line figure so I think is next is get my hand in my pocket and pay for a full mapping session rather than my favours top line map that's on there, I won't gain much if any peak but I've got lots to gain bottom end and that should make it a quicker car on track
    Last edited by Adey aka Ewok; 19-02-2011 at 14:33.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adey aka Ewok View Post

Well the Clio did proud today, ran on the dyno at the same time were 2 other sc clios (common as muck down this way) one was a ktec converted one, drive in drive out jobby. That pulled 266 and looking at his graph had lots more area under the line than mine or my mates one that were diy built. Bombers made 245 same as it does everytime and mine pulled 278.6bhp, it runs a little more boost than the others so guessing that's why it makes more power, im very happy with that for a top line figure so I think is next is get my hand in my pocket and pay for a full mapping session rather than my favours top line map that's on there, I won't gain much if any peak but I've got lots to gain bottom end and that should make it a quicker car on track

I can't believe it. Really, I can't. I'm in complete shock

Post Thanks / Like

Ok just for you bill, lol

Post Thanks / Like

Result, well done

Post Thanks / Like

Ok just for you bill, lol

Thanks mate

Well done on the figures as well

Post Thanks / Like

Good darts

What's the torque like?

Post Thanks / Like

Just clipping 220lbft, Its odd how it delivers it's power, just feels like a fast atmo engine with a bit of punch rather than a boosted kick. Will see how long stock compression can take the boost

Post Thanks / Like

Should make for a nice track weapon

Can I blag a pax lap if you're at Mallory?

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed martin

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe.... Which means the blue Clio goes

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Smashing that! These f4 engines seem to do the business! One thing though, whats happened to the torque? Thats nearly 60ftlb down?

Post Thanks / Like

60 ft down on what? That's about normal for a supercharged one, remember it doesnt have boost in the same way a turbo engine does so no huge kick of torque as it would have in a turbo engine

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

awesome work m8 great result aswell!

Post Thanks / Like

60 ft down on what? That's about normal for a supercharged one, remember it doesnt have boost in the same way a turbo engine does so no huge kick of torque as it would have in a turbo engine
    Yeah, i was going to add that every turbo'd car iv'e owned the torque has been equal or similar to the power within a limited rev range. What i have noticed about supercharged engines is the longer spread of torque but max torque lower down the revs. I imagine to make good power from a supercharged engine it has to be reved quite high?

Post Thanks / Like

Good show...

To make good power in any engine state revs is needed in a fashion, but thing with the charger still depends on the compressor size etc, you might find it cant flow that well at 8k rpm so wont make the power high up...

Post Thanks / Like

This will be awesome on track.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob@Backyardracing View Post
    Good show...

To make good power in any engine state revs is needed in a fashion, but thing with the charger still depends on the compressor size etc, you might find it cant flow that well at 8k rpm so wont make the power high up...
    Not sure how it will cope high up the revs if I was to raise the limit, it's a c30-94 rotrex charger, think there good for 400bhp? I run it with a restrictor to limit the boost on it at the mo so it's very responsive as it's pulley size is designed to give its full speed and boost

Post Thanks / Like

Adey pm me any details you have on the rotrex stuff and if you get any super rates on them - can get trade I guess but they look expensive

Seems for the 1st time in my life I will be building / running a sc powered engine and can get the eaton stuff for next to nothing but the rotrex would be an easier conversion and from what I am told a better unit. So suspect the engine will be a miss match of other parts to lower the compression and whatever else I can steal, got a M112 for free off an Aston Martin but also the M62 for beer tokens avaiable but not actually looked at spec yet to match to the 1.8 16v zetec lump.

Got some vag 1.8 20v pistons so they are getting mated to the ford rods and arp the bolts (shot peen the original rods while there) current cr is 10:1

It's nice and tempting to throw a load of cash at it but with 534kg (wet and loaded up) do not need big numbers this year to have some fun. So plan is pmt

Look out for some whine nd

Good results so far adey, have to take me out for a cheeky lap

Post Thanks / Like

ok so not much going on with the clio at the mo, havinging lots of fun trying to blow her up while out running them v8 m3s but still not let go, i have picked up a gearbox whine but thats still working fine plus i have a spare box waiting to go in if the worst should happen. gave her a little service and spruce up recently, dropped in a new filter and oil plus gearbox oil and generally gave her a once over. im need to replace the gasket from the mani to the decat pipe and get some new front disks but other than that shes still going strong for a ruff hack about.

any way some gay stuff coming up, a mate of mine does alot of that fancy photo stuff so asked to do a few pics of my car and its sister car that was built at the same time, here they are

had the works van this week so have given the car a proper clean (by my standards anyway) so all 4 wheels off for a quick dust of a rattle can and some fresh decals, guna have to put my hand in my pocket soon tho and get some body work done, been 11 years old the rear arches are starting to show signs of rust, under the sideskirts aint bad tho so nothing to major, plus years of carpark dings and running very agressive brake pads is killing any good paint thats left. dont get me wrong its not hanging but its starting to show its age, now do i put some money aside and have a full respray and get the wheels refurbed at the same time or do i get another shell to drop the lump into?

Post Thanks / Like

The cars look sick!

Nice pics too. I thought there were from my mate at first...very similar names
    www.danielfreemanphotography.co.uk

Post Thanks / Like

cheers bud

right well where have we got to? hmm, did some drag racing at shakey and the stock fuel pump wiring found a fault causing me to cut out half way down the strip, quick bodge done to get her running and home. i then wired in a relay so that the omex ecu now controls the pump. the weekend after that happened i took her to combe and it totaly destroyed the gearbox in less than 3 laps now i knew it wasnt going to last long as it was already whining so had a backup gearbox in the garage so not all bad just a few lazy bank holiday days doing a gearbox swap. as the stock ecu/electrics that were still there were starting to fail i decided to strip the engine bay loom out so that there was less to cause a problem in the future, this does mean none of my dash works but i plan to put a stand alone dash unit in there very soon. a few pics of the damage

engine out

one busted up box

back in

and ready to rock again

all seems good so far, took a few tries to get the gear selector in the right place, seen a mod to move the stick further back too that i might try. ive also taken delivery of some proper camber shims for the rear to replace my washers and hopefully take the camber down from -4 to -2 ish. i did plan on retro fitting some topmounts from a vaux nova to give me alot of adjustability up front tho i couldnt find a nova in the scrappy quick enough to cut up so they will have to wait for now, i did machine them to fit the kw coilovers while they were out ready to use tho

aim is to get it drivable and useable for nat day and if i start going mad with everything i want to do now it defo wont be ready.

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Made a big job of that mate, you coulda dropped the box out the bottom save pulling the full engine out!

Sounds like its been a good conversion tho, the F4R seems to love boost

Post Thanks / Like

Easier for me than lying down on the gravel. Seems to like it, 7200rpm banging most days with .7 bar of boost, no sign of extra oil usage or blow by yet

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Must time to sell LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Adey, that's a top job on the box! Have you thought about using some of the strengthening plates from Italy/Spain on another box?

It always seems like the casing gives way, then the gears partially disengage and strip.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woznaldo View Post
    Adey, that's a top job on the box! Have you thought about using some of the strengthening plates from Italy/Spain on another box?

It always seems like the casing gives way, then the gears partially disengage and strip.

I think that's what happened with my last Renault gearbox. It whined, it got louder then it died.

But the JB3 never seems to break cases, just gears.

Glenn has been doing some research after again destroying another fresh gearbox last week. Some of the gears in the JC5 are stronger looking, only some versions of JC5 though. So, maybe the JC5 case is weaker than the older JB3.

Post Thanks / Like

i think in the long run ill have to go the same route as you scoff, more for reliabilty than the ability to run more power, this is the 3rd box this car has had in my ownership 2nd since doing the sc conversion

Post Thanks / Like

ok so with the impending rtoc nat day ive decided to try and sort the suspension on my car a little on a budget, kw v1s up front, the rears are to soft so a set of gaz adjustables are on there way. i removed my pikey camber washers from the rear and fitted some proper shims and up front the bits that the camber bolt runs in was worn out, ive taken them out and fitted some eibach camber bolts in there place. as it stands i have monster front camber now so need it setting up. anyone have any sugestions for how much camber and toe to run? the car is a bit quick so stability would need to be considered but i need a ruff figure to tell the place to set it too. all help apriciated, cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Try about 2.5 deg neg camber and 1-2mm toe out up front.
    Depending how soft the rear is no more than 2 deg neg rear camber.
    Half decent set up on road Tyres.
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@CodeRedMotorsports View Post
    Try about 2.5 deg neg camber and 1-2mm toe out up front.
    Depending how soft the rear is no more than 2 deg neg rear camber.
    Half decent set up on road Tyres.
    Matt
    was hoping youd pop online cheers buddy, rear should be alot stiffer once i get the new rear shocks

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to play with tyre pressures, take a bottle of tipp-ex with you to a track next time, run a little bit onto the sidewall of the tyre and onto the first block of tyre tread.
    You can work out the right pressures from how much wears off...... I'll email you a photo in a min and can you share it on here, don't want people moaning about being left out now do we....? Hehehe!
    Matt.

Post Thanks / Like

ill stick it on here later on, im guessing im looking to wear it off tho whole block but not off the sidewall?

Post Thanks / Like

cheers for the info bud, got it set up today, drives so sweet now not had chance to give it proper stick but defo holds a corner well.

the car was trying to kill me on the way to get it set tho. turns out i had 5 degs of neggy with 25mm of toe out ech side! not set to -2.3 with 1mm of toe out each side

next on the list for this weekend is to attack the soundeadning with the heatgun and fix the handbrake. after that it should be ready to hit mallory in a very pikey lashed together fashion

Post Thanks / Like

ill stick it on here later on, im guessing im looking to wear it off tho whole block but not off the sidewall?
    You can wear about 1/3 of the paint off at the front and 1/4 at the rear....then 3psi either way to fine tune how you like it.

Glad to have been of service on the set up.
    Matt@coderedmotorsports.

Post Thanks / Like

cheers for the info bud, got it set up today, drives so sweet now not had chance to give it proper stick but defo holds a corner well.

the car was trying to kill me on the way to get it set tho. turns out i had 5 degs of neggy with 25mm of toe out ech side! not set to -2.3 with 1mm of toe out each side

next on the list for this weekend is to attack the soundeadning with the heatgun and fix the handbrake. after that it should be ready to hit mallory in a very pikey lashed together fashion
    CR spec, the way forward

Post Thanks / Like

woops

time for some bodgerneering, tho it did another 30 hard laps like that and a gps 150mph pull on the way home without letting go. will rig up a temp brace for now untill i decide what to do with it, either a total redesign or the same again but with a different material.

the car defo proved herself well for me, bar that no major faults all day, even flat out giving it the big one the water temp never went over 82 degs pulled very strongly all day.

the only other thing i need to look at is the fuel setup, coming out of gerrards with a quarter of a tank of fuel id get some starvation so i think i might chuck in small swirl tank witch will let me run a larger pump aswell, will give me some scope for the future

Post Thanks / Like

Adey - you was flying - really loved the way yours pulled and sounded, looked very quick indeed.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers buddy, everyone mentioned the sound it's the only thing I can't hear in the car, no whine not very much exhaust noise either. Hope someone got some video footage

Post Thanks / Like

what are those brackets made of? They look suspiciously like tool plate...

Post Thanks / Like

Tool plate? There Ali tho I'm unsure of the grade. Have done almost 10k before breaking tho

Post Thanks / Like

Tool plate? There Ali tho I'm unsure of the grade. Have done almost 10k before breaking tho
    tool plate is ally, it's for making jigs etc, stable, but brittle as fook. Don't put it anywhere near a car.

http://www.metalfast.co.uk/hsp.htm

Post Thanks / Like

woops

time for some bodgerneering, tho it did another 30 hard laps like that and a gps 150mph pull on the way home without letting go. will rig up a temp brace for now untill i decide what to do with it, either a total redesign or the same again but with a different material.

the car defo proved herself well for me, bar that no major faults all day, even flat out giving it the big one the water temp never went over 82 degs pulled very strongly all day.

the only other thing i need to look at is the fuel setup, coming out of gerrards with a quarter of a tank of fuel id get some starvation so i think i might chuck in small swirl tank witch will let me run a larger pump aswell, will give me some scope for the future
    most impressive, , wish I had asked for a passenger ride earlier now LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

cheers buddy

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Adey,

nice to meet up with ya over national day

I am currently purchasing a 2002 172 cup for the track & may well require your help once purchased and stripped out if thats ok ? Looking to upgrade the engine & may even add a supercharger saying that though i seen yours on the track ... couldnt believe how rapid your car is mate!

All the best

Gibbo

Post Thanks / Like

cheers buddy, yeah thats cool good base for a track toy, any questions ask away and ill help if i can

Post Thanks / Like

Feel free to get a template knocked up of those SC brackets me old fruit