Post Thanks / Like

Time has come to give up working on 5's

Well after a long think about it i have decided that its time for me to stop doing all the work on 5's/renaults now, not just a break but i think for good now.

I've been doing it for a long time now and its got to the point i'm out every weekend either round my garage or somewhere across the country fixing, repairing or collecting a car/bits for jobs.
    It was enjoyable at first as i do like to feel i've kept another one of these cars on the road and in a much healthier condition then they were before but recently its started to wear off and i'm not enjoying it as much as before, also its taking so much of my time up that i don't get much to myself anymore and my cars are being neglected way too much so i intend to focus all my time on these now, the red 5 especially is looking sorry for itself so will get the most attention.

Maybe one day i may start to do abit more work if people need it but for the time being i'm calling it quits now so i'm not going to be avaliable to do anymore work on these.
    I have promised 2 people on here i would sort there cars so they will be the last i do.

I'll still be avaliable for advice as usual so not going to dissappear or anything.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Time has come to give up working on 5's

Quote Originally Posted by Markey Mark (BD) View Post
    its taking so much of my time up that i don't get much to myself anymore and my cars are being neglected way too much so i intend to focus all my time on these now, the red 5 especially is looking sorry for itself so will get the most attention
    Too right cheif!!!

We're all looking forward to seeing the Red Beastie out of the garage & in the flesh sometime soon!!

Don't blame you from stepping back to concentrate on your cars!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markey Mark (BD) View Post

.....so not going to dissappear or anything.
    DAMN!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The new Bill J View Post
    DAMN!
    Always count on Bill to be supportive!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Did working on my car send you into early retirement, thats a shame dude, but you only get one life soo you got to live it, hopefully i'm one of those 2 people.

Post Thanks / Like

i know where your coming from mark when you refer to having no time to do your own stuff.
    you defo know your sh1t it'll be good to see the red 5 finished

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wrightygtt View Post
    Did working on my car send you into early retirement, thats a shame dude, but you only get one life soo you got to live it, hopefully i'm one of those 2 people.
    No don't worry it wasn't your car mate! Haha!

Yeah your car is still being done mate not to worry.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey man goo dluck with the Red one. Im lucky to have had ya on my side when things needed doing on my motors and it will always be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Mark deserves a huge pat on the back for the time and comittment he has shown towards the club and it's members.

I can appreciate you calling it quits as I know how much you want your Red beast back on the 'road'. Sometimes you forget how much enjoyment there is working on your own car when youre spending so much time on everyone elses car

A top fcuking bloke who knows his stuff

efi-parts.co.uk
    Post Thanks / Like

It gets sickening after a few years doesn't it. you'll feel loads better when you knock it on the head and after a few weeks you'll be itching to get on with your own stuff instead. As you know I went through exactly the same thing a couple of years ago, so talking from experience. I have a new work ethic these days too, it might be something you could emply yourself. If I'm booked to work/tune a car I make sure I do it in the week. I take time off to do it if neccessary, so ofcourse it needs to be finacially viable also. I'll never work on a weekend (ok, odd exceptions) and that way no matter how busy you get you've always got the weekend to yourself.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
    I think Mark deserves a huge pat on the back for the time and comittment he has shown towards the club and it's members.

I can appreciate you calling it quits as I know how much you want your Red beast back on the 'road'. Sometimes you forget how much enjoyment there is working on your own car when youre spending so much time on everyone elses car

A top fcuking bloke who knows his stuff

Totally agree.

People like Mark are what this club needs more of.

Post Thanks / Like

welcome to the club mate.

only so much time and energy you can spend on other peoples cars/lives before you realise that you've neglected your own.

i've come away from 10years of renault 5-dom with a dodgy back and a screwed up neck. hope you're in better shape than me.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers for the heads up that your pulling the plug mate ! laugh:

To be honest we were getting miles to busy sorting out everybodies cars rather than our own !

I will still be around if you need work doing depending on where in the world you are, but at pressent I can't store you cars as this was always done @ Marks place.

I'm sure one day will be back but for now as Mark has said its time to sort the home life out.

Post Thanks / Like

There just ain't enough hours in the day bud.. even if there were 48 I'm sure we'd stilll struggle to fit it all in

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    welcome to the club mate.

only so much time and energy you can spend on other peoples cars/lives before you realise that you've neglected your own

Same hymn sheet here too.

Good darts Markey. You'll start to appreciate weekends/your own time much more.

Post Thanks / Like

i've come away from 10years of renault 5-dom with a dodgy back and a screwed up neck. hope you're in better shape than me. [/quote]

Ha i'm with you there Sparkie although not just 5's but all all cars i've worked on! My knees are shot although the back seems to be holding out. I feel every car related effort these days, including the other day lifting Ashy's 182 engine with all ancilliaries into his garage and blowing out my arse! The next day felt like i'd been at the gym all week.

Post Thanks / Like

After saturdays heavy sun i dont blame you. i got home and was out for the count

Mark, we still got a few things to do to mine and the campus etc but im in there like swimwear to lend a hand on these and the red 5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoff View Post
    It gets sickening after a few years doesn't it. you'll feel loads better when you knock it on the head and after a few weeks you'll be itching to get on with your own stuff instead. As you know I went through exactly the same thing a couple of years ago, so talking from experience. I have a new work ethic these days too, it might be something you could emply yourself. If I'm booked to work/tune a car I make sure I do it in the week. I take time off to do it if neccessary, so ofcourse it needs to be finacially viable also. I'll never work on a weekend (ok, odd exceptions) and that way no matter how busy you get you've always got the weekend to yourself.
    Totally agree with you mate, i hate to say it but i've found myself starting to hate the cars i felt if i didn't stop soon then i would have given up on everything to do with the 5 which i don't want to do. Taking a step back i think will remotivate myself to crack on with projects that i have and also have flosting around in my head.

I may do that mate, for starters my 5 is taking priority as its looking so neglected at the moment but maybe later on if work did pass my way doing it during week sounds a good idea if it is finacialy viable to do as i would have to do same thing (take time off work).

Trader
    GT Turbo Spares co.uk
    South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think alot of people realize how hard it is to hold down a full time job and then give up every Saturday, Sunday and most evenings to follow your passion. Which ever way you turn Mark, there will always be people near to support you.

Post Thanks / Like

I get pissed off working on my own GTT. Don't think I could be arsed at all to do anyone elses!

Sometimes in life you have to look after number 1!

Post Thanks / Like

I've given up my proper job to work on the Alpines or rather it has given up on me
    Lucky really that some GTA work has come in but they all need engines out and so does mine so that goes on the back burner again .
    It's always good to sit back and take a cold hard look where your life is at and change is normally for the better

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phase i 16 v turbo View Post
    I don't think alot of people realize how hard it is to hold down a full time job and then give up every Saturday, Sunday and most evenings to follow your passion. Which ever way you turn Mark, there will always be people near to support you.

By god you dont know how right you are mate, me and mark were so flat out last year i missed nearly 12 months of weekends with the family ! And no offence Mark but i wont miss the drive to yours every sat and sun morning !

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gttnutter View Post
    After saturdays heavy sun i dont blame you. i got home and was out for the count

Mark, we still got a few things to do to mine and the campus etc but im in there like swimwear to lend a hand on these and the red 5
    Mechanics in speedos

Post Thanks / Like

Since you won't be working on all these cars on the weekends now.....
    RTOC night on the lash?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scratcher View Post
    Since you won't be working on all these cars on the weekends now.....
    RTOC night on the lash?
    That seems a good way to kick start the social life again !

Post Thanks / Like

sad to hear your not enjoying it as much as you did but fully understandable

goodluck with whatever you do tho and all the best

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5alldaway View Post
    sad to hear your not enjoying it as much as you did but fully understandable
    I think the chance to work on my 5 will bring my enjoyment back again.

Post Thanks / Like

Hobbies should stay as hobbies