Post Thanks / Like

Supercharging???

First post!

G'day all.

I was looking back through some old car mags and came across an old Fiesta that had had an RS Turbo engine conversion. The owner had also decided that as the turbo was a little too laggy he'd also supercharge it. I was wondering whether anybody has actually added a supercharger to an GT Turbo or even thought about it and whether it could be done. The supercharger in the Fiesta actually cut off once the turbo had reached boost. Pretty could anti-lad system if it could be done, or even a way to ram more air in at a lower boost at the same time as the turbo.

Does anybody have any thoughts???

Tambo

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Supercharging???

Problem being is that inlet and exhaust manifolds are both at the back of the engine bay so its not going to be easy to even fit behind there if anything impossible

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the club as well.

Post Thanks / Like

As previously mentioned, the biggest issue is finding space to put the supercharger but, the theory is sound.

You might be able to fit a rotax centrifugal supercharger in place of the alternator and fit the alternator around the back of the engine like some other Renaults (R19 I think?)

Woz

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen a Classic mini with a supercharged A-series, surely if you can get one under the bonnet of a mini you can fit one on a 5?

Post Thanks / Like

handyandy on here is building a twincharged F7P in the projects section

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

not alot of room in the front of a five,that said if you cut the middle section of the crossbeam and welded a 5mm plate in front of the crossbeam and pushed the rad tight to the front and ran a chargecooler it could work, you would need to change super charger pulley to a "v" band or waterpump wheel and alternator to a 6 rib type rotrex type charger is more middle/top end , where a roots (eaton)+ others are low down power, eaton 45 /65 merc type are the smallest flow rate wise (750cc)which are good for about 8-12 psi max, used a bypass valve in my set up to allow direct feed to engine once supercharger makes a certain boost level, dont think you can block the air feed to the supercharger at all as it is always running ,unless up can pick up a clutched type pulley system of one of the merc 200/180 kompressors (m65)

Trader
    Big Jim Racing

Post Thanks / Like

You can run a tb in front of a supercharger, positive displacement or cenrtrifugal. Just means that the blower, pipework and any inter/charge cooler are going to see vacuum as well as boost. I may be wrong but I think the mini cooper s is plumbed that way. As you mention you don't need a bypass valve so I guess it's cheaper for mass production types.
    The Shorrock set-up Tiff mentioned (I'm assuming the blown mini mentioned above had a shorrock) sucked through an SU and had no intercooling. Std kit only made about 6psi though, from memory.

There's alway room... Why not run an extended drive shaft and put the blower down by the gearbox? or if you're using a rotrex flip it round and put it up behind the headlight (still probably a bit tight!)

Engineering this kind of setup is always going to be a lot of work and if you run both blowers all the time it's all too easy to end up with about 3 bar boost. It does appeal to the kid in everyone though and it's an idea that keeps pooping up from time to time.

or do I mean popping?
    Last edited by Big Jim; 30-09-2010 at 20:07.

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If you use the charger off the mini cooperS and put it where the altenator goes, it has a union on its back end to drive an altenator so you could put it on the front of the block and drive it off the bottom pulley, it'd be easy to find a pulley to go on the crank and water pump that'll accept a drive belt to suit the charger and a few custom brackets to mount the charger and altenator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    The Shorrock set-up Tiff mentioned (I'm assuming the blown mini mentioned above had a shorrock) sucked through an SU and had no intercooling. Std kit only made about 6psi though, from memory.
    That sounds about right, i'm pretty sure the lad had it running on lpg an all.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been looking into supercharger too Prenty of mini M45? Eaton jobbies on ebay for not big £££. Its just the plumbing and brackets that are . Think this could be a winter project

East Midlands Regional Rep Os8472's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Superccarging???

What about a C1J with just a Supercharger on it, yeah it won't be the most powerfully 5 out there but that thing would be untouchable on a hill climb.

That instant power power in a stripped out car would be awesome

Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Cheers for all the info guys. Its something it look into.

I've only just finished my GT Turbo project and got it onto the Australian roads (quite a task as WOZ can vouch!!!). Just need to re-attach a few goodies to the car that needed to come out for the road inspection, then set up the carbie using my new Innovate LM-2 kit (when i figure out how to use it!). Then i'm ready for a little strip action.

As projects are never really finished, so the supercharging idea may be the next installment. I'll have a look around and see what i can find.

Tambo
    Last edited by Turbo_Tambo; 02-10-2010 at 00:14.

Committee Member
    North West Regional Area Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

i like the idea of this suoercharged/turbo combo on the 5gtt it would certainly eliminate the turbo lag and make it a much quicker car before the turbo comes on song this could be the way round having a big t28 etc without the downfalls of big lag. im interested

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Tambo View Post
    As projects are need really finished the supercharging idea may be the next installment. I'll have a look around and see what i can find.
    You might be able to find yourself a Sprintex supercharger as Australia is where they moved to from the UK.

They make 60psi on drag bikes with those and they are tiny. I think I'm correct in saying they are the most efficient supercharger made. They use twin screws.

Of course you can make less psi as well.

Many years ago, after Jim told me about them, I tried to make enquiries about buying one for my 5GTT but just kept hitting communication problems with the new Australian vendor and eventually lost interest. I seem to recall that the salesman there seem to be unable to comprehend why anyone would want to own a 1.4 litre car, much less, bother to supercharge it.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Cheers for the info Ian.

After looking at the website I found out that i only live a few kilometres away from Sprintex. Nice. I may have to pop down there with the 5 one day soon and see what they suggest.

Post Thanks / Like

i always thought a supercharger was pants off the mark and 5's are crap top end so wouldnt that make a problem ?????

Post Thanks / Like

superchargers give instant power. 5's arnt built for high speeds but no reason why you wouldnt want to get there as quick as poss.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

this is renault TURBO owners club, turbos all the way!!!! you cant beat the punch of turbo and the smile on your face!!!lets not wreck a gt turbo by banging a supercharger on,keep it original lol just my view

Post Thanks / Like

i think if you want the challenge to fit a supercharger to a c1j go for it,but i know what i d sooner do and thats keep the c1j with just a turbo an nice bit of boost.if i want more power in the future it will be an engine swap with something more modern.

Post Thanks / Like

like a b18ft with a t3 & supercharger

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

looks good if only it could deevlop more than 6.6psi boost

Post Thanks / Like

That 6.6psi is just to get you going.

Then your turbo can chime in with another 18psi or so.

Note: full boost, ie 6.6psi, in 0.3 seconds.

If you let 24 psi in at 1500rpm your engine / transmission might turn into scrap metal.

This is the reason many of the VNT users get cracked liners and need the stronger 'steel' liners.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    That 6.6psi is just to get you going.

Then your turbo can chime in with another 18psi or so.

Note: full boost, ie 6.6psi, in 0.3 seconds.

If you let 24 psi in at 1500rpm your engine / transmission might turn into scrap metal.

This is the reason many of the VNT users get cracked liners and need the stronger 'steel' liners.
    if only they would release to the buying public

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Os8472 View Post
    What about a C1J with just a Supercharger on it, yeah it won't be the most powerfully 5 out there but that thing would be untouchable on a hill climb.

That instant power power in a stripped out car would be awesome
    its called a VNT oliver....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markey b View Post
    its called a VNT oliver....