Post Thanks / Like

Put Your Hands Up If You Hate Blue Smoke!!!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Put Your Hands Up If You Hate Blue Smoke!!!

I don't have any....... yet! Although I never rule out anything these days.

Post Thanks / Like

No smoke no poke aslong as its not fogging out the street its'fine'

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Fogging the street. Reminds me of a car I went to see many moons ago, before I bought mine.

Chap txt me whilst I was on my way there and said it had some slight smoke but it was only condensation as the car hadn't been started in a while. Took it for a spin and thought the rear screen was misted up but it was the car was smoking like a chimney!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brigsy View Post
    No smoke no poke aslong as its not fogging out the street its'fine'

Post Thanks / Like

i smoked out the street before i changed my nakard turbo misses went mental and told me to sell the car still got it

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys..

ok.. my car is smoking once again. my turbo has been rebuilt recently (about 1000 miles ago).

The car has a constant light blowing of blue smoke (oil) im tryin to find the most likely culprit. I recently put the head back together after a valve broke. The valve had been replaced also the valve guide. But left a stem seal off that valve.

The car was fine for a while. I recently set the car up and turned boost to 20psi. At the first few times of boosting, was a litttle puff of blue smoke. I thought not much to worry about. Ive had a problem with it smoking before on idle, whch i thought coudlt be the turbo oil drain pipe, which i replaced with another rubber pipe i found that fits. (apparently oil may not be draining back and going back up the turbo) After that was changed it seems ok.

but now smoking again...

what do you guys think? is it possible that it could be valve stem at all? (clutching straws). Also very light blue smoke on boost. Then a bit more right after boost

Post Thanks / Like

May be worth getting it compression tested

Post Thanks / Like

rings should be ok.. got no oil in the catch tank...

Post Thanks / Like

Probably turbo related mate, possibly oil pressure or oil contamination has damaged it?

Post Thanks / Like

ye.. thats what im hoping its not... again... please someone pray for my car that its not the turbo lol

International Area Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

I really think it could be caused by the valve seals.
    I had a similar problem few years ago and I thought it is the turbo.
    But as I've removed the cylinder head cover I have seeen that 2 valve seals has been lifted. After changing them it was fine.

Post Thanks / Like

ok.. Who has a spare turbo i can try... Own up..

Post Thanks / Like

ok.. first off.. i want to appologise for the very long post... here goes

looking for a bit of advice. the car seems to be puffing smoke on idle mostly.. and also slightly on boost too but mostly on idle.. big puffs.

Its either turbo or stem seals/valve guide prob. (once i broke a valve, had to replace the valve and valve guide, but used no stem seal. The piston had a chip in it as it was hitting the valve, but i smoothed it down and put all back since that)

What i wana know is IF it is the valve guide making the cars smoke now, would it be smoking how i describe? or would it be smoking constantly always the same? It seems to smoke more if i boot it then stop, and idle for a moment and would puff big smoke. :P

Im thinkin of takin the turbo off.. and taking it to TurboDevelopments. or is there something else i can do to check or see if its somthin to do with the head?

The turbo has hardly any play and has been rebuilt not so long ago already as it was smoking (was smoking before and had hardly any play too, but the bearings were scored or whatever as oil contamination, it was then rebuilt). I now have a prefilter which i check regularly, but my oil guage doesnt work either, ive changed the thing on the turbo oil feed, on the front of the block and also the dash, but still no joy. If i had a oil pressure problem, woud this cause the turbo shaft to have play? (im tryin to figure out if i could have an oil pressure issue? is it low pressure i should be worried about? although i have not much play in the shaft,, maybe 2-3mm play side to side but thats it.

If anyone could advise, would be apreciated.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I had blue smoke on my clio after replacing the turbo ..turned out to be a blocked breather pipe ...so i cleared the pipes and put them back on ..it sorted it out

Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

thanks mate,, breathers are fine tho my breather system is very simplified so there are not many... basically js 2. I js need to know the character of the smoke IF it was a stem seal/valve guide problem. Im doubting it, but hoping its not turbo, cos its been rebuilt recently

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

ah ok ..i ran the cup mod ..i jubilee clipped the pipes on ..put them up too tight on the t-piece ...blocking the breather system ..so had the same problem ..loosened off said clips and it was fine.

Maybe do a compression test to see if it is internal?

Post Thanks / Like

will a compression test tell me if valve guides are leaking oil tho??

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I honestly dont kno if im honest ..all i kno it will tell you if your getting the same compression in every cylinder

Post Thanks / Like

has anyone experienced a 5gtt to smoke on idle because of valve stem seal/guide problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the turbo to me mate,

Another good test is boot it up to 5000 rpm in second or third gear (engine up to temperature) and then back off the gas and allow the engine to slow down with the vehicle speed. If the turbo is knackered the big vacuum produced in the engine will produce a big smoke screen out the exhaust from the turbo as the oil leaks through the turbo rear oil seal

Mine was doing this, so i've PMT my turbo with a repair kit which included a 360 degree thrust bearing £74 and a staggered rear oil seal £14.

You need to get it balanced though!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tarmac trasher - Nick View Post
    Sounds like the turbo to me mate,

Another good test is boot it up to 5000 rpm in second or third gear (engine up to temperature) and then back off the gas and allow the engine to slow down with the vehicle speed. If the turbo is knackered the big vacuum produced in the engine will produce a big smoke screen out the exhaust from the turbo as the oil leaks through the turbo rear oil seal

Mine was doing this, so i've PMT my turbo with a repair kit which included a 360 degree thrust bearing £74 and a staggered rear oil seal £14.

You need to get it balanced though!
    ye thanks.. im pretty sure its pointing at the turbo.. as its getting worse n worse

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like the stem seals to me. If its smoking on overun and idle this is when vacuum is at its highest drawing oil through the guides. u can make a tool to hold the valve in place with the spark plug out and a tool to compress the spring to remove the valvespring and collets in situ. someone may have one. (this is the cheapest fix so worth trying first if you can do it)

Obviously the turbo could be the problem but i'd allways go for a 20p seal and a bit of hard work over an expensive turbo repair that may not fix the problem. If your going to have to remove the head then this obviously changes things, still probably the cheaper route tho.
    Last edited by Tony Walker; 17-10-2010 at 22:40.

Post Thanks / Like

Also i have experienced this, i replaced my stem seals with the *uprated* cgb ones
    2 had popped off smoked like hell on idle, i only realised the seals had come off as i had to take my head off for other reasons. since replacing them idles/boosts without a hint of smoke

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    Also i have experienced this, i replaced my stem seals with the *uprated* cgb ones
    2 had popped off smoked like hell on idle, i only realised the seals had come off as i had to take my head off for other reasons. since replacing them idles/boosts without a hint of smoke
    great. But your sayin its possible to put a stem seal on with the head in situ?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, you need something to hold the valve up, through the spark plug hole, theres airline kits that you connect in to the spark hole that do it too(u cant just use the piston as the valve still has some clearance at tdc so it will drop and you wont be able to get the collets back on. Then getting the spring off isnt the hard part its getting the spring clamped and back on, i made a tool to do it, but in the end a pry bar pushing down on the spring/cap under the carb worked but u'd need two people and patience, if your gonna do it, put tissue over the pushrod oil drain holes, dont want to drop a collet down there. (will pre warn you it is fiddly but possible)

Post Thanks / Like

sounds too fiddly and complicated for me,, and i dont think anyone round my way will know how to do it. I think its gna be head off

Post Thanks / Like

k.... well... managed to get the stem seal sorted without taking the head off...

still smokes.... now defo pointing at the turbo