Post Thanks / Like

PC help required

can any of you chaps help with the following:

I have a Dell dimension E520 which required a reformat to clear 4 years worth of crap off it. I proceeded to do it with a fresh copy of windows xp. It then blue screened on loading. So i removed the drive, checked it and loaded windows onto it from another pc. Loaded fine. Put hard drive into the dell, and it now blue screens on the windows logo. I think Dell have some sort of proprietry bios software incorporated on the windows load up locked, so they can charge you a fortune to replace components etc.

What you guys think, Help!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PC help required

You installed windows onto the dell hard drive while it was connected to another pc? that will cause problems in itself as the hardware will be different between the two machines.

Is it this Dell <CLICKY, what ram configuration do you have as blue screens as usually ram related.

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a copy of windows for Dell machines at home I think if you want to try that?

Post Thanks / Like

do you know the error it gave you on the blue screen?

Do you know if the Windows you are installing works?

How did you format the drive?

Did the computer have any problems (besides being slow) prior to installing windows again?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tiff_lee View Post
    You installed windows onto the dell hard drive while it was connected to another pc? that will cause problems in itself as the hardware will be different between the two machines.

Is it this Dell <CLICKY, what ram configuration do you have as blue screens as usually ram related.
    Yes thats the machine all though not a core 2 duo.
    Yes, loaded windows on another machine to try and then popped into the DEll. I have done this before with sucess on other Dell machines but this one wont have it. The machine worked fine before the reformat albeit really slow. I have tried alternating the ram modules and checked to see if they are ok. All working fine. Done a check disc, thats fine. removed all hardware to try and install windows, but it gets to a point and restarts on loop. The copy of windows works fine on the other machine.

Tried resetting the cmos taking the battery out and reset the passwords (if any) using the mb jumpers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post
    I have a copy of windows for Dell machines at home I think if you want to try that?

cheers niall, lets hope i dont need to

Post Thanks / Like

Install Windows on the hard disk,, while it is inside the DELL... NOT while its in another machine. When windows installs, it will install chipset and mobo drivers that is being detected while installation. If you try put the hdd onto another machine, the differences in hardware may be very different and not be able to load...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MATT C Ringworm Tuning View Post
    Yes thats the machine all though not a core 2 duo.
    Yes, loaded windows on another machine to try and then popped into the DEll. I have done this before with sucess on other Dell machines but this one wont have it. The machine worked fine before the reformat albeit really slow. I have tried alternating the ram modules and checked to see if they are ok. All working fine. Done a check disc, thats fine. removed all hardware to try and install windows, but it gets to a point and restarts on loop. The copy of windows works fine on the other machine.

Tried resetting the cmos taking the battery out and reset the passwords (if any) using the mb jumpers.
    you shouldnt need to do anything in the bios,, this wont help. Only thing you may need to change is the boot sequence,, js make sure its set to boot from CD.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MATT C Ringworm Tuning View Post
    I have tried alternating the ram modules and checked to see if they are ok. All working fine .
    What ram configuration do you have, i.e number of modules, size, rated speed, are they matched pairs etc

Post Thanks / Like

unless he's added some new RAM... that wont be the problem.... try reinstalling windows while the hdd is in the DELL itself first thing..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    unless he's added some new RAM... that wont be the problem.... try reinstalling windows while the hdd is in the DELL itself first thing..
    How can you be so sure? like ram doesn't fail?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tiff_lee View Post
    How can you be so sure? like ram doesn't fail?
    ok well.. Ram can fail. You can try using one stick at a time and seeing if it works. Cos its very unlikely that both ram have failed. Or you can to a memory test by using memory testing software..

Post Thanks / Like

I have already tried installing windows with it in the Dell, and also tried different ram modules from all of them to just one. When the hard drive is in the dell, it gets so far and then blue screens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    ok well.. Ram can fail. You can try using one stick at a time and seeing if it works. Cos its very unlikely that both ram have failed. Or you can to a memory test by using memory testing software..
    Of course it's unlikely they are both dodgy (if there is 2 sticks that is) or any for that matter it is just a possibility.

As per one of your previous posts windows should be installed while the hdd is in the dell machine (as per my first post) however Matt did say it bluescreened when doing so? hence why I suggested possible ram issue.

Post Thanks / Like

opps too slow

Post Thanks / Like

ok well... to me it sounds like one of either of these possibilities...

1) you didnt format it properly.. (slight chance) try deleting all partitions on the HDD then creating a new one(s) then format.

2) Could be faulty Hard disk (slight chance)-still may work on another machine cos it'l install onto slightly differenct clusters

3)Overheating (slight chance) you'll knw if it is cos the fans should be doing overtime,js make sure its not dusty in the pc.

4) Motherboard failure (medium chance) could be this if you have ruled out the RAM.

5) Installation CD scratched/damaged (medium chance)

6) Other Hardware fault (medium chance) try removing everything but the essentials to install windows and add hardware later *ie.. remove wireless cards or any other pci(e) card.. js use grafix,ram,hdd and install windows.

hope this helps..

Post Thanks / Like

Slim, if it's dying into a blue screen then it's already booting into the Windows sequence I presume? Would he then be able to force into a safe boot instead?

Post Thanks / Like

safe mode.... sory,, thats the first thing i would of tried. sorry for not mentioning that