Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New stuff for 2011

Rob, well yes, something along those lines. It looks laggy enough to be 67mm, or whatever the garrett equiv is.

Jon, definately not a PT. It's a garrett GT35 turbine, core and cover.

Update: Glenn and kev were over tonight so I pottered on with the clutch while they gabbed and drunk coffee. The new wilwood 0.75 cylinder works fine. It was too late to start the motor but the pedal feels 100%

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    Rob, well yes, something along those lines. It looks laggy enough to be 67mm, or whatever the garrett equiv is.

Jon, definately not a PT. It's a garrett GT35 turbine, core and cover.

Update: Glenn and kev were over tonight so I pottered on with the clutch while they gabbed and drunk coffee. The new wilwood 0.75 cylinder works fine. It was too late to start the motor but the pedal feels 100%
    someone say coffee be there soon lol

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

I pushed the tune a bit further, mechanically all is fine but the new 50mm turbosmart gate is still much too small to control boost. I didn't expect that at all, I guess I have a lot more exhaust gas than I anticipated. It'll creep from 15psi to 25psi by 6500rpm. I havn't tested further than that yet, I'm just hoping it levels out at something sensible. I should have made the room for twin 44's, or maybe I'll just have to add another 50mm to be sure. More money

Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain

Post Thanks / Like

I pushed the tune a bit further, mechanically all is fine but the new 50mm turbosmart gate is still much too small to control boost. I didn't expect that at all, I guess I have a lot more exhaust gas than I anticipated. It'll creep from 15psi to 25psi by 6500rpm. I havn't tested further than that yet, I'm just hoping it levels out at something sensible. I should have made the room for twin 44's, or maybe I'll just have to add another 50mm to be sure. More money
    3 words

'Research and development'

and as Clee states - it's a right pain int' arse.

Post Thanks / Like

Twin 44s aint mega bucks. Gates I'm using are about 300 for the pair.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob@Backyardracing View Post
    Yeah i have been pondering on my twin scroll setup. Two gates or two tubes into one? Its going to be difficult to sepearte my new manifold so i guess two gates could be the way forward?

Scoff i guess if your eventually going to run a twin scroll then i guess having two gates wont be a problem.

Which ones are you using Rob?

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

What type ? "fukyu corporation of china" or something branded ? I paid a load more than that for the single 50mm thats on now. You know my feelings about cheap wastegates

Post Thanks / Like

I'm yet to order mine but demon do some gates and they look ok, a good copy of tail. Also obx do some cheap ones.. Scoff and you know my feelings they work!! Its only a valve and spring, what can go wrong.. The gates am talking about aint as cheap as xs etc or any of that stuff..

Post Thanks / Like

I'm yet to order mine but demon do some gates and they look ok, a good copy of tail. Also obx do some cheap ones.. Scoff and you know my feelings they work!! Its only a valve and spring, what can go wrong.. The gates am talking about aint as cheap as xs etc or any of that stuff..
    Me and Robbie run Demon gates no real issues yet apart from the **** paper gaskets they come with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Logg View Post
    Me and Robbie run Demon gates no real issues yet apart from the **** paper gaskets they come with.
    Which gasket is this? Explain more

Post Thanks / Like

Which gasket is this? Explain more
    They come with this green paper/cardboard gaskets which are crap and fall apart. I tried making one a of my frosties box for Mallory but HTC failed that. so bought some of these. Which I havent tested yet getting mega hot..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Post Thanks / Like

I can check the 'make', but a mate of mine had one stick open. No boost on a record run ruined his year... He's now on Tial stuff.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Rob, yes, only a valve and a seat, so they could stick shut ! There's no way I'm risking my engine because I want to save a couple hundered quid on wastegates. And you've spent more money then me on your core engine, so I think you're a fruit loop if you risk using cheap gates

It's one thing running a gate at a bar, or 1.5 bar. When you're talking 2.5 bar and 930°C EGT's I'd want to know that I had top quality bits looking after my engine.

Post Thanks / Like

Rob, yes, only a valve and a seat, so they could stick shut ! There's no way I'm risking my engine because I want to save a couple hundered quid on a wastegates.
    have you bypassed your 'overboost switch'?

Post Thanks / Like

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/demonmotors...sub=1730627016 these are the ones i was going to use... For me to buy two tial gates is out of the question.. no way will i fork out for them, if i had too it would wipe any chance of me seeing a track is year.. I fully understand what you guys are saying and yes so far about £5,000 has gone just on this engine and set up and we still not at track, around 6K would prob be the finishing cost.. If i wasnt so close to having it done i would have sacked the idea off along time ago and taken up a new hobbie.. With the engineering background ive got im sure i can fully inspect the gates before use, even modifi if i need too.. if anyone wants to give me some cash thats cool

Logg them gaskest are crap, we had same one with our D motor, lasted two mins, i just made sure flange faces are flat and ran without...

Post Thanks / Like

So are the V band style wastegates better then the bolt on ones? sorry about asking question on your thread mate.

Post Thanks / Like

and as andy says, dont you have a boost cut on the ecu? we sure do

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

and as andy says, dont you have a boost cut on the ecu? we sure do
    Yes, a choice of a timed overboost or a dead cut. That's a problem though if you plan to run to the limit of your map sensor.

Forget I mentioned wastegates mate.

Post Thanks / Like

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/demonmotors...sub=1730627016 these are the ones i was going to use... For me to buy two tial gates is out of the question.. no way will i fork out for them, if i had too it would wipe any chance of me seeing a track is year.. I fully understand what you guys are saying and yes so far about £5,000 has gone just on this engine and set up and we still not at track, around 6K would prob be the finishing cost.. If i wasnt so close to having it done i would have sacked the idea off along time ago and taken up a new hobbie.. With the engineering background ive got im sure i can fully inspect the gates before use, even modifi if i need too.. if anyone wants to give me some cash thats cool

Logg them gaskest are crap, we had same one with our D motor, lasted two mins, i just made sure flange faces are flat and ran without...
    is that all you spent pal ive spent that on mine this year son quality counts

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hi 5 View Post
    is that all you spent pal ive spent that on mine this year son quality counts
    Well yeah nealy 5k is what has gone on it this year alone, could argue that the car stands around 12k.. I like to race on a budget not at costs...

Anyway back to Scoffs program... no more spams...

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Spent a bit more time on the tune today. Wastegate is creeping to 2 bar, guess I over estimated what a 50mm gate could do. I've run out of injector already, which I didn't expect, so new injector dynamics's on their way. Hoping they get here sharpish so I can finish the map.

It feels very scary now in 4th gear on the road with the LSD fitted. It sort of pulls you about at unmentionable speeds. I get way too scared at 7000rpm, just when it's comming to life. I think it should pull straight as a die with the slicks though. Just have to suck it and see

Post Thanks / Like

Spent a bit more time on the tune today. Wastegate is creeping to 2 bar, guess I over estimated what a 50mm gate could do. I've run out of injector already, which I didn't expect, so new injector dynamics's on their way. Hoping they get here sharpish so I can finish the map.

It feels very scary now in 4th gear on the road with the LSD fitted. It sort of pulls you about at unmentionable speeds. I get way too scared at 7000rpm, just when it's comming to life. I think it should pull straight as a die with the slicks though. Just have to suck it and see
    What size injectors are you on at the moment? 1200CC? I.D make some nice stuff their 1600-2000cc are supposed to be the bollocks, I saw a video of a stock Integra type r with a set of these fitted and it idled like stock, amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

when are you running? I need to make the effort...

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah jon, I wish they were that big, they're only 870's now

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    when are you running? I need to make the effort...
    Hopefully July 1st, RTOC Day Andy. Its going to depend on these injectors arriving and me having the time to get it done and dusted

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rs250nut View Post
    What size injectors are you on at the moment? 1200CC? I.D make some nice stuff their 1600-2000cc are supposed to be the bollocks, I saw a video of a stock Integra type r with a set of these fitted and it idled like stock, amazing.
    Ah, well I've seen that video too and while I know that the new ID's are much more stable at low duty the video doesn't show you the air:fuel he's at, so for all we know he might be idling mid 11's - not such a low duty cycle anymore

Post Thanks / Like

Nah jon, I wish they were that big, they're only 870's now
    Wow they must be working their tits off, super high fuel pressure?

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rs250nut View Post
    Wow they must be working their tits off, super high fuel pressure?
    Sort of Jon, they were at about 95% last year @ 3 bar rail. I don't mind running them to the limit, it's only a drag car, the injectors are only flat out for a matter of seconds so they're never going to get hot.

I've maxed them out good and propper now. Early data says the engine is breathing between 5 and 10% better than before above 7000rpm. The problem is that fuel pressure increases never make as much difference as you might think. I'm at 3.3 bar this year and upping that to 4 bar say won't give me much more than +5%, so it was time to go bigger. I should have known really, I just havn't been putting much thought or effort in of late.

Post Thanks / Like

which ID.s have you opted for then?

i forget, are you running twin fuel pumps, or single?

look like you got your sums right on the new manifolds anyway

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Tidgy little ID1000 Rob. They are still too small really but they'll get me through the year. 1600 would have been the way to go if they had of been available. Hopefully they'll be available next year when I plan to upgrade the turbo too. I don't have the time or spare money to be worrying about a new turbo this year I'll just push the GT35r to the limit this year instead.

I also don't think I could get away with any more lag than I have now, so again it's a reason not to upgrade yet. The gearbox is still notchy and slow - I'll need a quick spool to make up for the slow gear changes I think.

Next year, when I have more free time (or atleast that is the plan!) I will think of ways to speed the synchro's up and allow flat shift, so then I can go 67mm on the turbo and I won't have to worry about lag

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

The engine's out again Turns out I've killed the diff when I broke another drive shaft on sunday. When the shaft broke the car lurched to the right, so something must have gone crunch at that point. It's locked both wheels together, its nearly impossible to turn a corner, and lots of play in the diff too which wasn't there before. I'll strip it tomorrow, and I'm hoping I can buy spare gears or whatever I need from quaife.

On top of that I have to buy and install a 2nd wastegate because the single 50mm isn't even close to big enough. I couldn't control boost in 1st and 2nd gear and it was more of a problem than I'd expected.

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

sounds like you need some stronger shafts then mate, did you compare the VAG shaft with the 16v hub?

Post Thanks / Like

The engine's out again Turns out I've killed the diff when I broke another drive shaft on sunday. When the shaft broke the car lurched to the right, so something must have gone crunch at that point. It's locked both wheels together, its nearly impossible to turn a corner, and lots of play in the diff too which wasn't there before. I'll strip it tomorrow, and I'm hoping I can buy spare gears or whatever I need from quaife.

On top of that I have to buy and install a 2nd wastegate because the single 50mm isn't even close to big enough. I couldn't control boost in 1st and 2nd gear and it was more of a problem than I'd expected.
    Gutted for you Chris! If this were me, I'd be in a dark pissed off place. But knowing you......

Just the next stage of development.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

keeps me entertained andy. and skint

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like it'll be out of action for a while. I can't even get in to the gearbox to examine the diff because one of the driveshaft flanges has welded itself into the diff so I can't split the casing. I tried everything to remove it, no chance, so flange and diff are probably write off and I'll have to find a machine shop to mill the remaining portion of shaft out of the gearbox before I can think about fitting a new one.

Post Thanks / Like

You don't do things by halves do you ?

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clee View Post

You don't do things by halves do you ?
    It never rains but it pours ! What started as a simple driveshaft swap turns in to a nightmare.

Just been over to Yorkshire with the gearbox, Glenn is friendly with a company that can machine hardened steel, fingers crossed they can mill/cut the duff bits out. There's a bit too much work in that gearbox to go starting again. This week I'm faced with having to buy a new diff (£700 or there about) and another wastegate (£400) plus the other odds and ends. In times like this you wonder if it's all worthwhile ?

Post Thanks / Like

There all becoming expensive hobbies this drag racing lark... I dont no what it is but we just end up cracking on and doing it.. I dont dare tell anyone what ive spent on our car, my life at the moment revolves around the car, i bring my wage home see what i can buy and what im left with i live off. Im on beans on toast and pasta every day.. We might aswell be crack heads.. I dont know how id feel if iwe stuffed the motor up in first couple of outings.. I think id defo call it day and cut my loss.. I dont mind breaking shafts or boxs as ive not invested in that area yet and i know its going to happen..

Im sure you will crack on with it mate in time, if you need a machine shop pop by us, im sure we can help you out...

Post Thanks / Like

It never rains but it pours ! What started as a simple driveshaft swap turns in to a nightmare.

Just been over to Yorkshire with the gearbox, Glenn is friendly with a company that can machine hardened steel, fingers crossed they can mill/cut the duff bits out. There's a bit too much work in that gearbox to go starting again. This week I'm faced with having to buy a new diff (£700 or there about) and another wastegate (£400) plus the other odds and ends. In times like this you wonder if it's all worthwhile ?
    It's your hobbie and you enjoy it ,like rob said I've lost count how much I've spent on my five ,but I've met some good friends over the years after spending loads on my friend ,all hobbies are expensive.

See you soon mate hope you sort it ,if you need anything machining or ally give us a shout.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah thats it, for some reason you just have to crack on. It's just the expense of trying to make it competative that's starting to way on me. I keep thinking of all the other luxuries I could have in life, but then I remember I'd be bored stiff

Post Thanks / Like

I know how you feel! Im not running the Mini again this year. Broke the gearbox at the pod day repaired it and then broke it again Sunday! It's very disheartening!

Post Thanks / Like

There all becoming expensive hobbies this drag racing lark... I dont no what it is but we just end up cracking on and doing it.. I dont dare tell anyone what ive spent on our car, my life at the moment revolves around the car, i bring my wage home see what i can buy and what im left with i live off. Im on beans on toast and pasta every day.. We might aswell be crack heads.. I dont know how id feel if iwe stuffed the motor up in first couple of outings.. I think id defo call it day and cut my loss.. I dont mind breaking shafts or boxs as ive not invested in that area yet and i know its going to happen..

Im sure you will crack on with it mate in time, if you need a machine shop pop by us, im sure we can help you out...

Nail on the head mate, that just decribed me to a tee only I have a wedding to pay for aswell.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I know how you feel! Im not running the Mini again this year. Broke the gearbox at the pod day repaired it and then broke it again Sunday! It's very disheartening!
    Thats bad luck mate. Its times like that you either have to spend some strong money on fancy gears and hope that they never break or you give up pushing the boundaries. Neither idea seems all that apealing probably. So then, there's the "unmentionable" option of putting a modern powerplant and gearbox in But I know you won't want to do that.

Post Thanks / Like

My reasoning usually is... i dont drink, i dont smoke, so this is my bad habit

You guys should also take in to account how much you've gained/learned from your car.
    I became a mechanic because of my car and its given me the life i have now, for this reason my car could never break enough for me to get rid of it. I suppose it is difficult to justify funding an unknown when pushing boundaries tho. Were all glad you do

Post Thanks / Like

It's getting put into the garage for a bit then it will be back, when Ive looked at other options for the box. There are quite a few different gearsets to choose from but nothing really specific

Im not really into the modern engine in a Mini. it wouldn't be the same without an A series and a stupid gearbox design

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    It's getting put into the garage for a bit then it will be back, when Ive looked at other options for the box. There are quite a few different gearsets to choose from but nothing really specific

Im not really into the modern engine in a Mini. it wouldn't be the same without an A series and a stupid gearbox design
    Hi Ron - Nice min btw - have you considered taking your broken bits to an engineer to see if they can make the bit that has broken stronger? And I assume that you are a 1/4 mile nut. The gear set you put in as you where saying is good to up to about 200bhp??? unless you're chasing a 1/4 mile time I would have thought 150-180 would be mental in your mini?

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Well after the engineering shop admitted defeat on the seized stub axle in the gearbox this week, glenn picked it up (it's a place local to him) and he managed to carefully cut the dead shaft out with some thin cutting discs, winner. Not bad for a painter

I stripped it today, diff innards are actually OK but the stub axle has welded itself in to the diff casing. Poor design and not enough lube at that point. I guess it over-spun and welded when the shaft on the other side failed. Even with it stripped and on the bench with heat on it I couldn't beat the shaft out. It's propper mullered Maybe the diff will work again in the future if I find a way of drilling the naff bit out.

I got bored of trying to rescue it so I've built it up with a standard diff for now and got it back in the car thisevening.

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well after the engineering shop admitted defeat on the seized stub axle in the gearbox this week, glenn picked it up (it's a place local to him) and he managed to carefully cut the dead shaft out with some thin cutting discs, winner. Not bad for a painter

I stripped it today, diff innards are actually OK but the stub axle has welded itself in to the diff casing. Poor design and not enough lube at that point. I guess it over-spun and welded when the shaft on the other side failed. Even with it stripped and on the bench with heat on it I couldn't beat the shaft out. It's propper mullered Maybe the diff will work again in the future if I find a way of drilling the naff bit out.

I got bored of trying to rescue it so I've built it up with a standard diff for now and got it back in the car thisevening.

That's bad news about the diff casing but good news you are going to be back up and running Saw your car @ pod going up the strip feck me was like an caged animal being released awesome sound and very strange seeing a 5 doing what yours was doing keep up the top work always.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks james It shouldn't sound as unweildy as it did, it should have had a lot more control in the early gears. When it's all working right it is supposed to look effortless