Post Thanks / Like

Clio electric window problem

Not mine but the missus Clio

Basically the passenger window doesn't work and that's from both the passenger side switch and the drivers side switch, the drivers side doorcard has both drivers and passenger electric window switches next to each other. I assume it can't be both faulty swithches, could it be the motor? can i test it to see if the motor's getting 12V when i try the switches?

IIRC it was intermittent i.e only the passenger switch would work on/off for a while and now they both don't

Any help would be appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clio electric window problem

How old is the clio?? On the clio 1 both passenger window switches( ie passenger and drivers side) have to be plugged in before the passenger window will work, there linked together somehow, so if its the same system maybe the drivers switch has done one totally and thats whats killed the window, if you wanna test the power to the motor then its a door card off option looking for 12v + or - depending on which way you are pushing the switch.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a 54 plate Clio, now you've mentioned the switch on the drivers side having 1 plug for both that does sound right. I've had the doorcard off my Clio and it's not too bad a job, I changed the window mech and motor on mine. Cheers Nick I'll have a look tonight

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, oddly enough today with the ign on the window went down once, back up, then failed to work

I then took the doorcard off and with the multimeter and ignition on i had 11.86V, i then tried both switches to which the voltage dropped and went back to the above voltage when letting go. What i noticed with the switches was with the passenger switch on the drivers side there was no noise but with the switch on the passenger side when pressing 'up' it sounded like the motor was trying to work but nothing on the 'down' position'

Does this point to a faulty, intermittent window motor? Apologies for the War and Peace esque story

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

you need to measure the voltage across the window motor, IE between the 2 wires that power it and not putting the black prod on to the chassis.

If you get a low volt reading across the motor when you press the buttons (less than 10v say) then there is a wiring fault, poor earth, duff switch etc.

If you are getting a healty +12v (or -12v depending on weather you've pressed UP or DOWN) and the motor is still not moving then the motor or mechanism is to blame.

Post Thanks / Like

Doh! I tested on the chassis. Ok, it's raining and dark now so i'll test it across the 2 wires tomorrow, cheers Scoff

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the regulator is knackered to me. Voltage drop indicates its trying to move but the regs not letting it.

Post Thanks / Like

Seemed to have sorted the problem, the passenger switch seems to be at fault, it will only work DOWN but not UP. I tried a drivers side double swicth and nothing, tried another passenger only side switch and it worked, the plastic part of the mechanism had got stuck on the rail. Once it was free it would go up and down with a decent switch.

Although, IIRC with the ignition on and testing the 2 wires with a multimeter there was no voltage reading. Would that suggest the switch, i didn't try the switch as there was no reading.