Post Thanks / Like

Side exit exhaust???

Hi all,
    My 5 has a side exit exhaust, what advantages does this have over a "normal" pipe out the back. I think its a tiger???? system. Only asking because of the amount of speedbumps where i live. Oh and it's pretty loud and i go to work at 5 in the morning

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Side exit exhaust???

I've had complaints that mine's too loud! It's very low... catches and scrapes on everything, however the pops and bangs it gives out are just awesome

Post Thanks / Like

Get yer local body shop to cut into the sill where it exits, flange it and raise it up a few inches. This stops it scuffing on anything.

Or do it yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

TBH, I doubt you'd really notice much difference over an aftermarket rear exit exhaust in terms of performance. The theory is that the shorter pipe run offers less restriction. I have one, but just because I love the sound!

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same system. It is loud, mine roughly measured 102Db at Castle Coombe. So at 5 in the morning I think you might get some complaints

I noticed a big difference in performance. I did a trackday and had to re-fit my old rear exit system because of the noise restrictions, and noticed a massive difference in throttle response etc. It all depends on what setup you have, engine spec, boost levels. Do you have the bigger downpipe that ktec sell I think its 2.5" bore, if you have the smaller one it may restrict it slightly.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

side exit all the way, my route has to be planned as i catch the pebbles in the road but they sound cool.

Mat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g10far View Post
    I have the same system. It is loud, mine roughly measured 102Db at Castle Coombe. So at 5 in the morning I think you might get some complaints

I noticed a big difference in performance. I did a trackday and had to re-fit my old rear exit system because of the noise restrictions, and noticed a massive difference in throttle response etc. It all depends on what setup you have, engine spec, boost levels. Do you have the bigger downpipe that ktec sell I think its 2.5" bore, if you have the smaller one it may restrict it slightly.
    Yes 2.5 down pipe, and i take it that goes straight to the side pipe. Can i fit an exhaust that goes straight to the back off the Down pipe?? Then i can start looking for a quiter exhaust
    P.S sorry for the newb questions

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

id have thought all exhausts go straight onto the downpipe (elbow) and you can pick em up fairly cheap (second hand), seen several stainless for 50 squid

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wolvo View Post
    id have thought all exhausts go straight onto the downpipe (elbow) and you can pick em up fairly cheap (second hand), seen several stainless for 50 squid
    Not all.

Post Thanks / Like

duno if its just me but ive had major problems with my standard scorpion exaust,
    where it kinks over the axel at the back. when theres 2 or more people in the car it vibrates like f**k makin a awful noise, ive tried every think to sort it so now im gona go the sdey route

do the 2.5 sideys fit the ktec 2.25 downpipe??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phase i 16 v turbo View Post
    Not all.

Most then???
    Any examples - Scorpion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TNT ANDY View Post
    Get yer local body shop to cut into the sill where it exits, flange it and raise it up a few inches. This stops it scuffing on anything.

Or do it yourself.

This is the way forward, if your worried about noise add another box

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kayzee View Post
    I've had complaints that mine's too loud! It's very low... catches and scrapes on everything, however the pops and bangs it gives out are just awesome

Post Thanks / Like

I have tig welded a stainless "bash guard" onto the bottom of my silencer on my tiger sidey....works wonders. I know J£$GTT has done something similar

Post Thanks / Like

let it rip the streets up and growl at old women stood outside the post office!!!!

if your neighbours dont like it, run their cats over and nail them to their fences!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Holy crap but I like cats...

I'd rather just run my neighbours over tbh, one of them has a right attitude! "I don't care if it's a bloody turbo stop revving your car!" manual chokes don't go down to well around here.

By the way, whilst I'm talking about, what is the car meant to rev up to on start up? Mine nears on 4k before I let it off slightly!? I drive off when it's down to around 2-2.5k.

Post Thanks / Like

Holy crap but I like cats...

I'd rather just run my neighbours over tbh, one of them has a right attitude! "I don't care if it's a bloody turbo stop revving your car!" manual chokes don't go down to well around here.

By the way, whilst I'm talking about, what is the car meant to rev up to on start up? Mine nears on 4k before I let it off slightly!? I drive off when it's down to around 2-2.5k.
    I don't bother with the choke, and just control the idle with my foot. I never let it go over 2k RPM whilst the engine is cold.

Post Thanks / Like

i used to run a ktec sidey on mine but found that i was hitting it on everything. in the end i went to see my mate at local powerblow dealer who made me a 2.5" rear exit system. its a nice loudness that isnt unbareable on a long drive.

as for the choke, i removed my choke flap and just use the choke cable and mechanism onthe carb for a fast idle from cold. it never goes about 2k on fast idle and it also makes for a good "cruise control"

Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear is it worrying that mine shoots past 3.5k every time on idle start up then!? Could this be something to do with it over fuelling, as I was told it was doing from the previous owner. I mean tbh that's what's making it so loud will constantly over fuelling harm the car? Not that it's doing it a major amount I don't believe...

Post Thanks / Like

sorry for a bit of a thread hi jack but thought it would be betetr than starting a new thread
    am thinking of getting a full side exit on my 5 its lowered 40mm on original speed lines
    i aint botherd about speed bumps as i avoid them any way but how much clearence will i have on the road?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mightymanx View Post
    sorry for a bit of a thread hi jack but thought it would be betetr than starting a new thread
    am thinking of getting a full side exit on my 5 its lowered 40mm on original speed lines
    i aint botherd about speed bumps as i avoid them any way but how much clearence will i have on the road?
    plenty on normal roads

Post Thanks / Like

isle of man roads aint like a moter way my roads are fulla bumps