Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

clio 172 (time for some boost)

this is a quick bit to show people the latest clio build, this is my 3rd clio 172, first been a near stock 172 cup, then a striped ph1 on jenveys throttle bodies and catcams and this one, another early silver ph1 172.

this ones having something a little different, i loved the way the clio went on track and even more so with the last one putting out a fair bit over stock power so this one is having yet some more

how she was when i picked her up

after a few weeks when the kw coilovers were fitted, along with the inside stripped out. also thrown into the mix at the same time was a decat pipe, itg filter and a ktec stealth system. made the car handle a well and the engine sounded a little better, well untill a high pitched squeel aroze from the engine, lucky for me i caught the cam belt tentioner before it let go, so at 88k the belts were changed on my drive by a mate of mine, came down and did it at cost for me + macdonalds http://www.519automotive.co.uk/

how she rocked after some work

did a few basic things, ph 2 rear lights, cup spoiler, tow strap and painted the wheels, also fitted a bucket seat and dropped the steering rack lower, fitted a recon gearbox as mine had lost reverse. since the pics ive picked up a few bits and changed a few things, im at max camber adjustment up front before the tyre hits on the coilover and i spaced the rear stub axels and gave them some camber,+15mm each side, has made the car feel very safe in the corners but still feels like it needs more camber up front. and the supercharger kit

should see about 250bhp but will update as i go, should be on in the next few weeks
    Last edited by Adey aka Ewok; 29-11-2010 at 19:51.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: clio 172 (time for some boost)

Nice one Adey, nice to see some one DIY'ing a SC clio instead of just dropping the car off along with a cheque

I'll assume this is KTEC's kit as I know Paul doesn't sell his as I DIY kit.

Who you gonna have map it?

It's a shame you had the cam belts done as maybe you could of slipped in some fruity cams to work with the SC kit

Please tell me you've had the keyway'd F4RT pulley inserted on the crank when Danny did your belts?

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good Adey, I'll be keeping an eye on progress. I'd like to know what it produces once the SC's fitted and your opinion having had TB's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SP33DY View Post
    Nice one Adey, nice to see some one DIY'ing a SC clio instead of just dropping the car off along with a cheque

I'll assume this is KTEC's kit as I know Paul doesn't sell his as I DIY kit.

Who you gonna have map it?

It's a shame you had the cam belts done as maybe you could of slipped in some fruity cams to work with the SC kit

Please tell me you've had the keyway'd F4RT pulley inserted on the crank when Danny did your belts?

nope and nope, this is a kit that wasnt in the loop for very long, the problem with the rs tuning kit seems to be the use of the auto tentioner, this kit has been tried on a few cars and not one has slipped a bottom pully, going to be mapped localy at a place called mech repairs tho it will have a very good base map to start with. to be fair im looking to keep stock clutch and gearbox for now tho if i do fancy more beans at a later date im actually thinking of putting itbs on aswell, plus theres always the option of a little more boost tho the high comp ratio stops me going to far without opening up the engine. im still waiting on delivery of my intercooler and then im on the hunt for some meggy 225 injectors, at less than £50 each new i cant grumble to much

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J8TRO View Post
    Looks good Adey, I'll be keeping an eye on progress. I'd like to know what it produces once the SC's fitted and your opinion having had TB's
    ive driven both and i love the noise bodies make and the drive they give, the sc car just gives constant pull, odd to describe as it doesnt really let up, kinda like the clio having a 3 ltr engine in instead of a 2

Post Thanks / Like

Can't fault your logic mate, not convinced its the use of the Aux tensioner causing the actual pulley to slip. Think it's more to do with the extra rotational torque that the SC puts on the lower crank pulley.

Kit looks good and Jon was pretty happy with his once he had it mapped properly

Post Thanks / Like

His was the development mule for it wasn't it? If so it's his one I've been in

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah his was the test bed, he did have a few issues with it but most of it was down to the mapping.

IIRC he did have one mechanical issue when the bracket broke but I'm not sure which part and he's since been banned from CS so I'm not sure how best to contact him.

Before he was banned he was claiming 249bhp at the wheels which TBH on stock internals is a little far fetched

*Edit- I suppose the bracket failure could of been down to over tensioning the belt? or even over tightening the the alternator bolts, as that looks like the weakest area.
    Last edited by SP33DY; 29-11-2010 at 22:45.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I know that part, was cured in later setups with an extra brace at the top of the alt adjuster. Really looking forward to getting it on. I think his made 258 fly so dnt think it would be 249 wheels, tho that was at .5 bar, might of ran more boost? Rs tuning used to push there's around 300bhp

Post Thanks / Like

my mate had his sc conversion done by rs, slipped pulled twice, so he bought their demo one, and that did it after a week

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I heard of Danny's mishap, at least he's getting it sorted now

The F4R crank has a slot for a keyway pulley, unfortunatley due to the free floating nature of the cam pulley set up it isn't locked in. The F4RT's do have them locked in and I think you would be mental not to fit one for the small price it will cost. I'm suprised SidewaysDanny hasn't recomended this himself?

Post Thanks / Like

He has, tho I can't see in my head how the meggy pulley can work without having the crank keyed to suit? I haven't see the pulley yet, it will be done in time tho

Post Thanks / Like

Spoke to him, Clio crank is keyed just the Clio pully isn't, dnt cost much so will be on order next week

Post Thanks / Like

Oh well while you've got the cam belt off you might as well drop in some cams

Post Thanks / Like

If some came up cheap I might consider it tho dnt think I need them

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

there is a key way in the 172 crank and pulley, I wonder if you could just buy a bit of key steel from cromwell tools and make a key? Save buying a F4R bottom pulley?

Post Thanks / Like

Really? I've got loads of key steel here at work, dnt spose uve got a pic or sizes do you?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh the joys of being a metal basher

I didnt have that luxury when I did mine, and I didnt think to take a photo of the megane pulley either
    Last edited by SP33DY; 01-12-2010 at 14:16.

Post Thanks / Like

Nah not really a metal basher, just have access to a fair bit and I'm pikey and dnt like paying for stuff, if I can do it for free I will

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

just out of interest is the idle pulley wheel tensioner ,above the main crank pulley standard on the f4 set up?

and would it fit on the f7,it seems to share the same water pump judging by the pictures,im guessing the crank cover plate is the same also

would be a bonus if it did, that would add a bit of tension to my belt set up
    part number anyone?

great car by the way,nice to see something stealth and different on the a clio

Post Thanks / Like

the onein the pics is part of the kit, it uses a ford idler pully on a custom bracket, ill take a look under the bonet of the clio tomorrow and see what the stock setup is like and let you know

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

do well

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adey aka Ewok View Post
    Really? I've got loads of key steel here at work, dnt spose uve got a pic or sizes do you?
    I've got all the bits loose, if i could find my vernier I'd happily measure it for you. Are you in a hurry, might be able to do it at the weekend?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post
    there is a key way in the 172 crank and pulley, I wonder if you could just buy a bit of key steel from cromwell tools and make a key? Save buying a F4R bottom pulley?
    Do Reno not sell the key?? I used to make loads of keys from keyed steel for petrol compressors. Depending which way the grain ranl some would last and others would shear.

Unless the key is just rectangular or square then that would be easy enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post
    I've got all the bits loose, if i could find my vernier I'd happily measure it for you. Are you in a hurry, might be able to do it at the weekend?
    No rush atall bud

Post Thanks / Like

not much has happened yet, still waiting on some parts to turn up, intercooler was ordered 2 weeks ago but hasnt appeared belts now on order, injectors have been sourced but am waiting on the gents details so i can pay for them and the belt and traction fluid are on there way. hopefully should have everything i need in the next week to then start the install. also got a ported rs lower inlet on its way with a set of ptfe gaskets to help it flow a little better, not sure if it makes much difference on a boosted application but slightly better breathing has to have some gains?

Post Thanks / Like

I had a look round Jons SC Clio yesterday as he turned up to a rolling road day at RS tuning.

Looked pretty tidy, not sure about the traction fluid bottle behind the off side head lamp which makes changing bulbs impossible with out stripping stuff off.

Think it made 236 at the fly.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

t. and the supercharger kit should see about 250bhp but will update as i go, should be on in the next few weeks
    How much was this little piece of kit if you don't mind me asking?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SP33DY View Post
    I had a look round Jons SC Clio yesterday as he turned up to a rolling road day at RS tuning.

Looked pretty tidy, not sure about the traction fluid bottle behind the off side head lamp which makes changing bulbs impossible with out stripping stuff off.

Think it made 236 at the fly.
    not bad figures atall, any idea what boost that was at? silver car yeah? well over 100k on it? bottle can go where ever you like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Warren View Post
    How much was this little piece of kit if you don't mind me asking?
    retail for the charger unit is between 1400-1600 i think

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

so if somebody takes the plate dimesions/ makes a template, and sources the rotrex else where...

how much are those rotrex units new ??

Post Thanks / Like

That was the price for the rotrex unit

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

That was the price for the rotrex unit

think i will stick with my eaton

Post Thanks / Like

i looked into them but i got this lot new and a price i couldnt refuse

Post Thanks / Like

Any one help me out with the part number for the meggy 225 bottom pully please?

Post Thanks / Like

not much going on with this at the mo, snow is killing deliveries of bits and knowing my luck they will be lost. ordered a meggy 225 bottom pully from renault so thats sorted, still waiting on the rs inlet and ptfe gaskets and the injectors, add them to the belts fluid and sensors that are sat at the workshop i cant get too and it equals me not having my supercharger fitted over crimbo only thing thats actually got to my door is this

ling long intercooler, should do the job ok so thats one mor3e lhing off the list. kinda a blessing as we took on a last minute job at work and i managed to nearly chop off the end of my middle finger, aparently lucky not to of lost it tho it was hanging off and the bone is broke so not really in a position to be getting oily and grubby any way and i dnt think i could of got far with one hand.

plans in the pipe line are to pick up another block, crank and pistons so i can build up a lower comp engine with forged rods in, i will be using stock pistons with a slight shave to lower the comp a tiny bit so that should keep me entertained for the first few months of next year. still undecided what to do head wise, the ph1 172 head has the bigest exhaust ports so say and i have one on my current engine but looking at a 197 head the inlets seem HUGE so tempted to maybe fit a 197 head to a lower comp (10-1 10.5-1 ish) 172 bottom end, decisions decisions

Post Thanks / Like

I've only seen one car with a head converted to the 197, think it was a 182 from either new Zealand or Australia, made good power but said it was a right arse to do but not impossible, obviously!

It would be different and worth doing along as you get more bhp/£ compared to what's achievable with a 'normal' head.

Bad news on the finger, hope it doesn't hold up progess too much

Post Thanks / Like

From memory the lad from OZ only fitted the inlet manifold from a 197 and the ball ache was enlarging the inlet ports to match.

As for simply fitting a 197 head, it's not as straight forward as it seems, the f4r 738 has the water pump running from the aux belt, the f4r 830 has it running off the cambelt.

Post Thanks / Like

i think all i need to do do is add an idler pully to the head

Post Thanks / Like

We did that with Andy's 225/182 hybrid and it massively over tensioned the belt.

You'd really need to sit down and take the measurements of both engines to work out a good solution.

However after Scoff blew 500+bhp through a OE inlet manifold I wouldn't be to concerned about swapping it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh not to good then, will take a better look when I get to the point of building, just ideas at the mo

Post Thanks / Like

not much gone on the past week, ported rs lower inlet turned up, so i fitted that on tho till im back in work i cant match the upper part, doesnt look to hard, the lower section has just been taken out to the gasket, suprising how different the stock one was to the ported item

vs

meggy 225 injectors also turned up and a friend picked up a meggy 225 keyed pully for me from renault, borrowed the cambelt tools and thats about as far as i got, cant do too much else without the other sc bits so i got bored and painted my wing mirrors and front diamond.

need to decide what to do with the wheels now? just forked out for 4 new tyres on her as the 4deg rear camber wears them a little, might drop that back to about 3, also waiting on some front spacers so i can dial alittle more in, im using camber bolts at the mo and the tyre is almost on the spring seat so using spacers will give me a wider track and more adjustment, id use adjustable top mounts but im being cheap and havent found any come up second hand
    Last edited by Adey aka Ewok; 31-12-2010 at 09:28.

Post Thanks / Like

sorted
    Last edited by Adey aka Ewok; 31-12-2010 at 09:32.

Post Thanks / Like

why are mictures so big
    because they're 1.7Mb...

try resizing to 800x600

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good Adey, would be better with a vag tsi conversion mind

DG

Post Thanks / Like

keep it renault tho id love to do an sr20det front engine rwd conversion into a clio.

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

i will be using stock pistons with a slight shave to lower the comp a tiny bit so that should keep me entertained for the first few months of next year.
    Do you need a set?

Post Thanks / Like

ive got enough pistons here, unless you mean a set shaving down slightly?

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

ive got enough pistons here, unless you mean a set shaving down slightly?
    Nah, just meant i've got the engine in bits so if you needed a set of pre machined ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone got a pic of there 172/182 crank? The meggy pully doesn't fit, it's completely different as the key is cast for a slot on keyway the the Clio crank has a drop in keyway, not sure if mines an oddball as everyone says the meggy pully slots on