Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

cab set up and jet sizes!

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

just wondered what jet sizes i should be using with my engine set up once its all back together, 285 cam, full stainless exhaust and bigger down pipe, stainless tubular manifold, front mount intercooler, lightened and balanced flywheel, k-tec pistons and liners, uprated head gasket and head bolts, uprated fuel pump and t2/t25 turbo running 18psi ish? i put some bigger jets in it when i 1st got the car but cant remember what size they were, any advise would be good cheers!

ps is there any R5 owners on here from cumbria or am i on my own?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: cab set up and jet sizes!

no way of saying , you would need it hooked up to a wideband to see what its fueling at currently.. certaintly a carb with standard jets would struggle to fuel for 18psi.

here was my thread, set up for 18psi but on a standard carb

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=17611

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by djinuk View Post
    no way of saying , you would need it hooked up to a wideband to see what its fueling at currently.. certaintly a carb with standard jets would struggle to fuel for 18psi.

here was my thread, set up for 18psi but on a standard carb

https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=17611
    agree, its hard to say what jets are needed as every car is different.

Firstly do you have a standard carb on your car or is it one of those 'grp A' carbs?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markey Mark (BD) View Post
    agree, its hard to say what jets are needed as every car is different.

Firstly do you have a standard carb on your car or is it one of those 'grp A' carbs?
    its a standard carb but possibly 1.3 main jet, this worked fine with my 285 cam and standard turbo running 12/14 psi, i guess i should get it all back together and just try it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bennyboy View Post

its a standard carb but possibly 1.3 main jet, this worked fine with my 285 cam and standard turbo running 12/14 psi, i guess i should get it all back together and just try it
    Can i ask how you knew it worked well with that spec? Was there any other modified jets in the carb mate?

Don't just try it you need to see what the AFR's are like, you can't tell that just by feeling how it is.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

i had it set up at my mates garage so i'll plug it back in to his machine once it all back together, i just presumed if there wasnt enough fuel when on song it would just cough n bang a bit? or am i just being a hill bill???

Post Thanks / Like

You don't stick it on a CO machine to check fueling, you need an AFR gauge and take it for a drive to see what fueling it like.

You'll know when its wrong, it won't pop and bang it'll ruin the engine instead.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

You don't stick it on a CO machine to check fueling, you need an AFR gauge and take it for a drive to see what fueling it like.

You'll know when its wrong, it won't pop and bang it'll ruin the engine instead.
    thats maybe why it started rattling then? how do i go about setting that up? if i get a AFR gauge is it something i can do ? i have a mate with a rolling road would it be easyier to do it on there than a drive on the road?

Post Thanks / Like

Rattling may be det or pinking, thats not good.

You can do it on a rolling road or on road, its something you can do yourself but i would only reccomend it if you know what to do to the carb.
    Setting it up will come down to changing jet sizes to work with that you want from the carb, its a fine art to know what to change and to what size and get it right.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Rattling may be det or pinking, thats not good.

You can do it on a rolling road or on road, its something you can do yourself but i would only reccomend it if you know what to do to the carb.
    Setting it up will come down to changing jet sizes to work with that you want from the carb, its a fine art to know what to change and to what size and get it right.
    it was a big end bearing, cranks currently getting reground, i'll get it all back together and get intouch with my mate with the rolling road hes quite clued up, if hes unsure am i ok to get back in touch for some advise ? or is it the sort of thing you need to see to sort out?

Post Thanks / Like

my advice would be to pay somebody in here £50 or so to spend half a day with you setting it up... The cash it could cost you if you get it wrong, plus the cash it will save you if its fueling right and not just chucking it outa the eghaust.. its well worth it.. plus obviously better fueling = more power

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

my advice would be to pay somebody in here £50 or so to spend half a day with you setting it up... The cash it could cost you if you get it wrong, plus the cash it will save you if its fueling right and not just chucking it outa the eghaust.. its well worth it.. plus obviously better fueling = more power
    your probably right but from what i can gather most of you live miles away?

Post Thanks / Like

where abouts are you based ?

The clubs very large bud, there will be some body in the know in your area im sure.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

where abouts are you based ?

The clubs very large bud, there will be some body in the know in your area im sure.
    kendal in cumbria!

Post Thanks / Like

hmm, im sure somebody shortly will be able to give an idea of whom to approach ..

failing that if you have a good mechanical know how you could buy a wideband kit and have a shot yourself..

all the tools to learn are on here.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

cheers for all your advice ! will be intouch.

Post Thanks / Like

no worries dude.. check the articles section at the top, then go to tuning you will find plenty of info

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bennyboy View Post

it was a big end bearing, cranks currently getting reground, i'll get it all back together and get intouch with my mate with the rolling road hes quite clued up, if hes unsure am i ok to get back in touch for some advise ? or is it the sort of thing you need to see to sort out?
    We can do best on here, if you gave us AFR readings sure we could help you get it roughly right.
    More than welcome to ask for more advice mate, thats what we're here for.