Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The New Backyard D16 Project

from memory they do more twin scroll and high pressure ratio stuff, no idea how you work out which one you want though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    What are the advantages? I've been seeing and hearing more and more about these. Holset have been around for ever!

I've been reading up alot about them the last few months, although there's so many different types you need to be careful which one you choose. The Skyline boys have been using them for a while now as they've latched onto the fact that HKS and GReddy have been doing them over on turbo kits for the last 10 years. £5k for an 800bhp+ turbo kit and a Holset will do it for a few hundred quid.

Most of the ones i've seen are twin scroll and the compressor wheels are massivley efficient at high boost levels, although if you're after power you'd want at least a 60mm inducer on the compressor wheel on a HX35 frame for anything around a 2.0l sized engine, there's also the older frame sizes H1C/H1E which is exactly the same as the HX35 but has a range of different sized compressor wheels, varying from a 54mm inducer and 58mm. People are rating the 60mm wheel at 600bhp. Obvisously now people have latched onto the idea it's not just a case of buying any old turbo and slapping it onto your car. You will need a custom manifold. Quite a few people have been using them on the SXOC and they're moaing that they're very laggy, although everyone of them is using a 4 into 1 manifold which is a total waste of time as they're not dividing the gas flow to pulse the turbine wheel.

I actually bought one myself as I was quite intrigued by them, although the exhaust housing i've got on mine was colossal. It probably wouldn't have worked on anything smaller than a 3.0l so I sourced a 12cm casing from the States which should arrive next week.

There's another problem with them, there's very little information about them, compressor maps ect. Holset themselves won't even comment on them because they're only in the market for deisel engines. They are genuinely not interested in the modified car market.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    I've been reading up alot about them the last few months, although there's so many different types you need to be careful which one you choose. The Skyline boys have been using them for a while now as they've latched onto the fact that HKS and GReddy have been doing them over on turbo kits for the last 10 years. £5k for an 800bhp+ turbo kit and a Holset will do it for a few hundred quid.

Most of the ones i've seen are twin scroll and the compressor wheels are massivley efficient at high boost levels, although if you're after power you'd want at least a 60mm inducer on the compressor wheel on a HX35 frame for anything around a 2.0l sized engine, there's also the older frame sizes H1C/H1E which is exactly the same as the HX35 but has a range of different sized compressor wheels, varying from a 54mm inducer and 58mm. People are rating the 60mm wheel at 600bhp. Obvisously now people have latched onto the idea it's not just a case of buying any old turbo and slapping it onto your car. You will need a custom manifold. Quite a few people have been using them on the SXOC and they're moaing that they're very laggy, although everyone of them is using a 4 into 1 manifold which is a total waste of time as they're not dividing the gas flow to pulse the turbine wheel.

I actually bought one myself as I was quite intrigued by them, although the exhaust housing i've got on mine was colossal. It probably wouldn't have worked on anything smaller than a 3.0l so I sourced a 12cm casing from the States which should arrive next week.

There's another problem with them, there's very little information about them, compressor maps ect. Holset themselves won't even comment on them because they're only in the market for deisel engines. They are genuinely not interested in the modified car market.
    roughly what I said

Post Thanks / Like

Basically, but I took so long typing it out I didn't see what you wrote

Post Thanks / Like

And after a late night getting high doing the worse thing ever the car now looks like this with its new black bits, boot roof bonnet, turned out pretty good even tho it looks dodgy using half a gazebo to cover car and being to idle to remove underplate tape (the plate will cover it blahhhh )
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

The cars painted now, ready for some stickers which we will get on once back. Its of to Hauser racing for its roll cage tuesday... Once back time to build build build.... Looks like a taxi ...

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Small Update... rest of the car is coming on, engine still in bits awaiting cam being made.. 6 weeks to go...

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good...is it T45?

Post Thanks / Like

Love that rollcage Rob Hombrew and a mandrel bender? Fancy doing 1 in the Clio

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Love that rollcage Rob Hombrew and a mandrel bender? Fancy doing 1 in the Clio
    Lol, nearly... i was going to do my own but didnt want to get pulled by a scrutineer and his ultra sonic tester at events, couldnt make my mind up what to do, so i got Hauser Racing to sort it..

Jord CDS t45..

Post Thanks / Like

Update..

Well 4 weeks to go and things not the way i like. The cam im getting made up by comp isnt done, trouble with the core so am told.. so im playing it safe and just built the motor back up with stock cam, using 75mm ycp vitara pistons (unlike last build with 75.5+rebore) so will rattle like hell but should be fine, really need to sort a larger breather system out tho. Engines back in but not running, still a good amount of small jobs to do.. Need to get car to a weight bridge and poss add some weight too... im going to leave the car pretty much how it was last year for the first two rounds then do a swift head and cam swap + 24.5 tyres and use the rtoc day to map the car...

You will be able to view our points from rounds on here for the peeps interested..

http://www.japdragseries.co.uk/2010racers.php
    Last edited by Rob@Backyardracing; 21-02-2010 at 17:31.

Post Thanks / Like

getting there mate , soon be done for march great effort

Post Thanks / Like

Done.........

Well sort of.. The finger came out this week and pretty much hammed the civic build to get the car ready for first event in two weeks.. I havnt given it a proper road test due to no tax or insurance anymore, just MOT.. Ive managed to get the car going on an old map, needed a few tweeks.. Going to write a good safe base one ready for first days testing at pod. Also i managed to tow the car to a weight bridge today and it comes in at 1000kg with me in it.. so we 39kg short so ill start to add ballast over the week where i can best.. Not to happy about the weight as i really thought it would be over or there about on limit, which means the old silver car was actualy lighter than i thought, so dont expect this car to be fast because it wont, specaily that i havnt tweeked the motor from the old one, and running a safer map plus the extra weight.. hay hoo..

Heres some pics, im yet to sort the graphics out, plus be nice to get some skinnys but the BYR account is empty .... Anyway roll on summer and boost....

Sorry for my Pic heavy post....

Post Thanks / Like

Good work lads, looking forward to seeing it go at the pod.

Post Thanks / Like

get your cage out for the lads..like the pmt door panel mod..

good luck with the car,hope you rock out some super fast times!!!..

Post Thanks / Like

Think it will be a good few months till we start to pick some decent times up again, failing that be next year now, least we got a good base sorted now to work from....

Post Thanks / Like

well done to you all ,such great effort , i will show my support by coming to few meetings this season

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome work mate, cant wait to see it in action

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Rob,

Did they let you have a weight break for running a tiny engine?

Are you getting excited for this weekend?

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

They have dropped the weight from 1089 -1039kg, so pleased they did move it a bit, but im currently adding around 50kg in weight to meet that.. Had the graphics on today, will sort a pic later... id like to see the field to be broken up with weight vs CC..
    Last edited by Rob@Backyardracing; 16-03-2010 at 21:03.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, the car became fully road legal today, so we was able to do some testing tonight as i was worried about leaving the car till weekend and test at pod on the saturday (with poss rain). Only did around 10miles, all seems well, pulled a far bit of timing out and boost back down to 25psi, rev limit 7k wayyy to low with the 35r but wanted to keep it safe to at least run it in a little.. Its a little dirty here and there but we unable log AFR at the moment to sort it nicly.. heres a few pics of the stickers too...

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

whats car putting out cant go back and read the 200 odd posts!

Post Thanks / Like

Only ever had it on a dyno once, and picked the numbers 399Whp out of the hat , how true this is i dont know,but best trap speed (@ POD) todate is 132mph and thats the best reflection of a cars power. This was with the older shell and i guess a total weight with me in it was around 1000kg

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

wow thats fast what was 1/4 mile time at terminal speed?

Post Thanks / Like

Fastests ET to date, 10.95@130mph

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

oh my god thats superbike teritory

Post Thanks / Like

Round 1

Well what a poor weekend but overall came away not to bad in the end. We planned to go for the weekend so am able to at least get some steady testing on saturday and some much needed data logs. I got up at 4am to make the gates for 8.30 and was just hoping the rain would have some breaks in the day as i really didnt want to go in to quilfying without testing, but wasnt to be... It rained off..

Sunday came, weather was good and was hoping to get 1 run in before quili but wasnt allowed, the car went fine through Scrutineer even with 50kg of gym weights bolted behind the front bumper, wheel archs, and footwell..

So stright in to quili without testing great ... First run wasnt to bad, had a miss fire, and was way to rich. ran 11.8@118mph..

Second run wasnt good, wastegate pipe came off (stupid me), hit boost cut, plus i got disqualified for being under weight by 2kg anyway, must remember to keep my fuel toped up .

Third run i let the car roll to far in and then over the box with LC/anti lag bouncing away so gave me a red light and another disquali, . I just drove off tho as i was logging and wanted to make sure miss fire had gone, seemed ok.

First elimination was agaisnt Adam/TDI car, this run went ok, wasnt running the boost we wanted tho, ran 11.4@122 and took win. Result more points... Next race was agaist Rich FTO in a semi final so was in for some cash now .

But this wasnt going to happen, i discovered a fault which i new would come back to haunt us or caurse damage so i dropped out at that and gave him the by pass.

Hopefully get some jobs sorted for May and 2nd round.

Just like to say great effert from Ant and Dean that makes the BYR team....

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Gutted you couldn't carry on but still its comin along nicely, what was the fault that stopped play?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Os8472 View Post
    Gutted you couldn't carry on but still its comin along nicely, what was the fault that stopped play?
    I had to do a small repair/machine to the head a couple weeks ago on where the fire ring sits, new it wouldnt last long, ive been currently looking for a head since then, it was either a case of go or dont at time...

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob@Backyardracing View Post
    I had to do a small repair/machine to the head a couple weeks ago on where the fire ring sits, new it wouldnt last long, ive been currently looking for a head since then, it was either a case of go or dont at time...

Ah not good then, best you start trawling though the local scrappies then

Post Thanks / Like

Found this on you tube... my red light qualify run... so slow too mind you was only the 3rd time the car had been driven...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23hj9-ZU760

I now have got a new head, should have our cam for rtoc day by the sounds of things i hope.. just have see if we manage to make the next round yet..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob@Backyardracing View Post
    Found this on you tube... my red light qualify run... so slow too mind you was only the 3rd time the car had been driven...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23hj9-ZU760

I now have got a new head, should have our cam for rtoc day by the sounds of things i hope.. just have see if we manage to make the next round yet..
    Where has this cam come from rob? Is its ground to your spec?

Post Thanks / Like

Well i dont want to say much anymore , not to be an arse or anything, just dont want to disclose details of the tune anymore due to some recent competition that will be against us soon in hks...

Post Thanks / Like

Someone else with a d16?

Post Thanks / Like

Yep... pm

Post Thanks / Like

Just noticed in ur profile, u have a 4 bar map sensor??? is that anywhere near possible?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    Just noticed in ur profile, u have a 4 bar map sensor??? is that anywhere near possible?
    Yes, we run over 2 bar boost so need the 4 bar map sensor. 1 neg, 3 pos..

Post Thanks / Like

ah i c, should of realised that lol gettin late.

Post Thanks / Like

Well 3 weeks to go till PTM show (our 2nd round), made some small progress and got a new head that im yet to lap valves, pressure test etc this week at work. Also we finaly bit the bullet for a billet, the GT35 has seen better days, even made scoff spit is coffee out when i turned with the turbine wheel one evening.. So time to move on to a proper built turbo than ebay cheapo ones so been on the blower this week to over the pond and ordered a new unit. Just hope it will turn up intime so i dont have to do a backyard racing Mod to our 35r...

Cheers to TD Autowerkes for sorting me out and slaping a discount on it for us, looking forward to seeing there car out later this year....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA2AVuyOaXw

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed you were running a roller core on the latest pictures... Have you melted the wheel?

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

oh, he melted sommat alright

Post Thanks / Like

Has Rob got pictures?

I see it happen all the time on GReddy turbo's. It's commercial spec wheels, they can't cope with the heat. Although, i've got very little experience with ebay turbo's...

It's a simple reason why

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the turbo was going ok, i thought it was a roller bearing so ran a restictor, on our run that cracked a sleeve we spat half the sleeve out over the turbine wheel which damaged the blades.. i didnt bother to do much for the first round and just ran it... noticed we had more lag, 7.2k rpm was when we managed to reach full boost, anything before, fook all.. i noticed the turbo started to get more play on the thrust, and the comp wheel just about to score, so i stripped it.. to find it wasnt a Roller bearing and the turbine wheel was really bad also... the whole thing was cock ****.. anyway was unsure what to do for this event if to get new or ebay or rebuild old unit. Couldnt find a match for the bearing as such (maybe you could), im very able to make a whole new bearing at work no probs at all, but im still stuck with a **** wheel.. just thought blow it... buy a new one that im able to run and (with few changes) on the B motor i plan to built later in year...

Post Thanks / Like

Adam if i get chance over weekend ill take some pics of whats left...

Post Thanks / Like

If you can, Rob, show me the bearing housing itself. It looks like a 6 bolt exhaust housing and the oil feed itself gives the impression it's a rollerbearing. I suppose you'll know if it's a journal core though.

If you've had engine parts go, that turbo is scrap, the comp side will be good though, i'd keep that. Unless the comp wheel has hit the comp housing.

... There may be a chance you could re-use the turbine side, but i'd have to see the turbine wheel and there may be some grinding involved...

There's more to consider but anything is possible.

Incase you didn't already know, rollerbearings come with the so called ''thrust'' movement from factory, so it's easy to check. The main reason they do is because they don't use a thrust bearing, they rely on the carttridge setup.

Post Thanks / Like

Have any of you lot looked at borg warner turbos, they seem to be priced well and are rebuild-able. What is this new turbo you have Rob Precision? I have been having a look at this

http://www.agpturbo.com/product.php?...cat=333&page=1

Maybe a bit big, im yet to see a map
    Last edited by rs250nut; 17-04-2010 at 07:54.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok few pics for you Adam, not the best... feel free to laugh . really hope new unit will arrive for next event...

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be honest, that fooled me for a rollerbearing core. Stick the oil feed design next to a T series and that's pretty much the main difference, oil feed wise, on a roller core.

It's easy to see now that something has gone trough the turbine wheel, especially with the glazing on the ends of the fins (the wheel has hit the outer casing). You did a good job of destroying the thrust bearing too

With reference to the grinder before, I think that wheel is too far gone, it'd be far too laggy if you tried to bodge it

Impressive though, I must admit
    Last edited by Adam L; 19-04-2010 at 22:07.

Post Thanks / Like

Well if my new turbo doesnt arrive, ill bodge this back to together and run it, i dont have a choice, as long as lasts 3 runs it will do me.. ill need to re drill the oil holes tho i think on that thrust ....