Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

New stuff for 2011

It doesn't happen very often, but half an hour ago I was bored. To pass the time I decided to lift some of the progress pictures off my phone and post them here incase anyone gives a crap about what I've been up to for the last month

For those that don't know, I own a 16v turbo R5 that I use to compete in whatever drag race events I can con my way into.

Engine wise I'm happy for now. This year it was making about 550hp from a garrett GT35/40R and quite a lot of boost. That was being fed through an old 02J 5 speed VW gearbox, hugely more capable than the original Renault gearbox but still I was able to smash gears on a couple of occasions. It also had the slowest synchro's at high RPM I've ever come across, so bad that I could shift quicker in my old citroen xantia diesel, so it had to go.

After much reading I decided to press on with yet another gearbox conversion. This time I've built a 6 speed Audi 02M (found in the Audi TT, RS4, Golf R32, etc). They're hugely stronger, have better bearings, better casing, bigger diff, bigger clutch, bigger output shafts, bigger inner CV's and most importantly they have synchromesh's that can shift gear above 7500rpm !

I built a gearbox from a mix of ratios and diff to suit my racing and set about installing it.

First up, the old 02J before I pulled it out:

I ordered a new 240mm billet flywheel from the USA, unwrapped it and set about welding it up. I milled off the weld to form a blank:

Then I drilled the renault crank stud pattern to fit it to my engine:

I also bought a new SPEC drag clutch from the USA rated to over 600lb/ft, but forgot to take a picture of it.

Gearbox installed and a new solid gearbox-to-chassis rail mount manufactured and fitted:

Since the new gearbox is 6 speed I had to make some new gear linkages. I couldn't be bothered removing the old 5 speed cable shifter out of the car so I modified the 5 speed cables to accept some 8mm rose joints and then made it all fit onto the 6 speed mechanism:

Rear engine mount was made and the lot was bolted down again:

Because the new gearbox is so large compared with the old one it ment that nothing else would fit back into the bay. I needed to make a new exhaust manifold and downpipe to clear the bigger casing. This gave me opertunity to improve on the manifold design. I won't bore you with the details, but it should work a lot better:

I also decided to chop up the front of the subframe and move the cross member down 120mm or so to mount the radiator lower down. This should give me adequate clearance for the new inlet manifold and larger plenum.

You may also notice I've chopped about with the bulkhead a bit, to give me more room for the new exhaust manifold. I was sick of not being able to get spanners onto stuff at the back of the engine, so that needless "boob" in the bulkhead got, er, mastected.

And thats all for now

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New stuff for 2011

Chris, I don't know what to say but that is bloody amazing, loving watching this project go through the changes and then hearing and seeing the results on the strip.

Keep up the good work think you have deserved a

Post Thanks / Like

Superb work as always

Post Thanks / Like

looks amazing hope this can get you into the 9's

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work mister, how far over have you had to move the strut tops? I take it thats clearance for the wheels. I see your mate has just gone 10.14 in his Tigra. Esc should be good next year.

Post Thanks / Like

this is looking realy good bud well done

Post Thanks / Like

Top work Scoff!! I love it when people take on projects like this and throw time and ingenuity in larger chunks than cash (some stuff is just easier/cheaper to buy).

I was wondering how the O2J was handling the abuse , hope the O2M serves you better. Clutch sounds like it might be up to the job! The flywheel looks sweet too.

I don't know if you have already but, do you measure any vibrations of the gearbox after you've fitted it, to check the alinement is true and not throwing any bizarre harmonics into the mix? It would of course require some kind of analysis equipment which would be common place in aviation but, probably not in the automotive world.

I suppose checking the internal condition of the O2J would give a pretty good indication of haw things are holding up?

I'm waffling now.......

Top work!

Post Thanks / Like

Top work Chris, think I'll be stripping mine down in the next couple of weeks. Just waiting for a few parts, need a hydraulic clutch pedal and suitable pipework, then the timing and aux kit.

Then hopefully next year with the stronger box I'll get it on the strip and lose my virginity

Are those vvt delete cams that I spy there?

Post Thanks / Like

pure brilliace

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to do this to mine.

But I'm absolutely ******* useless at everything. Best left to 'The Scoff'.

Nice work Scoff - Like Coll' says - pure brilliance.

Post Thanks / Like

top work chief

more info about the flywheel would be nice

Post Thanks / Like

Storm a 9sec pass once you sort that box..

Post Thanks / Like

I like how he makes it sound oh so simple " found a box .made it fit then made everything else fit around it "

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome as always mate, hope it all works as planned

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that is truly amazing mate!! Wish I had half your skills

Post Thanks / Like

Oh i was wondering how to do that

Post Thanks / Like

Cracking work mate, looking forward to seeing it run again next year and even poss running with you lot in the ESC.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks amazing carnt wait to see it run!

Post Thanks / Like

oh, new exhaust mani looks good, no divided t4 then, or might you still chop it up if the sums work?

some speedy work too that for such a big conversion, would take a mortal a year that lot

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good man!

Post Thanks / Like

Utter brilliance!! Puts me to shame on even the simpler things i need to do!! Hope it all goes to plan Scoff, and lets see 600bhp on the motorscope rollers next year!!

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woznaldo View Post
    Top work Scoff!! I love it when people take on projects like this and throw time and ingenuity in larger chunks than cash (some stuff is just easier/cheaper to buy).

I was wondering how the O2J was handling the abuse , hope the O2M serves you better. Clutch sounds like it might be up to the job! The flywheel looks sweet too.

I don't know if you have already but, do you measure any vibrations of the gearbox after you've fitted it, to check the alinement is true and not throwing any bizarre harmonics into the mix? It would of course require some kind of analysis equipment which would be common place in aviation but, probably not in the automotive world.

I suppose checking the internal condition of the O2J would give a pretty good indication of haw things are holding up?

I'm waffling now.......

Top work!
    Honestly, no idea buddy, you're thinking well ahead of me I did spend a lot of time with alignment first time round though. This time I'm re-using all the old VAG clobber, the new 6 speed bolted right on so it should be no different to before I hope.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rs250nut View Post
    Nice work mister, how far over have you had to move the strut tops? I take it thats clearance for the wheels. I see your mate has just gone 10.14 in his Tigra. Esc should be good next year.
    Nah, nothing to do with clearance, it's a camber thing.

I was at pod again today with glenn and specky. Glenn testing his new tyres (working OK, but track was poor at the end of the day by the time we'd ironed out the new settings). Specky managed a new PB, 10.04 @ 143

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SP33DY View Post
    Are those vvt delete cams that I spy there?
    Nope, just an old exhaust pulley I did in the lathe to fit on the inlet cam. I had to do some other fangled stuff to block the de-phaser oil supply, but otherwise pretty straight forward. I was getting play in the de-phaser, making it hard to time up.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by i l k e r View Post
    top work chief

more info about the flywheel would be nice
    What did you need to know ? It's just a VAG steel flywheel from SPEC in the USA. I figured steel would be easier to machine (the old cast one was a pain in the ass to do and then had to enlist the help of Ashy to lighten it) and should be a bit safer at high rpm's I hope.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob@Backyardracing View Post
    oh, new exhaust mani looks good, no divided t4 then, or might you still chop it up if the sums work?

some speedy work too that for such a big conversion, would take a mortal a year that lot
    Re manifold, well, I thought about that and planned for the future this time round. I broke the rules a bit and stacked complementing cylinders vertically such that I could, in the future, cut the flange off, slip a divider in and weld on a twin-scroll flange. I'm not sure I'm going to have the RPM to go spooling those big 1.0+ a/r twin-scrolls any time soon, but at least I have that option.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MATT C Ringworm Tuning View Post
    lets see 600bhp on the motorscope rollers next year!!
    Ah well, remember matt, that day I had my old 1800cc, standard cammed motor in. I think if I'd have gone back this year with the 2L setup I'd have seen that 600 BSHP and then some (Bull Sh1t horse power). I'd be happy with a real 600hp at the start of next year. I should be able to squeze that on the current turbo. Then I have a bigger compressor in the pipeline that should really get things cooking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    Ah well, remember matt, that day I had my old 1800cc, standard cammed motor in. I think if I'd have gone back this year with the 2L setup I'd have seen that 600 BSHP and then some (Bull Sh1t horse power). I'd be happy with a real 600hp at the start of next year. I should be able to squeze that on the current turbo. Then I have a bigger compressor in the pipeline that should really get things cooking.
    Scoff, BS figuers or not, it looks nice on a printout!! Talking of gearboxes, i was looking at suitable van gear boxes to bolt to the 225 block but only 5 speed due to length limitations. An early Nissan box iv'e been looking at has the same NDO bolt pattern and would allow a 240mm clutch and flywheel combo to be used. I guess the box would be suitable for big torque coming from a 2 tonne van. Not sure what the gearing would be like though...................

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Amazing!!

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Genius!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    What did you need to know ? It's just a VAG steel flywheel from SPEC in the USA. I figured steel would be easier to machine (the old cast one was a pain in the ass to do) and should be a bit safer at high rpm's I hope.
    how did you manage to weld it without warping it? did you use a mig?

cheers

Post Thanks / Like

wot can i say your the man keep up the good work son

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clee View Post
    I like how he makes it sound oh so simple " found a box .made it fit then made everything else fit around it "
    Was thinking the same thing

Threads like this are just brilliant - for the new kids on the block like myself, who struggle with the basics...........these kind of projects are great inspiration!!

As for not wanting to bore us with the details - BORE ME - Its been a great learning curve so far and threads with "good" information are always interesting to read!!!

Keep the updates coming Chris

Post Thanks / Like

looks great

Post Thanks / Like

Well done buddy you have got a great tallent for tuning and fabrication

Post Thanks / Like

what's the oil filter? Oh, I suppose and why that one?

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    what's the oil filter? Oh, I suppose and why that one?
    how does "because it was cheap" grab you ?

It's a standard diesel F block filter I think, but of a reputable brand. I ditched the cooler long ago, it seemed a bit pointless in a drag car.

Post Thanks / Like

Epic build mate, hats off to you, your 5 is one hell of a weapon!

Post Thanks / Like

Chris glad you have found a suitable upgrade - loving the work and you do kind of make it look easy - not a cable tie in sight

Can only imagine that car is becoming a bit violent to drive and not for the faint hearted!

What have you done for a diff in that box?

DG

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Grier View Post

Can only imagine that car is becoming a bit violent to drive and not for the faint hearted!

What have you done for a diff in that box?

DG
    Its standard for now duncan, I don't feel I'd benefit from one with the big drag tyres. it'd make life a sh1t load easier in the burn out though, currently a bit of a pain trying to get both wheels to light up at the same time. If the box holds out then I'll put one in over summer.

South West Regional Rep Alastair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Stunning car, amazing level of intelligent work gone into it. Good luck for the forthcoming season

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Progress has been a bit slow past few weeks with work and other cars to deal with but managed to spend another chunk of time on it this weekend.

First up was hydraulic clutch. I used Michael Teirney's idea and mounted the master cylinder vertically in the bulkhead having added a linkage to the top of the pedal:

Mini master cylinder mounted:

The pedal mech and cylinder work perfectly, but unfortunately it seems there may not be quite enough volume in the cylinder to fully disengage the clutch. IE, slave cylinder wants more fluid. You can fully compress the master cylinder and it's enough to "flip" the springs in the clutch, and sure enough the clutch is disengaged but I think it might want to drag a bit. So for now it'll do, I won't know if it's a problem until it's running again.

Then I finished the manifold. Getting the last runner in was a bit tricky since I had to leave enough space for the downpipe plus it had to navigate the huge gearbox and whatever else is down there. They are all equal length within 1/4", resonance tuned. The keen manifold makers amongst you might spot the odd collector order. Done so I can divide the ports should I want to go twin scroll in the future.

Then I got the wastegate and dump pipe done. This time it sits below the turbine housing:

I started on the downpipe too but didn't bother taking any more pictures. I'll do that next week.

Post Thanks / Like

scoffsport exhaust work of art

Post Thanks / Like

what gate is that? 60mm? looks like a precision gate, but they only come in 44mm i think.

did you make your own collector too, or buy it in? looks very pro anyhow

p.s you should condsider doing those manifold for conversions for people, the yanks charge crazy money for theres, i bet yours is as good

http://www.full-race.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=1235

$1425 + shipping + import tax! ouch

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Rob it's a turbosmart pro-gate 50, thought I told you last week ? collector is made from tube, just the flange I bought.

Post Thanks / Like

Epic stuff Quality

Post Thanks / Like

Blooming marvelous mate!

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers, its on hold for a bit while I move house but hoping to resume in Feb. Collected a few more bits in the mean while, nothing of any great interest though

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent work as always Scoff, Manifold is very nice Loving the use of Mini Parts aswell