Post Thanks / Like

Clio Cup pic (2000)

Nothing too special, found this pic amongst many old BTCC photos i took throughout the 2 years i went (98-00) before they changed the rules and regs in 2000. It's Renault

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clio Cup pic (2000)

amazing pic mate , bet there is not many of them ph 1 left cup spec

Post Thanks / Like

it'd be awesome if you could get your hands on one of these for some trackday fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_b View Post
    it'd be awesome if you could get your hands on one of these for some trackday fun!
    They're not hard to find for sale. I'd love one

Post Thanks / Like

My phase 1 Clio 172 is getting there (slowly) in need of bucket seats, harnesses then the 6 point cage. Debating whether to go with the period decals like the ones on the 172 in the pic above

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

My Dad ran a few in that year. I think Rick and Jim Jnr where on the front row at that meeting.

Paul Lomax (with the blue bumper, silver body) rolled his 3 times over in that race. The drivers door came open, so I believe Renault had a close look at the latches at that point.
    I have some good pictures of mid-flight, but internet is too slow at the moment

In fact, all those three drivers came from racing Renault 5GT Turbo's
    Jim Edwards won the championship in 1990. Rick Pearson won it when it was the Super coupe cup.
    Last edited by Sam Fish; 17-09-2010 at 13:35. Reason: edit

Post Thanks / Like

Sam, i don't suppose you know if the cup cars of that time had items made i.e foglight ducts, different airbox? etc. Specific to that series

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah, they had a few different bits.
    My dad seems to remember the airboxes being similar or the same to the ph1 clio V6 airboxes.....
    they had fog-light ducts, but have long since been unavailable. They where really nice neat fitting ones that sat inside the fog 'hole'.
    I would upload a picture for you, but my internet is running at 200kbs at the mo...

If I could have ANY cup race car, it would be a ph1 clio 172 version..... Or a spider cup car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Fish View Post
    yeah, they had a few different bits.
    My dad seems to remember the airboxes being similar or the same to the ph1 clio V6 airboxes.....
    they had fog-light ducts, but have long since been unavailable. They where really nice neat fitting ones that sat inside the fog 'hole'.
    I would upload a picture for you, but my internet is running at 200kbs at the mo...

If I could have ANY cup race car, it would be a ph1 clio 172 version..... Or a spider cup car.

I have pics of the Spider cup cars too, i'll dig em out and scan them. I seem to remember Jason Plato racing in that series before moving up to Renault Williams BTCC in the Renault Laguna.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah, he won it well.
    My dad wanted to run some spiders but the drivers didnt come. He said he spoke to plato, but the deal didnt happen, which is a shame in retrospect!
    I have no idea what the annual budgets where compared to clios, but I think the prize was a test in the laguna touring car. I THINK the clio prize in 2000 was a clio 172, and the prize money during the year, which would have just paid for the season if you won EVERY race and Qualifying. I think thats about right . Not the same anymore!
    I would love to have a ride in a spider at full race speed!