Post Thanks / Like

172 issues

Well I've posted on Clio sport with no advice.

Right team my Clio went in limp mode last night started revving high on idle 2k-3k called aa out did a diagnostic test fault came up accel pedal sensor ,started this morning came out of limp mode and just holds revs now high ??

Could this be pedal ? Throttle body ?? Or coil pack ?
    Also what code reader do I buy of eBay to work on a 172 phase 2

Thanks team matt

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 172 issues

You'll not get a lot of response off Cliosport unless you post something about Cleaning or tuners!

Could it be something to do with the Idle Control Valve which is on the back of the inlet plenum? Millie's plays up sometimes & I just give it a clean with some spray cleaner & it sorts itsef out.

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve - Raider View Post
    You'll not get a lot of response off Cliosport unless you post something about Cleaning or tuners!

Could it be something to do with the Idle Control Valve which is on the back of the inlet plenum? Millie's plays up sometimes & I just give it a clean with some spray cleaner & it sorts itsef out.

It's a phase 2 so doesn't have the idle control valve as it will have fly by wire TB. My first thought was idle control valve then I read the phase 2 part, I would prob say take the Flyby wireTB off and give it a clean up.

With ref to code reader you need an OBD-II reader to plug in and then type the code you get into the google box on the internet and it will tell you what it is (that is if you loose the code book like me )
    Last edited by James5; 21-07-2010 at 10:42.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks james and steve ,will get a code reader ,I have bought a accel pedal got to fit that ,will check throttle body also ! Could it be coil pack ??

Thanks again matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gtmatt View Post
    Thanks james and steve ,will get a code reader ,I have bought a accel pedal got to fit that ,will check throttle body also ! Could it be coil pack ??

Thanks again matt

Faulty coilpack would prob cause missfire's I doubt it will cause high revs, I have an OBD-II reader if you fancy borrowing it? it's simple literally plug it in and do the scan's it will give you codes and then as said just type them into google and it will tell you what they are if any found that is.

If the AA done the test the OBD-II reader will prob give the same error code aswell, might be worth clenaing the other bits up as said above and changing the accel pedal sensor as the phase 2 TB is electronically controlled and not cable like a phase 1.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the offer James ,going to buy ,cheers for the advice will let u all know my findings thanks matt

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    (that is if you loose the code book like me )

James, I don't think you've lost it....

In the process of moving house I found a book full of codes... I think it may well be your scanner book!

PM me ur address and I'll bang it in the post, sorry dude, musn't of given you it back!

Committee member
    Rats Nest Tuning
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt, Also check the breather that goes from the top of the rocker cover to the carbon canister or the seal around the bottom of the plenum havent split and are causing an air leak.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ashy View Post
    James, I don't think you've lost it....

In the process of moving house I found a book full of codes... I think it may well be your scanner book!

PM me ur address and I'll bang it in the post, sorry dude, musn't of given you it back!

Cheers Nial, pm your way

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like an air leak, as ya man Ashy said. Might also be worth checking the coolant sensor hasn't gone up the spout, and that the pedal/throttle pot' isn't 'noisy'.

Have you tried disconnecting the battery, leaving it a good while to allow the ecu to 'reset', then seeing what happens after reconnecting the battery?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    Sounds like an air leak, as ya man Ashy said. Might also be worth checking the coolant sensor hasn't gone up the spout, and that the pedal/throttle pot' isn't 'noisy'.

Have you tried disconnecting the battery, leaving it a good while to allow the ecu to 'reset', then seeing what happens after reconnecting the battery?

done a master reset on ecu ,to drop out the caps in the system.

I will check for air leaks but obd said accel pedal ?? which is a 4 track potentionmoter ,i have looked at this no issues.

took of the throttle body cleaned and re fitted still the same , revs holding at 2k-3k

thanks you all for your help matt

Post Thanks / Like

What resistance you getting on that pedal pot'? A sniff on Google should point to what the idle/rest & w.o.t position resistances are.

Post Thanks / Like

Defo check the coolant sensor as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve - Raider View Post

this is for Steve as it's PH1 related...

I removed mine and filed off the rivets to get the TB apart, there was a lot of oily build up around the seal, I could give it a much better clean in bits. Used 2 M4(?) bolts to hold it all together. I don't think you can clean it properly with spray.

OP - try blocking the TB, if the engine keeps running you have an air leak in the plenum. Also, unless you monitor the pot with an oscilloscope you won't see the damage unless it's completely fooked, which clearly it isn't as the car runs.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought but you can check for faults on the dash (like a self diagnostic)

with ignition off press and hold the right indicater button on the end, after a few seconds switch ignition on then release the indicater button

It will go through a cycle and all the dial needles will go mental and all the dashpod symbals will light up

If you then press i think the right button on the trip computer you can go through to fault codes ie: t----h, something like that should appear, That one is an injecter fault quite common i beleive
    Write down what you see and you can relate with the one like google

To come out of it just turn ignition off,

You can also start the car in this mode, but not ideal as you wont know what speed your going!

Hope thats some help

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Cooke View Post
    this is for Steve as it's PH1 related...

I removed mine and filed off the rivets to get the TB apart, there was a lot of oily build up around the seal, I could give it a much better clean in bits. Used 2 M4(?) bolts to hold it all together. I don't think you can clean it properly with spray.

OP - try blocking the TB, if the engine keeps running you have an air leak in the plenum. Also, unless you monitor the pot with an oscilloscope you won't see the damage unless it's completely fooked, which clearly it isn't as the car runs.
    I think its quite common for the inlet plenium egg shaped seal to leak

Post Thanks / Like

accelerator problems are common, u can try a used known good one as there not coded. You can check idle and wot but its not that simple usually. u have to watch the graph readings of the 4sensors and watch for any discrepencies.

Post Thanks / Like

Just get your gtt on the road, much more reliable!
    Last edited by GTphil; 22-07-2010 at 14:25.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gtmatt View Post
    Well I've posted on Clio sport with no advice
    Shocker

No dig at you but CS is pants, thought i'd get some good advise off there too and got nothing

RTOC FTW

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 172 FBwire thottle bodie, ill send it down if it helps pay if not return?

AG

Post Thanks / Like

The signal from the pedal sensors and throttle sensors are usually opposites. eg 2 on the pedal when at wot will be 4.5v and 0.5v then as you return to idle the pedal would be 0.5v and 4.5v

Ill try make that clearer, one of the 2 on the pedal will start at 0.5v then rise gradually and evenly as you reach wot at 4.5v the other sensor should do the opposite start at 4.5v then gradually decrease to 0.5v pretty sure thats the renault way. some manufacturers are half eg one is at 4.4v wot and the other is 2.2vwot