Post Thanks / Like

Am I Too Old Now????

Had my 5 now for about 18 years i was just 19 when i bought it im now 38 almost 39!!!! i love my 5 gtt i have been a RTOC member for years and years now!! way back even just before RACH H then i think it was Bruce for a while!!!

I have been in armed forces all that time and spent alot of my life out of the country, coming into my last 18months of my 22 years now and i am gonna retire!! i will be 40!!!!
    Sometimes i feel when i am driving my 5 i am just too old!!!
    I have modern cars My daily runner is an Audi A3 tdi!! but they are sooo boring!!!
    Just thinking maybe now is the time to let go and sell the old girl!!!

any other older members out there now who may help me change my mind and keep the 5!!!?

South West Regional Rep jesus in the seat of a 5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Am I Too Old Now????

Phil, not just with being jesus etc ... but i am ancient mate , ive had the 5 crisis too but trust me , these cars are classics, especially standard or original cup cars etc etc , so correct me if im wrong but arent ole foggies meant to drive "classics"?.., anyway , as soon as youve sold it youll start seeing them everywhere and youll be gutted , put yours back to standard as poss, master your man boobs and be proud of your steed....cos shes worth it.......

ps , i hear you need two seats after much nonsense on the classifieds.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jesus in the seat of a 5 View Post
    Phil, not just with being jesus etc ... but i am ancient mate , ive had the 5 crisis too but trust me , these cars are classics, especially standard or original cup cars etc etc , so correct me if im wrong but arent ole foggies meant to drive "classics"?.., anyway , as soon as youve sold it youll start seeing them everywhere and youll be gutted , put yours back to standard as poss, master your man boobs and be proud of your steed....cos shes worth it.......

ps , i hear you need two seats after much nonsense on the classifieds.....

Yeah i forgot there are other oldies out there!!!
    I am in the process of turning her back standard hence why i need the 2 seats!!!
    yeah bit of hard work getting them but a lad in southampton may have 2 i need.
    How hard is it to convert a passenger seat to a drivers??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phil W View Post
    Yeah i forgot there are other oldies out there!!!
    I am in the process of turning her back standard hence why i need the 2 seats!!!
    yeah bit of hard work getting them but a lad in southampton may have 2 i need.
    How hard is it to convert a passenger seat to a drivers??
    ..phil i know your old etc but you didnt get the hint regards seats...

Post Thanks / Like

Don't sell it mate! It makes more sence for someone your age to own one because you were driving when they came out and you've owned it for that long! Cars like these only get cooler as they get older

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benj88 View Post
    Don't sell it mate! It makes more sence for someone your age to own one because you were driving when they came out and you've owned it for that long! Cars like these only get cooler as they get older
    yeah , just like the owners........

Post Thanks / Like

yeah , just like the owners........
    That's the game Jesus

Post Thanks / Like

Keep it... if you enjoy it why change that for what other peeps may think.... fook em... your life... ...

Post Thanks / Like

as above, bollock to what you think other people think you should be driving, if you like it, what the f**k does it matter what others think?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rob@Backyardracing View Post
    Keep it... if you enjoy it why change that for what other peeps may think.... fook em... your life... ...

Post Thanks / Like

keep it . i've had mine for nearly 1 year. only been on the road for 3 months and loving every minute by the way i'm 46

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, fcuk everyone honestly though, we shouldn't give a flying teapot what other people think, it used to bother me in the maxpower days but not anymore

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 35, sold my GTT last year (or was it the year before ?) & I really regret it, I reckon I may be back in the seat of a GTT again soon.....

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers guys you have man an oldish man very happy!! **** em all I am keeping the 5 forever( well untill it falls apart anyway)!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers guys you have man an oldish man very happy!! **** em all I am keeping the 5 forever( well untill it falls apart anyway)!!
    If it does, and i am not saying it will, make sure you buy another one. I always do

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

thats the idea im as old as you : old car old bloke still p*** scoobys off wot more to say

Post Thanks / Like

keep it...... im 34.iv had the 5 for about 14 years now.
    when ever im feeling to old for it i just tuck it away in the garage for a while. then when i get it out again i feel like im 19 again.

Post Thanks / Like

think about this....

if you see a triumph TR7, you expect to see a hairdresser over 40 in it.

if you see a sierra cosworth , you expect to see a bald tattooed man with alot of gold jewellery, in his late 30's onwards.

if you see a saxo, you expect a spotty herbert in his 20's to be in it.

a 5 is of a certain era, and you expect people in their 30's to be driving them.

im 34 and my mk1 5 is my daily driver....

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

That's exactly what I was going to say!

I've got a five becasue when I was 19 (some 16 years ago) the 5GTT's were the SHIZZ & I bust a gut to get one & have been hooked since!!

I NEVER get a bad reaction from driving mine just lots of stories from other people who used to own one & miss theirs!!

In fact I've just got home from taking mine for a run to get some food & took a ride through the town centre on the way home and whilst waiting for a set of lights to change I heard a shout from outside a pub "WOW, Renault 5 Turbo!"

If you were a young man in the 80's/Early 90's it's the car from your youth so it's RIGHT for you to have one!!

I'll never be selling mine that's a fact & i'm sure of!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Makes a change me being one of the youngest people on a car forum (I'm 25) but it's a nice change keep it, if not you'll just end up buying another one anyway...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve - Raider View Post
    That's exactly what I was going to say!

I've got a five becasue when I was 19 (some 16 years ago) the 5GTT's were the SHIZZ & I bust a gut to get one & have been hooked since!!

I NEVER get a bad reaction from driving mine just lots of stories from other people who used to own one & miss theirs!!

In fact I've just got home from taking mine for a run to get some food & took a ride through the town centre on the way home and whilst waiting for a set of lights to change I heard a shout from outside a pub "WOW, Renault 5 Turbo!"

If you were a young man in the 80's/Early 90's it's the car from your youth so it's RIGHT for you to have one!!

I'll never be selling mine that's a fact & i'm sure of!!!
    Ditto. Even shipped mine out to Oz with me such was (is) the love for these little cars!

Post Thanks / Like

if youve had the car for so long i wouldnt even think about selling, there considered a classic now, i havent seen a 5 on a road near me in a easy 12 months, for what the car owes you and what ud get in return, its a no brainer.
    KEEP!

Post Thanks / Like

Its in the blood

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

I am of the same age and have several R5 GT Turbos and intend to keep it this way. Keep it!!!

As of late is quite often people of our age that are buying them, popping round to pick up parts and restoring them to OE.

Post Thanks / Like

Although I'm 22 most of my favourite cars are old

cav 4x4 turbo, saph cossworth, rs turbos, e30s, nova gsi

iv lost count of the amount of times a random person I don't no has spoke to me about my car, or people staring at it, although some of the cars above are classics I still think the Renault 5 gt turbo gets that little bit more respect! And as they age more it's only goin to be better and worth more

Post Thanks / Like

Although I'm 22 most of my favourite cars are old

cav 4x4 turbo, saph cossworth, rs turbos, e30s, nova gsi
    Same here mate, don't know why, I think it's just because these older cars have more character!

Rather than all the generic cars of today. Drove past a beautiful 3 door Sierra Cosworth last night, in black with standard wheels in white... tbh thought he'd at least give a glance in the R5's way lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Well mine did start out very standard!! with just 4000k on the clock and less than 9 months old!!! I wasnt even planning on getting it, i had just come back from a long 8 months away protecting queen and country, and i had a wad of cash burning a hole in my pocket, i was actually out with A few mates on the beer and i walked passed renault dealer in portsmouth called Linningtons and i saw it there in the showroom!!

it was love at first sight and even though i had had a few beers i couldnt drive it but that did not stop me sitting in it and loving it!!!!

£1000 deposit down there and then and i came back in 3 days and picked it up!! i never even test drove it!!! but i at the time did already have a renault 5 special edition car called an 'EVENT' anyone remember them?

And here we are many years later still got it!!

Currently it has a few mods the engine is mainly standard still it has never been apart, never blown a head gasket!!! it has a bigger turbo and sfs hoses throughout, oh and a dump valve!!!
    Interior has Corbeau GTS recliner seats which i am now getting rid and sticking standards back in.

So yeah Fcuk it i am gonna leave the engine as it it but gonna try and get it looking OE again, retro is in!

Post Thanks / Like

Great story phil, I wish I could have seen a Renault 5 gt turbo in a showroom, it's great how you have owned it that long, although my car has been restored it's had a few previous owners! Some may have looked after it some may not have.. But it's in good hands now

so keep yours and look after it mate!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kayzee View Post
    Same here mate, don't know why, I think it's just because these older cars have more character!

Rather than all the generic cars of today. Drove past a beautiful 3 door Sierra Cosworth last night, in black with standard wheels in white... tbh thought he'd at least give a glance in the R5's way lol.
    Yeh totaly agree mate, character is the word!

When you see an old car it's just nothing like what else is on the road, you see an evo it's like "yeh that's smart" see a lambo You just think yeh that's nice ya rich **** but old school it's a reeeeespect!!

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you shouted out; "FAIL" in reply

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The new Bill J View Post
    I hope you shouted out; "FAIL" in reply
    shut it you....an go and clean your 5 turbo.......

Post Thanks / Like

shut it you....an go and clean your 5 turbo.......

I've got two Renault 5 Turbo's, and they're both in plastic display cases so they don't need cleaning

Sorry for the hijack Phil . In answer to your question, as has been said plenty of times - No, you're not too old.

Although I remember a post by one of the RTOC's '5 minute members' of the past. When someone posted saying that they were in their 30's, they replied something along the lines of: 'Well I think it's quite sad driving a gtt at your age. When I'm in my 30's I want to be cruising around in a Lexus!'

I can't remember the members name, but they were actually being serious

Post Thanks / Like

You're never too old to own a gtt.

I came very close to selling Whitey this week; in fact it was a done deal, but for some daft reason I just can't part with it, hence it looks like the Jap taxi will probably be going instead.

I must be mad, or sad, or both but as I've always said, it's in the blood

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post

I came very close to selling Whitey this week; in fact it was a done deal, but for some daft reason I just can't part with it, hence it looks like the Jap taxi will probably be going instead.

Good Lad!!!

Post Thanks / Like

i have been feeling that way of late mainley since i hit 30 but since i have had the car from 19 i cant bring my self to sell.

Post Thanks / Like

Good Lad!!!
    Funnily enough, Bekki doesn't see it that way...

Post Thanks / Like

I love seeing older people driving around in amazing old-school cars.

Keep hold of it if you love it

Post Thanks / Like

Just think, if you sold it and saw somebody else driving your car after you've owned it all that time, it would be like it was cheating on you. I dont think i could bare seing someone else have all that fun in my car. *wondering wether i should actually be sharing these feelings with other people*

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post

Quality.
    I just can't get rid either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    Just think, if you sold it and saw somebody else driving your car after you've owned it all that time, it would be like it was cheating on you. I dont think i could bare seing someone else have all that fun in my car. *wondering wether i should actually be sharing these feelings with other people*
    I sold my old white gtt to Penfold last year, after owning it for 10 years. Although the car's not back on the road yet, it's really weird seeing Chris post pics of it as his. God knows how I'd feel seeing it at an event

Post Thanks / Like

i feel for ya.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    if you see a sierra cosworth , you expect to see a bald tattooed man with alot of gold jewellery, in his late 30's onwards.
    How true!

Post Thanks / Like

Had my 5 now for about 18 years i was just 19 when i bought it im now 38 almost 39!!!! i love my 5 gtt i have been a RTOC member for years and years now!! way back even just before RACH H then i think it was Bruce for a while!!!

I have been in armed forces all that time and spent alot of my life out of the country, coming into my last 18months of my 22 years now and i am gonna retire!! i will be 40!!!!
    Sometimes i feel when i am driving my 5 i am just too old!!!
    I have modern cars My daily runner is an Audi A3 tdi!! but they are sooo boring!!!
    Just thinking maybe now is the time to let go and sell the old girl!!!

any other older members out there now who may help me change my mind and keep the 5!!!?

I'm in the same boat, so to speak. Been a five owner since 1990 & had my current Ph2 for 8yrs. I tucked it away in my garage from 04 - 09 because I'd lost interest. I put it back on the road July 09 & just used it when the mood took me, as long as it wasn't raining that is. About a month ago I decided to put it back in the garage for the forseable future as I've lost interest again, I like tinkering & polishing, but don't really enjoy driving it at the moment. Don't no if its the loud exhaust, the rock solid suspension, or just my age lol.

I think the biggest factor is I really enjoy driving my impreza & I think that has spoiled the fun factor of the 5. After nearly 4yrs of ownership I still love it.

If money & space arent an issue then keep it. I've toyed with the idea of selling mine, but can't bring myself to do it. yet