Post Thanks / Like

Opinions on 16s

What's peoples opinions with 16s on 5s? Thinking about getting some prima racing 16" wheels just for cresting and was wondering what people think? Are they much different to 15s as to performance/handleing? I'd probe have 195/40/16 proxies

Committee, South East Regional Rep James5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opinions on 16s

Quote Originally Posted by benj88 View Post
    What's peoples opinions with 16s on 5s? Thinking about getting some prima racing 16" wheels just for cresting and was wondering what people think? Are they much different to 15s as to performance/handleing? I'd probe have 195/40/16 proxies

I have had 16" alloys OZ in the past with 195/40/16 tyre and i found that I had rubbage on full lock. Also if you have lowered the 5 you may suffer with some rubbage at the rear, I ended up having to have my rear bumper and rear arch bodykit skimmed to compensate for rubbage / chaffing . I also found the handling was not as good as on the 15's and I had AVO coilovers on that 5 at the time so could make various adjustments.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

mmm sounds like a bit hassle I can't be arsed with.. Is there no way they would just go straight on? Is it an awkard job cutting things out etc?

Post Thanks / Like

mmm sounds like a bit hassle I can't be arsed with.. Is there no way they would just go straight on? Is it an awkard job cutting things out etc?

No hassle doing the cutting / skimming to be honest, the most annoying part was the catching on the inner wings with tyres.

Post Thanks / Like

I had 16's on my raider a few years ago also with the 195/40/16 tyres. I had to take a small bit out from my rear arches to stop them rubbing.

Other than that I had no issues with rubbing on the inner arches at the front, I did however use spacers, 10mm ones.

As far as handling goes I like the way it cornered on rails at high speed on very long bends but was not so great when it came to turning in on a tighter bend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by James5 View Post
    No hassle doing the cutting / skimming to be honest, the most annoying part was the catching on the inner wings with tyres.
    Mine mite not have as much as a problem because yours was probs sitting 80mil and mines just 50 springs so I think it mite be fine? Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Alright phil, that looks tidy. Did you use the spacers on the front and the back or just the front? Won't spacers on the back make it more likely to catch on the rear arch?

Would I just skim a bit off the inner arch? Any tools ud advice?! Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Mine mite not have as much as a problem because yours was probs sitting 80mil and mines just 50 springs so I think it mite be fine? Lol

that pic is of an old 5 and not the same one i have now. But she was low but more of a useable lowness unlike my present 5 gtt. If you look at rear wheel she does sit low in that pic as you can't see the top of the tyre no wonder I had rubbage. I prob might have had rubbage due to the ET fitment of the alloys i was using as they came of a Rover tomcat. I used no spacers up the front but if I had it may have made a difference. Using spacers on the rears wheels will push the wheel out towards the bodykit / arch.
    Last edited by James5; 29-06-2010 at 14:09.

Post Thanks / Like

mmm thats a nice 5 you had there james

dont think theres nothing left of G48 now though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gttnutter View Post
    mmm thats a nice 5 you had there james

dont think theres nothing left of G48 now though

What happened to it Rich?? that pic was taken over 8 years ago matey

Post Thanks / Like

Date of Liability 01 11 2007 Date of First Registration 17 08 1989 Year of Manufacture 1989 Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1397CC CO2 Emissions Not Available Fuel Type Petrol Export Marker Not Applicable Vehicle Status Unlicensed Vehicle Colour GREY

Post Thanks / Like

last i heard he was wanting me to break it for him, that didnt surface and now i think he broke it sold it or scrapped it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gttnutter View Post
    last i heard he was wanting me to break it for him, that didnt surface and now i think he broke it sold it or scrapped it!

Shame I would have bought that 5 back

Post Thanks / Like

i run 7.5x16's on mine and get no rubbing on full lock, only when they catch the arch but thats because im running it too low.

ive got 195/40r16 toyos on it atm.
    the ride is noticably more firmer than my old williams wheels with 195/45r15's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_b View Post
    i run 7.5x16's on mine and get no rubbing on full lock, only when they catch the arch but thats because im running it too low.

ive got 195/40r16 toyos on it atm.
    the ride is noticably more firmer than my old williams wheels with 195/45r15's
    Cool, I liked yours with the Williams wheels on aswel, would you say there's much difference between 15s and 16s with power? Does it feel slower with 16s or does it not make much difference?

Post Thanks / Like

Something to bear in mind is the bigger the wheels the more stress you end up putting on the suspension components, bottom ball joints track rod ends and wheel bearings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Walker View Post
    Something to bear in mind is the bigger the wheels the more stress you end up putting on the suspension components, bottom ball joints track rod ends and wheel bearings.
    Good point mate, iv found that out with other cars iv had lol

Post Thanks / Like

i run 16" rims.i had to use 3mm spacers on the frount to clear on lock but no mods to any body work

Post Thanks / Like

mine is on 16's too... no spacers, slight trimming to rear arches but no rubbing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam 005 View Post
    i run 16" rims.i had to use 3mm spacers on the frount to clear on lock but no mods to any body work

Sweet mate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markey b View Post
    mine is on 16's too... no spacers, slight trimming to rear arches but no rubbing
    Nice one mate, I can't see it been to big of a job there seems to be plenty of room and if I get 16x 7 it should be ok, everytime I go to frenchy and see yours and pascals 5s it makes me want 16s!

Post Thanks / Like

Alright phil, that looks tidy. Did you use the spacers on the front and the back or just the front? Won't spacers on the back make it more likely to catch on the rear arch?

Would I just skim a bit off the inner arch? Any tools ud advice?! Lol
    Only had spacers on the front. All I did for the rear arches was let the wheels break em! smoothed them out with some sand paper and touched them up with a bit of paint.

Post Thanks / Like

My 16's only rubbed on the front on full lock with 5mm spacers running 195/40's. Got to be honest though it runs so much better on 15's i wont be going back.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet mate
    many thanks.
    this pics shows better how low the car is.i have to say that i run 16" because of the look.if you run 15" the car will drive a lot better and save your pocket on tyre costs.but it depends on what you want from the car

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers for everyones feedback, yeh I just like the look really, idealy I'd rather get some 15" azev c's but so hard to find!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool, I liked yours with the Williams wheels on aswel, would you say there's much difference between 15s and 16s with power? Does it feel slower with 16s or does it not make much difference?

there isnt much diff really in speed tbh. the rolling raidius of my old 195/45r15's is the same as my 195/40r16's.

mines purely just for looks but i think if i was to change i would prob go for turbines or another set of williams wheels