Post Thanks / Like

really pissed off.

Well peeps, I've been an idiot, the story:

My Gt had been making some not so pleasant whining noises from it's gearbox, so with massive thanks to Dangerous Dave (who supplied the replacement, top fella ) I pulled the engine out and swapped the boxes over. It was at this point I'd decided to fit the recently purchased (from a member on here) shiny powder coated rocker cover.

Fifteen miles later and my oil pressure gauge is reading slightly lower than it should, so I drive it very gently home (was only a mile or so away) thinking I'd not tightened a hose correctly and maybe running low on oil. Get home and the exhaust is belching blue smoke and my oil pressure is nigh on .1 bar at idle.

Popped the turbo off and there was no oil residue in the exhaust manifold but loads in the elbow, so stuck on my spare turbo fired it up and no more smoke, problem cured or so I thought, still had slightly lower than normal oil pressure so idled the engine till warm and the pressure dropped off again. Decided to drop the sump in case the pressure relief valve was sticking open or something, this was not the case, the problem was much worse.

Turns out whoever powder coated the rocker cover didn't pay enough attention to cleaning out the grit when they'd finished sandblasting it, a **** load was hidden behind the baffle plate, i'd have though the postman would've dislodged most of it kicking it around the depot, obviously not, it's ok though my engine oil washed it all out, needless to say my engines internals are now mush, and the shiny rocker cover? Mashed with the biggest hammer I could find.

Wish I'd never bothered buying it and just repainted the flaky original, but it was only £17 so seemed a good deal. Hope this tale of woe prevents something similar happening to anyone else.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: really pissed off.

Post Thanks / Like

I sandblasted a spare cam cover for my car. I haven't fitted it yet, but I spent nearly 2 hours cleaning it out afterwards. The baffles hold old oil which turns to sludge and the only way you're going to get it out is with a strong de-greaser and a powerful airline, which I had to hand.

I wouldn't recommend sand blasting parts like that though. There are chemicals available that will strip the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam L View Post
    I sandblasted a spare cam cover for my car. I haven't fitted it yet, but I spent nearly 2 hours cleaning it out afterwards. The baffles hold old oil which turns to sludge and the only way your going to get it out is with a strong de-greaser and a powerful airline, which I had to hand.

I wouldn't recommend sand blasting parts like that though. There are chemicals available that will strip the paint.
    Yeah I shouldn't have used it, hence the I'm an idiot comment, I was lured by the shiny finish, shan't do that again. C'est la vie.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm thats as bad as sand in your jam sarnie at the beach, or a crunch in your ice cream at the beach...

Well its an excuse to change a few bits dude chin up

Post Thanks / Like

Every cloud has a silver lining, I now work in an engine builders, my new block has been introduced to the Bupi this evening:

and tomorrow night it will be dropped into an acid bath

Classifieds Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

thats a propper wanger

onwards and upwards tho, no time to waste worrying about the what ifs etc. get that fecker sorted out and back in, with a new rocker cover

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Toby, good to talk the other can't believe that a fecking rocker caused all that. I feel for you.

I can see my old C1J block is going to get treated well in a bupi, then acid dipping.

Looking forward to seeing you all back up and running again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    Toby, good to talk the other can't believe that a fecking rocker caused all that. I feel for you.

I can see my old C1J block is going to get treated well in a bupi, then acid dipping.

Looking forward to seeing you all back up and running again
    Hey James, ta muchly for the new block and oil pump mate, really helped me out, hope your five is all good and sorted now.