Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New R5 GTT 1/4m record today !

well done pal sorry not been on the blower b4 just been up to my eyes in it....will take time out soon for a chat

Post Thanks / Like

stage 2 done just waiting for pod next month fingers crossed video should be on soon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hi 5 View Post
    stage 2 done just waiting for pod next month fingers crossed video should be on soon
    What date next month you planning on going to pod mate, may try pop along too with campus once it get its new head fitted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markey Mark (BD) View Post
    What date next month you planning on going to pod mate, may try pop along too with campus once it get its new head fitted.
    next saterday son if the weather forcast is ok

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck buddy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post
    Good luck buddy.
    thanks pal just hoping for good weather

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post

cheers son thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Nice video, how much gas are you using?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rs250nut View Post
    Nice video, how much gas are you using?

lots and lots

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

lots and lots
    about 130hp's worth if you believe the numbers. it's programmable though, so there's a different amount in different gears

Post Thanks / Like

Devils advocate here , what are peoples views on gas usage and the 1/4 mile leader board rankings seeing as we have 0.01 splitting the top 2 RTOC boys .One on gas , one not .
    Discuss

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

everyone will have a different opinion on this one, it would make for a good debate

My 2p, and the way I see it is that if you want to go much faster than that sort of time you WILL need nitrous.

It's possible to build a non nitrous motor like Stu did and make that time as Stu has proven. That is really impressive. I think even with the EFI we'd have been hard pressed to do what Stu did.

But, as I'm sure Stu will tell you, it is almost imposible to make any more power than that though. With glenn's from the off it was always going to be a nitrous motor, with a goal of going much quicker than 11.4, so everyhing about it was put in place to make the best use of nitrous and in larger doses than it has now. With nitrous it shouldn't be too hard to go quite a bit faster still, to get up there with gianni. If we had built a high performance non nitrous motor then we'd be tearing the engine to bits right about now wishing we'd have built a nitrous motor from the start. It's all part of the master plan *lol*

it's all good fun which ever way you go, and none of it should be taken too seriously

Post Thanks / Like

What are the main differences as far as engine build goes ? Does it work better on a particular design or layout ? Would a lazy old V6 respond well ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clee View Post
    What are the main differences as far as engine build goes ? Does it work better on a particular design or layout ? Would a lazy old V6 respond well ?
    there's not loads of changes but as far as nos on yours son depends just how far you have tuned yours ie how much to the limit it is but any motor out there will accept 50 bhp of gas but mine was built with 300 bhp of gas inmind so a little more thought was required in how to get the nos out. getting it in no problem
    yours would respond really well to nos as the bmw 8 series in the video is running 150 bhp of nos and the chap was loving it

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clee View Post
    nitrous changes a lot of things! essentially there is a lot more exhaust gas to deal with so exhaust valves, exhaust ports, turbine sizing and wastegate all need thinking about. compression ratio gets a lot more critical too. it's really hard to put a lot of gas into a motor with a c/r that is too high without having to overly compromise on ignition timing, which directly effects EGT and the likelyhood of other nasty stuff happening in the chamber. Like most tuning though you can only guess the starting points, it's down to trial and error in the end. Like recently we discovered that glenn's motor responds to more boost better than it responds to more gas. That was a bit un-expected so we just have to roll with it and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

I miss NOS days with the old GT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob@Backyardracing View Post
    I miss NOS days with the old GT
    you playing at pod next weekend

Post Thanks / Like

Im Not racing but should be there if weather is good for the day out..

Post Thanks / Like

nitrous changes a lot of things! essentially there is a lot more exhaust gas to deal with so exhaust valves, exhaust ports, turbine sizing and wastegate all need thinking about. compression ratio gets a lot more critical too. it's really hard to put a lot of gas into a motor with a c/r that is too high without having to overly compromise on ignition timing, which directly effects EGT and the likelyhood of other nasty stuff happening in the chamber. Like most tuning though you can only guess the starting points, it's down to trial and error in the end. Like recently we discovered that glenn's motor responds to more boost better than it responds to more gas. That was a bit un-expected so we just have to roll with it and see what happens.
    Answers one of my questions as I was thinking of nitrous on my engine, I know the comp is fairly high being an MSM build & I had already thought I'd need to use some sort of aftermarket ecu for timing..hmmm, maybe see what it will do off the bottle 1st & then maybe look int oforged pistons & a slightly modded c/r...
    All I know is I'm itching to get back to pod

Post Thanks / Like

how do these volvo lumps respond to a bit of nos?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5teve L View Post
    Answers one of my questions as I was thinking of nitrous on my engine, I know the comp is fairly high being an MSM build & I had already thought I'd need to use some sort of aftermarket ecu for timing..hmmm, maybe see what it will do off the bottle 1st & then maybe look int oforged pistons & a slightly modded c/r...
    All I know is I'm itching to get back to pod
    lets not get lost with my engine spec as last year i run standard every thing but a gt28 and a 285 cam and 80 bhp of gas and 22psi of boost,on carb standard engine and did 170 drag strip runs no problem

Post Thanks / Like

lets not get lost with my engine spec as last year i run standard every thing but a gt28 and a 285 cam and 80 bhp of gas and 22psi of boost,on carb standard engine and did 170 drag strip runs no problem
    I know it's all in the set up, but having higher comp isn't going to help & I'm wondering if the standard ecu (if you can call it that ) will have enough retard when using gas.
    It's definatly something I have been looking into & reading up about... I'm trying not to be spoon fed about this but it could end up costly if I don't get a few pointers from people so am tring to gain as much info as poss.

Post Thanks / Like

I know it's all in the set up, but having higher comp isn't going to help & I'm wondering if the standard ecu (if you can call it that ) will have enough retard when using gas.
    It's definatly something I have been looking into & reading up about... I'm trying not to be spoon fed about this but it could end up costly if I don't get a few pointers from people so am tring to gain as much info as poss.
    as i said standard i was on a renix 209 without retarding any timing at all and run 80 bhp of gas no problem if you need any more info my no is 07968069723 as i have been using nos for years

Post Thanks / Like

It wont have enough retard to cope with a high comp MSN... depends how much gas you run tho, i would have thought you want to make big numbers so id sooner start lower comp and work from that base..

Post Thanks / Like

as i said standard i was on a renix 209 without retarding any timing at all and run 80 bhp of gas no problem if you need any more info my no is 07968069723 as i have been using nos for years
    Cheers I'll take you up on that, I prob won't run any gas till the spring, I'll see how the car copes 1st without, low 12's is what I'm hoping for without.....
    Can't wait to see what your car does next time it's out

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob@Backyardracing View Post
    It wont have enough retard to cope with a high comp MSN... depends how much gas you run tho, i would have thought you want to make big numbers so id sooner start lower comp and work from that base..
    Yeah I thought the high comp would cause probs from what I've read up on Rob... The way I was hoping to get round it was with aftermarket ign ecu bud, you think it's worth a shot ?
    I may just see what it does without gas & then lower the comp... I may have to go on a diet to get into the 11's though

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I thought the high comp would cause probs from what I've read up on Rob... The way I was hoping to get round it was with aftermarket ign ecu bud, you think it's worth a shot ?
    I may just see what it does without gas & then lower the comp... I may have to go on a diet to get into the 11's though
    when you say high comp how high

Post Thanks / Like

OK You see this is where my car was different... My old car ran flat top pistons, and at a guess with 23psi boost i couldnt run much more than 35hp-40hp tops @ 4 deg retard and i was on limit just before det.. 99 ron fuel..

Post Thanks / Like

when you say high comp how high
    8.1:1 I think.

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the thermodynamics involved with this particular argument are a bit beyond the scope of this thread but in basic terms the no.1 rule is to keep your ignition timing somewhere close to optimal even if it means sacrificing some compression to do it. It's especially important in a highly stressed and compact engine like the c1j where stuff can go wrong quickly if things arn't happy.

steve, if you want to stick with pump octane then you will need to lower that c/r for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Put some proper fuel in it

Post Thanks / Like

I think the thermodynamics involved with this particular argument are a bit beyond the scope of this thread but in basic terms the no.1 rule is to keep your ignition timing somewhere close to optimal even if it means sacrificing some compression to do it. It's especially important in a highly stressed and compact engine like the c1j where stuff can go wrong quickly if things arn't happy.

steve, if you want to stick with pump octane then you will need to lower that c/r for sure.
    Yeah, I'm coming round to that idea Chris, I have no idea where to get higher octane fuel anyway..lol.

When James ran the VNT @ 23psi manifold the TDC was fully retarded, he moved it to standard & it popped the gasket right away... I think we can safely say the gas won't help that
    Det-cans at the ready me thinks..

Post Thanks / Like

can you use that octane booster that you can buy in in a can. is that any good?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SCHWARTZ View Post
    can you use that octane booster that you can buy in in a can. is that any good?

1 of the best octane booster on the market is cvl turbo made by millers oils

Post Thanks / Like

1 of the best octane booster on the market is cvl turbo made by millers oils
    could you not just dump some of that in the tank wind the boost up and add a 150bhp shot of nos then

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SCHWARTZ View Post
    could you not just dump some of that in the tank wind the boost up and add a 150bhp shot of nos then
    if it was that simply

Post Thanks / Like

would be nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Gas V Boost...
    In my opinion, my old motor would have responded to a larger turbine housing if I were to persevere with gas. The extra exhaust volume could not be dealt with (i am guessing a little as didnt test any other housings) and as my gas went straight into the inlet manifold the carb did not further restrict...
    I didnt want to increase the housing for a number of reasons but mainly due to gearing as running only 3 gears means you need a large torque band, narrowing the torque band would have meant using 4 gears and due to selections available would mean potentially a non gt box.
    My intention was always to stick with the basic set up as Renault intended and for the record it was basically the following.
    Std crank, balanced
    Std rods, balanced
    Forged pistons, similar to standard but with beter oil return, lower skirt, increased squish band but dished not domed.
    Std valves on 3 angle seats
    Std head, altered chambers and well machined (not huge) ports
    Std ex and inlet manifolds
    Std carb re-jetted, 27.5mm venturi
    different cam with vernier
    3 extra engine breathers
    std distributer, leads, ecu and ignition timing

i found through years of trying and testing that gains are in the finer detail, cam timing, exhaust housing sizing, temperature control etc

I think given more time, my engine would benefit from gas but that i had found the limits of the gearing and trying to hold the transmission together, I also found that my engine responded better to boost than gas and that maybe my next step should have been a better ignition map/bespoke ECU, oh and steel rods might have helped...
    VAG gearbox gives you more options also...

A 10 second C1J, I would love to see!

Post Thanks / Like

Incidentally, has anyone seen my old car, seems to have dissapeared?!?

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

I havn't seen it about Stu I expected to see it at pod this year, or National day or something.

Post Thanks / Like

I havn't seen it about Stu I expected to see it at pod this year, or National day or something.
    maybe you need to check here?

Post Thanks / Like

Dont think it will be chasing any 1/4 mile records in the future, the lad who as it now bought my SD roll cage for it, think its due on the road nxt year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steveT2 View Post
    Dont think it will be chasing any 1/4 mile records in the future, the lad who as it now bought my SD roll cage for it, think its due on the road nxt year.
    shame its not going to be on the strip but dave will keep me on my toes

Post Thanks / Like

It is a shame, it will be a very strange car on the road as it was a big boost set up, I found it almost impossible to drive on even the best roads...
    Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

new times on saterday at pod 11.20 and 11.28

Post Thanks / Like

new times on saterday at pod 11.20 and 11.28
    Well done mate, good going!

So whats stage 3 then!

Post Thanks / Like

Well done mate, good going!

So whats stage 3 then!
    not tried stage 2 yet want to try that first but on with stage 3 as well

Post Thanks / Like

not tried stage 2 yet want to try that first but on with stage 3 as well
    Ah cool so bit more playing about with the current set up.

I see you after new head so can imagine what the next step is.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah cool so bit more playing about with the current set up.

I see you after new head so can imagine what the next step is.

ah see/ you dont have 1 do you