Post Thanks / Like

aghhh paint advice again regarding turbines

ok, just painted a set of turbines in a black with a very small amount of metalic in it.

however ive got the paint on etc and just noticed that i missed a few bits between the fins.

Also the paint has gone very orange peeley, dispite me deliving constant 29psi as the gun asks for.

Im going to scotch them up again and give them a couple more coats to hopefully solve both these problems however how should i remove the orange peel, there to intricate to flat and polish, I put the paint on plenty think and havnt had a single run but just lots of horrid orange peel.

Im using a devilbiss gti trans tech 110 1.3. and the paints a 2k ( no lacquer required)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: aghhh paint advice again regarding turbines

maybe its the wrong air pressure,you sure there is no oil residue on there to?
    probably a case of going through the sanding regime an starting again??

Post Thanks / Like

orange peel is either from to high a temp when spraying /activator to fast for paint/low pressure at gun tip/and also technique/or all or some of the mentioned together, if its a quality 2k you should be mixing it 2:1 add 5-10% thinner this will help it flow and give you a flatter finish but be careful,idealy you need to flat them back,orange peel can reflect though on final finish as it would take quite alot of paint to cover up the uneveness
    when i was a paint sprayer we used standox and also mipa for cheaper jobs

BUT WE ALWAYS SENT WHEELS AWAY AS TO TIME CONSUMING AND CHEAPER FOR A PROFFESIONAL TO DO THEM!

Post Thanks / Like

yea paint mix was all spot on, im going to blame the finish on the high temps, as it was very very warm in the gazebo.

Im thinking im just going to get them sand blasted/ powder coated

Post Thanks / Like

yeah it will look alot better for it,if you put them on now it would just niggle at you because you will know were all the inperfections are

Post Thanks / Like

How many coats? How much thinners? You can use more than 2 bar air pressure if you like I paint at around 2.5bar or maybe more. Its all about atmosization, you should be able to tell if you are achieving this by seeing a fine mist of paint on a piece of paper and the paint particles are all uniform, dont use too much air though as this will mess the fan pattern up, you will end up with with a fan pattern that is top and bottom heavy. Is the air cap clean? If any of the holes are slightly ****ted up the fan is ruined.

Post Thanks / Like

true,true,but he is using a gti gun which is HVLP (high volume low pressure)
    should'nt be needing to use over 2 bar!!!

Post Thanks / Like

i used about 10% thinners, with regards to coats they had 3 full coats, however even with throttleing the gun right back it was very difficult to paint inside the fins ( remember these are turbines) and i imagine the areas around the blades recieved many more then 3 coats of paint.