Post Thanks / Like

Rebooting HP Laptop

I deleted a spyware file on my laptop to change to a different one, now whenever you try to open a programme or file, you have to search for it from a massive list and its, well, a mission
    I've googled it up and the only option is to reboot the whole shabang, but I have no idea where the reboot disk is, and I can't download any programmes to do it as you can't save and open them.

Does anyone have a simple solution for me that doesn't involve a big hammer?

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rebooting HP Laptop

Deleted a spyware file to change to a different one? change from what to what exactly?

By rebooting are you talking about formatting.

Post Thanks / Like

Only just seen your reply mate.

I kept clicking things until I found out how to do it, haha.

The last spyware file I used deleted pretty much every programme from the computer so I didn't really like it.... it even took solitaire

Are there any that you could recommend that won't start clearing everything up?

Post Thanks / Like

Use the previous system restore point.

Post Thanks / Like

'RTOC I.T techinical know how' = 0 Points

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scratcher View Post
    Only just seen your reply mate.

I kept clicking things until I found out how to do it, haha.

The last spyware file I used deleted pretty much every programme from the computer so I didn't really like it.... it even took solitaire

Are there any that you could recommend that won't start clearing everything up?
    The last spyware file you used deleted everything?? I'm not sure what you are trying to say. You used an anti spyware or malware programme? recommend what that wont start clearing everything up?

If you just downloaded an anti spyware or anti virus it wont do anything which would render your computer useless nor would they just start randomly deleting files, only the actual spyware virus itself.

It is possible that what ever has infected your comp has done some damage which may be the case if even solitare won't work.

Post Thanks / Like

It was from superantipsyware.com. It cleared all 'non-essential' programmes from the system, like all the games and calculator etc., and it was only after I deleted it that the computer wouldn't let me open any programmes or files properly.
    I'd click on the icon for a programme and then it'd bring up a window asking me to search for the file, it took an age to do anything.
    I googled the problem and it seemed to be common when deleting spyware stuff.

As you can tell, I'm not clued up on computers and stuff so I just need advice on what to use that will protect me from the dreaded viruses?

Cheers for the help

Post Thanks / Like

sounds to me you do need a reboot . would be the best way . at least you would have a fresh install and everything that should be there will be . how old is you machine and what system is it running ie windows 98, vista , windows 7 , ect