Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

coilovers

i just bought some coilovers of biil j, finally managed to un-seize the height adjusters and sorted out the rebound adjuster (snapped off) but. the problem is how do coilovers mate up to the strut top? do i need a special bearing to suite the coilovers and the strut top rubber or do i do away with it all together(not the bearing obv) i will put some pix up soon of the prob.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: coilovers

cant see how to get these to fit with still using the bearings. Is there something else i need?

Post Thanks / Like

Do you mean you're unable to get the nut on the top? you need some spring compressors.

Edit: Opps ignore me I was looking at second pic (standard shocks) and totally forgot its the coilovers we are talking about.
    Last edited by tiff_lee; 16-08-2010 at 10:59.

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Gary, with the Avos, what you have goes straight on the bearing then you have the rubber / poly donut, then the top parts, then you have the little bowl thingy, washer and then nut and job done.

I have attached the AVO GTZ fitting guide to what I have as it has a pic that may assist you
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

What i did was just removed the top part where the standard spring sit or locates, swapped that with the smaller bit for the narrower spring and fit the top just the same, and in the same order.

Its quite hard to explain, but dead easy if you just look at it

Post Thanks / Like

cheers guys il have a go at it. I think i did try what you sais phill but it didnt look right il try it again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SCHWARTZ View Post
    cheers guys il have a go at it. I think i did try what you sais phill but it didnt look right il try it again.
    Gary, just had a look at your coilovers and I have circled the bits that the bearings will sit directly on and the rest is as per normal

That spring top section you have again the section I have circled will only allow you to go about 35-40mm drop as it stops at a certain distance down the shaft and will not budge anymore They did give out another section aswell with the coilovers kit's that will allow you to go as low as you like The other option replaces the section I have cirlced and sits on the top of the spring but dos not grip the shaft and allows for full adjustment of height anywhere up and down the AVO coilover.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    The other option replaces the section I have cirlced and sits on the top of the spring but dos not grip the shaft and allows for full adjustment of height anywhere up and down the AVO coilover.
    Would the other ones be similar to the spax ones then?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tiff_lee View Post
    Would the other ones be similar to the spax ones then?
    Similar yes the Spax are a very hard plastic and the AVO's are metal

Post Thanks / Like

Very hard plastic? I must be talking about something else then, was referring to this part

Post Thanks / Like

Very hard plastic? I must be talking about something else then, was referring to this part
    Yeah that's the Spax part, is it metal then?? to be honest I can't remember I just remember it being black and the springs sat in it and the bearing on that with the Spax

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah definitely metal at least we know we are talking about the same part.

Post Thanks / Like

Gary if you look at the setup guide page 3 picture and note the AS section you will note it is to wide to touch the shock shaft

Might be worth giving AVO a call if you want the part to see if they will supply a pair for you will allow you to adjust the coilovers properly.

Post Thanks / Like

ok so i think this is how you two have said (james and phill). this is also how i did try it in the first place but it didnt look right. this is the bearing sitting on the top of the bit that james circled earlier.

will upload some more pix of it all together when it decides to work

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Gary, that looks perfect

Post Thanks / Like

nice one just didnt look right the way the bearing case sat having a straight edge on a taper but if it is ok thats ace. Im not to fussed about having the car slammed i want it for practicality dont want to be scooping up all the used condoms of the road like yours james
    I want the adjustment to have it corner weighted and soften it up for the road the stiffen it up for track

Post Thanks / Like

nice one just didnt look right the way the bearing case sat having a straight edge on a taper but if it is ok thats ace. Im not to fussed about having the car slammed i want it for practicality dont want to be scooping up all the used condoms of the road like yours james
    I want the adjustment to have it corner weighted and soften it up for the road the stiffen it up for track

Used condoms make good protections for under the car especially if they are fresh ones when they dry out it goes nice and crispy under the car

Post Thanks / Like

you and your home made underseal james

Post Thanks / Like

Used condoms make good protections for under the car especially if they are fresh ones when they dry out it goes nice and crispy under the car
    Sicko, I did'nt think you used them anyway James

Post Thanks / Like

well done looks right to me

Post Thanks / Like

had them like that on sat then decided it didnt look right and built the konis back up now have to swap it all back over

Post Thanks / Like

me again. thought id be awkward so bought some adj top mounts as i had two n/s strut tops so ordered an o/s strut top from cgb and got sent another cnuting n/s. so now i have 3 n/s strut tops , just want someone to confirm if the fitting is correct as the top mount cant swivel anymore because of the doughnut and the only thing holding the top mount swivel thing in (when its this way round) is a circlip. just want to be sure before they go back on the cat for the 5/6th time

Post Thanks / Like

i will be fitting them to the car at a later date but trying them out on the cat first

Non-member Matt@CodeRedMotorsports's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Top mounts are upside down....you will be relying on a small circlip to carry damper loads the way you have them now.....in other words, they will probably smash the spherical joints out of the top mount......

Post Thanks / Like

Like this....

Post Thanks / Like

thats the way i thought they should go but the nut cant reach the thread to bolt to the shock

Post Thanks / Like

The idea behind solid top mounts is that you do away with the squashy rubber parts, the other thing is, the spherical bearing takes the place of the top bearing. Do away with these and they should fit. If you like I can photo mine, or, I'm sure there is something in the forums somewhere that shows how they should go....

South West Regional Rep Alastair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

thats the way i thought they should go but the nut cant reach the thread to bolt to the shock
    Mine were the same, if you are talking about the sleeved nut that goes through the spherical bearing onto the shock thread. I had to get some made up.

Post Thanks / Like

cheers guys great help all sorted now looks like its going to be a bumpy ride tho

Post Thanks / Like

I thought i'd add my query to this thread seeing as i'm in a similar boat with coilovers and adjustable top mounts.

The top part of my coilovers are different to Gary's in that there is no centre locating hole as such to hold it inline with the damper (see post no.10) it is the additional suspension components that line it up.

With the solid mount on top I can move the coilover spring cup side to side

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I noticed on the pic that your top platform was on an angle (looking like a ph2 top mount) whereas with the spherical top mounts they are flat will this affect the camber or am I missing something?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Warren View Post
    I noticed on the pic that your top platform was on an angle (looking like a ph2 top mount) whereas with the spherical top mounts they are flat will this affect the camber or am I missing something?
    Now you mention it I'm even more confused

Post Thanks / Like

Ok to illustrate what i'm babbling about here is a picture of my coilover with the spring cup which is located centrally once all the other standard suspension parts are bolted on.

Also here is my compbrake adjustable top mount, although I'm not too sure what the purpose of the sleeve nut and spacer is as they're too small to go onto the coilover

As I mentioned before there is nothing to locate the spring cup and stop it moving around plus the mount would be held flat?

Post Thanks / Like

I think you have helper spring collars and you are missing the top cups..... Look at the first pic at the top.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea I see the difference but when using all the standard suspension components it all mates up correctly, perhaps James5 can refresh my memory as I got them from him.

Still unsure of what the sleeve nut is for that came with the top mount.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea I see the difference but when using all the standard suspension components it all mates up correctly, perhaps James5 can refresh my memory as I got them from him.

You defo have the correct spring cup top's Tiff, the one's Gary aka Shwartz has are incorrect and are used in conjuction with the helper springs. I have a pair of AVO helper spring cup tops if you want and your welcome to them. If you look at this thread post 4 and check out the setup guide for the AVo GTZ page 3 and not the shape of the AS labelled part this is what Gary has has not got. You are basically using the Spax verison of that cup.

Spax setup loosely bolted together with spring adjuster right down bottom at mo but as it is the pic give you the image of what goes were with the OE setup, there were no other parts supplied with the Spax kit

Last edited by James5; 17-09-2010 at 16:03.

Post Thanks / Like

I would assume the sleeve nut was for a suspension rod that might have been to thin to fit nicely within the adjustable top and it would make it secure within

Post Thanks / Like

Lee, have you actually bolted the adjustable top mount straight to what you have yet??

So bolt it staight onto this (pic below) as matt5 says above you don't need the original rubber doughnut or the original bearing as the new top mount has it all built in.

Post Thanks / Like

You defo have the correct spring cup top's Tiff, the one's Gary aka Shwartz has are incorrect and are used in conjuction with the helper springs. I have a pair of AVO helper spring cup tops if you want and your welcome to them. If you look at this thread post 4 and check out the setup guide for the AVo GTZ page 3 and not the shape of the AS labelled part this is what Gary has has not got. You are basically using the Spax verison of that cup.

Spax setup loosely bolted together with spring adjuster right down bottom at mo but as it is the pic give you the image of what goes were with the OE setup, there were no other parts supplied with the Spax kit

james is selling dodgy parts again
    Mine have some how worked out quite well. I should be (if all goes to plan) dropping the car back down on the weekend so we will see how they work.

Post Thanks / Like

james is selling dodgy parts again
    Mine have some how worked out quite well. I should be (if all goes to plan) dropping the car back down on the weekend so we will see how they work.

Cheeky, glad i didn't sell Lee the rears after what happened to 1 of mine

You got it running yet Gary??

Post Thanks / Like

I would assume the sleeve nut was for a suspension rod that might have been to thin to fit nicely within the adjustable top and it would make it secure within
    I thought something like that also but they are intended for a 5 GTT and the thread of the spax is the same size as that on my phase 1 standard dampers so fook knows, the spherical bearing as it is fits perfectly over the damper shaft.

I haven't bolted them on yet because as it stands I can't see them working, the base of the mount is completely flat so once bolted on, the spring cup and spring for that matter isn't held in place by anything and can be puled side to side plus the mount isn't able to be adjusted camber wise as it is bolted square on.
    Last edited by tiff_lee; 17-09-2010 at 17:30.

Post Thanks / Like

i had to use those spacer nuts that came with the top mounts, but the top mounts didnt fit over the shaft. have you used those spacer washers to sort that?

Post Thanks / Like

Cheeky, glad i didn't sell Lee the rears after what happened to 1 of mine

You got it running yet Gary??
    no havind a little trouble i suspect the starter. (Thread in b18ft section

Post Thanks / Like

Those spacer/sleeve nuts that came with the top mount aren't even the same size thread as the coilover they're too small, however they do fit nicely inside the spherical bearing so i'm unsure of there intended purpose but then again maybe it is just a limited range of coilovers they work with?

I'm really stumped here, I must need some other part of some sort to make this work If I just bolt the top mount on the coilover as shown in post :39 there is nothing to hold the spring cup central as the underside of the mount is flat. Then there is the fact I have 2 flat faces bolted together so I wouldn't be able to adjust camber.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are going to give me nightmares!!!
    If you pay the postage to and from the codered workshop, I'll sort them for you!!! Pm me if you want.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok after some google action I found this thread

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/lofiv...hp/t91508.html

From the looks of the setup he is using in the final set of pics it seems ill need to source some new spring cups with a central locating hole for the damper shaft and also have the sleeve nut and spacer I received with the mount machined to the correct size (larger).

Good news a possible solution the bad news more chuffing $$$

Post Thanks / Like

my mounts came with a few different size spacer nut things il have a measure up and see if they are any good for ya

Post Thanks / Like

my mounts came with a few different size spacer nut things il have a measure up and see if they are any good for ya
    Cool cheers again, I have emailed compbrake see if they have any different ones I can exchange for just waiting to hear back.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got this sorted now well almost just need to assemble them once i'm back home.

The spring cup/top hat call it what you will I had with my spax (see post#10) was designed to be used with the original OE suspension components so I picked up a pair of these on ebay

and had them turned down a little and drilled to fit

Sometime I wish I had my own lathe as could of knocked these out myself