Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

My new 5 is missing many pipes!

Hi guys n gals

Ive purchased a new 5 as rust got the better of my old one.
    The new one has been in my garage for about a month now, i was waiting on the V5 to come back before i started work on her, and after having a good look yeasterday ive noticed she is missing a **** load of pipes, would anyone be able to take a look at the pics below and gimmie some pointers on where things need to go.

As you may have guessed i have only basic knowledge of 5's so be as basic as you can

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks

Jay

This one is spraying petrol when i rev the engine which is fun in a potentially burny kinda way!

Many things a miss here!
    I think the one on the turbo is supposed to supply oil to the turbo from somewhere?
    The long ish black hose coming from the bottom of the carb i have no idea?
    Im guessing the one on top of the rocker cover is some sort of oil vapour / breather thing, no idea where its supposed to go?
    Im guessing the thing with the electrical points at the bottom of the carb is some sort of sensor missing wires to somewhere?
    I have no idea what the little metal pipe coming off, near the top of the carb is?
    Im guess the round black thing at the top of the pic is some sort of filter that needs to go somewhere?

Now i think this could be an oil swirl pot

Heres two point of reference pics so you can see the whole engine

Once again thanks to anyone who can shed some light on where i need to connect these missing things up to.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My new 5 is missing many pipes!

Hi Jay,

Good to hear you're sticking with the breed!!

Right to help you out through the photo's:

The Hose you can see in the bottom right hand of this picture needs to go on that Brass Hose Tail.. If you've got Petrol coming out of that I think it may mean that the diaphram under that cover is split?? I'm sure a carb god will set me straight on that one?

I think the one on the turbo is supposed to supply oil to the turbo from somewhere? The Turbo oil Supply is the solid metal pipe on the top surface of the turbo housing just above your arrow. Nothing goes in the hole your arrow is pointing to.
    The long ish black hose coming from the bottom of the carb i have no idea? This is part of the Breather System
    Im guessing the one on top of the rocker cover is some sort of oil vapour / breather thing, no idea where its supposed to go? Yes this is part of the Breather System. This joins another pipe and ends up plugging into telephone shaped air hose that feeds the turbo.
    Im guessing the thing with the electrical points at the bottom of the carb is some sort of sensor missing wires to somewhere? That is the carb base sensor to run the anti perc fan. If you've not got an anti perc fan then don't worry about it.
    I have no idea what the little metal pipe coming off, near the top of the carb is? This is the fuel overflow pipe and should be connected to a pipe which just runs to the ground near the gearbox so if the carb overfills then the excess petrol is just disposed of on the floor & not into the engine bay.
    Im guess the round black thing at the top of the pic is some sort of filter that needs to go somewhere? That is a pressure air feed which would connect to a pipe which bolts into the turbo elbow in the back of the engine bay. If the metal pipe has been removed then I think it's part of the beloved cup mod?

Now i think this could be an oil swirl pot This is part of the breather system again & it should be connected to another pipe which runs back along the carb.

Hope that clears things up a bit mate?!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a few pics of mine for reference:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve - Raider View Post
    Here's a few pics of mine for reference:
    Show-off, show-off,
    Pick your nose and blow off!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The new Bill J View Post
    Show-off, show-off,
    Pick your nose and blow off!

Come & give us a big kiss bill! on my @RSE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve - Raider View Post
    Come & give us a big kiss bill! on my @RSE!

In your dreams, boyo

Just you wait until that protective layer gets scraped off of T-Cup

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I wana lick that engine bay.

Post Thanks / Like

1st picture:

The disconnected pipe in the bottom right of that picture connects onto the arrowed carb outlet - It's part of the acc' pump circuit. If it's leaking fuel, the diaphragm has split and needs replacing.

2nd picture, arrows from left to right:

Turbo water feed. It should really have a feed going to/from the turbo (unless that particular turbo is oil cooled only), but it's not the end of the world if you keep it running like that - Just means you may have to replace the oil a bit more often.

Rocker cover outlet connects to the spare outlet on the oil separator pot.

That carb outlet is a pressure ref' for the enrichment circuit, which also doubles as an overflow pipe should the 2nd stage diaphragm fail. Just needs a pipe running to atmosphere, but away from anything hot.

Breather connector that should have a 'T' piece in situ there. The opposite side of the 'T' connects to the air-filter/telephone hose (although it can/should be run to a catch tank instead), and the base connector of the 'T' piece runs around to a non-return valve on the back of the inlet manifold.

Carb base anti-perc' fan trigger switch. Not important to have connected, regardless of whether an anti-perc' fan is in situ or not. The sensor/switch on the turbo heatshield comes into action long before the carb base switch will.

Last arrow on the right is part of the boost compensation circuit - Should have a (metal) pipe that screws into the back of the turbo elbow.

3rd picture:

That's for the pipe that runs to the rocker cover outlet (mentioned above).

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh, too slow old man

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    Ahh, too slow old man
    Slow maybe, but you know what your on about!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    Ahh, too slow old man
    It doesn't matter. I mean, it's not like anyone's going to read that post anyway

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you may have the themostat missing from the top rad hose too!

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the help guys!
    I got alot of bit n bobs along with the car so ill have a root and see if any of the pipes are there, if not ill see if i can buy em off CGB or Fleabay, and then start to sort things out

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yammer5 View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys!
    I got alot of bit n bobs along with the car so ill have a root and see if any of the pipes are there, if not ill see if i can buy em off CGB or Fleabay, and then start to sort things out
    Get your arse down to the National Day tomorrow at Mallory Park in Leicestershire & you'll be able to get them all from Mike AKA Phase1 16v Turbo on the day for a lot less than you will from CGB or Ebay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The new Bill J View Post
    It doesn't matter. I mean, it's not like anyone's going to read that post anyway
    what post?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, glad your back on the site. I'll pop back round soon and give a helping hand. My 5 is getting close to being done now so soon i guess yours will be on there lol.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tony