Post Thanks / Like

b18ft clutch

hi lads i have big problems with my b18ft clutch i,v put a new clutch in it was the bigger one 215 mm but my volvo arm was snaped so i put the r5gtturbo one in on the volvo box i put it in gear and started hur up and she decided to run me over lol so i tuck it out of gear and investergated i come up with the cluch cable was streched so i bourt a new one and put it in today and she did the same so im thinking its the clutch arm but not to sure big job if its not any iders lads thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: b18ft clutch

isnt the release arm longer on the volvo box? there have been a few problems with this tho.
    https://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=13824

Post Thanks / Like

the clutch arm is longer and there is also a bracket that holds the cable out further which lines the cable up with the arm.

it is the same arm and bracket as used on the 172 and they run them on the mk1 clios for soft pedal conversion.

on mine im running the r5 box with a volvo clutch and without the longer arm and bracket and its spot on. goes in every gear sweet as a nut.

Post Thanks / Like

same ere gtt box volvo clutch goes into gear fine.

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

you can use any, gtt arm or volvo longer with extender bkt for cable, or even longer 172 arm and same as volvo extender bkt, all will work. if you'd put the clutch in the wrong way round it would make an awful noise.
    does it still select the gears ok? and not move in neutral?
    have you tried to take the slack out of the cable using the quadrant on the pedal ?
    is the arm sitting in the bearing properly?

Post Thanks / Like

You put it in gear and tried to start it then it tried to run over you???? sounds like theres nothing wrong to me. If you start it in gear it will move. the clutch disengages the gearbox from the engine.

Post Thanks / Like

lol hi lads thanks for the replays i have try ed to set the peddle adjuster to its max but the car still creeps forward when the clutch is all the way down i think i need the bracket for the Volvo box yes
    where could i get one off these from..any Volvo at scrappy
    and yes I'm 100% sure the clutch is in right
    iv used the 5 arm and Volvo box is any one using this as well thanks lads

sorry lads just thort i shouldn't need the bracket for the Volvo because I'm using the 5 arm witch lines up with cable stop at gear box
    or is it because iv got the bigger clutch in box with the shorter 5 arm aaaaggrrrra new i should of wated and got a new volvo arm
    Last edited by 1.7r5gtturbo; 30-08-2010 at 02:23.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    You put it in gear and tried to start it then it tried to run over you???? sounds like theres nothing wrong to me. If you start it in gear it will move. the clutch disengages the gearbox from the engine.
    lol i was in car and had it in 1st with the clutch all the way down and it jumped fwored and tryed to kill me lol

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: b18ft clutch

Quote Originally Posted by Haz View Post
    you can use any, gtt arm or volvo longer with extender bkt for cable, or even longer 172 arm and same as volvo extender bkt, all will work. if you'd put the clutch in the wrong way round it would make an awful noise.
    does it still select the gears ok? and not move in neutral?
    have you tried to take the slack out of the cable using the quadrant on the pedal ?
    is the arm sitting in the bearing properly?
    hi haz yes selects gears better then my old 5 box nice and sweet the clutch can only go one way round because on one side of the clutch pad it steps out more then the other side the bigger side goes in to the pressure plate and i don't get any awful noises ,no movement in neutral and the arm seams to pivot nice
    not to sure how to take the slack out the cable or how set it up properly any ides thanks M
    the only reason y i put Volvo box in is because i got my engine off a M who worked in scrappy and has looked out for a mint engine for the past 3 years an old boy had the Volvo in his garage for years and it only had 24.000 on clock thats y i used Volvo box really feels good

Post Thanks / Like

are you using a 5 or volvo cable?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SCHWARTZ View Post
    are you using a 5 or volvo cable?
    using a brand new 5 cable m8 didnt get the volvo one

Post Thanks / Like

there was a problem with new cables. i know chris (fidos got a raider) had problems with a few clutch cables all be it on a c1j. how long is the length of the cable? inner and outer?

Trader
    Nocturnal Developments
    Post Thanks / Like

if 5 arm on volvo bow, you wont need the extender bkt. did you slacken off the adjuster when fitting the cable? as you may have stretched it if you just pulled it on. have you tried to remove the plastic stop behind the pedal, allows it to travel further and should sort it, also pull the pedal towards your self for that extra click on the ratchet

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks lads ill have a go sat morning

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks lad for all the help haz hit the nail on the head removed the stop on the back of the pedle and it sorted its self out thanks lad